• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018-2020 NC750X differences?

That's highly nice. Thanks a lot for answering. I had thought 2018 was the first year for 745 cc's, but it was 2016?

I'm pretty sure 2016 and 2017 were new body style but still had the 700 engine, then they swapped to the 750 engine in 2018 (hence the increase in rpm redline also changing in that year), and in same body style. In the US at least. This is my understanding anyways, which could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure 2016 and 2017 were new body style but still had the 700 engine, then they swapped to the 750 engine in 2018 (hence the increase in rpm redline also changing in that year), and in same body style. In the US at least. This is my understanding anyways, which could be wrong.

My memory is hazy, but I think you’re right. I also think that Europe got the 750 around 2016, but the US had to wait until 2018. I could be wrong and I’m too lazy to look it up.

You are CORRECT (for the USA spec models)

We own a 2016 (wife's bike) and a 2018 (mine) and they are identical frame/body panels, etc.

LED headlamp and taillamp, engine, and traction control were added in 2018.

DCT was upgraded in 2016, in addition to the change of the plastics all around.

I've not ridden a 2012 to 2015 DCT variant but from what I've heard, the 2016 upgrade improved the rider feel/experience. Not sure if it did anything else. But US spec bikes produced in 2016 and newer have the 3rd generation DCT transmission.

I'd like to ride a newer DCT (or just buy one LOL) and compare. D mode is useless on my 2013. Sport mode is good, but I still use buttons to override shifts here and there, but thats mostly because I ride a little on the aggressive side.

Are there any *functional* diff's between 2018 and 2020 DCTs?
Well there are really no major FUNCTIONAL differences between the 2016 and the 2018 either other than the LEDs and the engine.

The engine goes from 670cc to 745cc in the 2018 and the power/rev curve change a little bit but I think the overall riding character is still very similar between the two engines assuming both have the DCT transmission. '18 picks up LEDs and Traction Control. The LEDs are nice, the LEDs are an actual functional upgrade.. The TC is not really used unless you want to be an active gravel rider so I'd hate to argue that TC is actually a functional upgrade when most riders probably will not be using it frequently, if at all. But it fits the "adventure look" of a bike that is actually designed as a commuter bike, and gives it a bit of 'adventure' credibility even if it is mostly unused.

From what I am able to understand from people is that the real functional difference is the DCT upgrade from the Generation 2 version that is in the PRE-2016 models to the Generation 3 version in the 2016 through 2020 models. As has been described to me by people who have ridden both (I have not) is that the Gen 3 DCT is a fairly big leap forward in rider satisfaction.

* Clearly these are my OPINIONS, worth exactly what you paid for them. Others may differ. I won't argue. But don't call me Shirley!

Last edited:
Back