• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got the bike out and rode about 3 hours. The temps were in the upper 40s (F) and my hand has healed enough I can twist the throttle for a few hours before it becomes intolerable. I geared up and rode over to Madison Indiana-the road by the river was still closed (due to dried mud still on most of the road) and the river was only inches below the road anyways. Crossed the bridge over to Milton and rode Highway 36 to Carrolton. I saw many houses along the river in Milton was in the clean up process (river mud everywhere). Connected with US42 and rode to Markland Dam, crossed back over into Indiana and stopped at the Markland park, just west of the dam. Dang the water is still high-angry, roiling water. It was getting a little cool with the wind coming off the water so I got back on the bike and rode Hwy 56 west thru Madison and Hanover. Hanover is home of Hanover College. A few notably people have graduated from Hanover College-our current Vice President and actor Woody Harrelson (sp?). I hooked up with Hwy 356 and rode it to Vienna Indiana-nice little curvy, meandering road. 8 miles from Vienna and I was back home. Sorry, no pics as I was in riding mode and didn't even think about taking pictures of the river, mud, people cleaning the mud. Cool, brisk, but a beautiful day to be riding. I thought I would have seen more bikes out, did see a few but I guess it wasn't warm enough for most....

We got 4” of snow yesterday. I’m bored.

Tank grips added:

417798d15f668527f3bb0e71774bddeb.jpg

New tires! Michelin Road 5.

ad49311e5f14d0f0dabbab91467f5ddf.jpg

10,000 miles on the Pilot Road 4s:
Anyone else in the square tire club? :)

251b1140a04f832dd4718438d084cfa3.jpg

Easy with the proper tools:

cc790b820211e6176523034ba58caf29.jpg

Old tire ready to pitch in the lake! (J/k!)
2d5d840f3b9545d84cecc79b5e2b18f2.jpg

I rode up to Pittsburg, Kansas to do some research. It was sunny but cooler than I expected, and quite windy.

The Hot Wired gear did the job on the cold, but the wind was pushing me around some. It felt good to be out on the road. About 120 miles.

I could see a lot of the college students eyeing the bike.

RP, I have that exact helmet, white Neotec. There was a New Zealand study that said the best color combo for riders is white helmet and high viz jacket.

Last edited:
Yesterday I bought my 3rd Shoei helmet, the Neotec 2017 in plain white color. Goes very well with my bike.

View attachment 35774

I have this exact helmet and when I replace it, I’m getting the same. (Keep the visors and such...)

I put a SENA 10U in mine, works great. I also put an Echo Quick Release buckle on the chin strap.

Yesterday I bought my 3rd Shoei helmet, the Neotec 2017 in plain white color. Goes very well with my bike.

View attachment 35774

OK, this may seem like a trivial question to some, but here goes. Is that big Shoei name on the helmet a sticker that can be easily removed, or is it imbedded under a clear coat or something? I’m not a fan of having words on my clothing and gear. That helmet would look great without the label on it. I wouldn’t mind giving the Neotec a try due to the reputation it has.

I had to go look. It is a sticker. If you figure out a way to remove it without marking up the helmet let us know.

I had to go look. It is a sticker. If you figure out a way to remove it without marking up the helmet let us know.

Good to know! Thanks.

I hate stickers, so like the hundreds or maybe thousands of other stickers I've removed, I'd warm it up with a hair dryer or heat gun on very low setting, get under a corner with a fingernail or a soft plastic label remover, then peel it right off. Clean up the residue with mild paint thinner or adhesive remover. I've never had a problem with any finish being damaged. With the high cost of a Shoei, I'd expect them to use high quality paint.

Last edited:
Goo Gone or undiluted citrasolve works great, or at least it did on my old HJC. I've read that smearing it with creamy peanut butter works too. The key is that the adhesive is soluble in an oil.

I'm pretty sure that the brand name sticker is applied before the clear varnish layers were sprayed on, which encapsules the sticker... This makes sense as I often use alcohol (isopropanol 96%) to clean the shell. If the sticker was applied on top of this varnish, it would have come off at the first cleaning.

Last edited:
Got to ride to work for the last couple of days. Temp in the morning on Tuesday was 29 when I left for work. Thank heavens for heated gloves....

Also tested the new spot light / driving lights with the Skene controller. Very Cool!
>T

Hello all. It's been miserable weather here as well. Today at least it's warmer and rainy all day. Tomorrow and for the next couple of days it's supposed to nearly 60f and sunny!! Yesterday-(does that count)I installed my new K+N air filter and am excited to ride it to see what the mileage difference will be. My 17 tooth front sprocket arrived today, but i'm going to wait to install it until i've ridden at least a tank through it with the new filter first. Trying to keep track of the individual gain/lose MPG for each item. Ride on! :{)

I have this exact helmet and when I replace it, I’m getting the same. (Keep the visors and such...)

I put a SENA 10U in mine, works great. I also put an Echo Quick Release buckle on the chin strap.

My son got one for Christmas from some seller in Great Britain I think (good price too!!) and it has a quick closure and release thingy I have never seen in the USA before. Really slick. It will probably be my next helmet even though it COSTS!

Did more bike maintenance.

First order of business, the Cheap Chinese lenses came in for my LED blinkers. They really modernize the look of the bike:

b4eeee3d41d8c3b5f0cdc74e7dbcaa1b.jpg

8b0cb5070682ce436ba7ac62749bb125.jpg

da6f2b04e2bf277ae47d138d4e476d11.jpg

Second: I put the back tire on. I forgot how much of a PITA this is without removing the rear brake. I did pop the pads out for inspection and cleaning.

Third: I removed the front tire and mounted the Michelin Road 5. While I was down there I cleaned and inspected the front brake. My pads were all but gone and I can’t believe I rode on these last year:

26307ed82b779a95bddcb7a08ff860d8.jpg

No problem, new pads!

84ee3b7064dd62b64bec9515bb748478.jpg

Finally, I ran all new brake fluid through the front and rear, bleeding the lines etc... Old stuff was a little cloudy.

I will probably change the oil closer to riding time.

Today I installed my Riderscan wide angle mirror. It fits nicely on the Puig touring windshield and does give a very wide angle view. With it mounted in the middle like it is, it only shows something next to you just as they come around your elbow in the view. Not as great as I had hoped but okay.

Ordered Kappa K33N side bags. I think I am down to 1 major purchase (skid plate), and 2 small purchases ( handlebar risers and cell phone mount) left to get My bike to 99% of what I want.

I just picked this bike up a couple of weeks ago and haven't been able to really ride it yet due to uncooperative weather (and work) here in CT. Today I found some time to at least pull it out of the garage and start thinking about upgrades.

1st thing will probably be to refresh my old Cortec tail bag I took off of my old bike and throw it on the rack. Next up will probably be a radiator guard. We'll see where things go from there...

IMG_20180310_152643.jpg

IMG_20180310_152454.jpg

IMG_20180310_153657.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back