• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017 OEM heated grips

bucho65

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I did a search and I couldn't find an answer.

I am looking to get heated grips for my 2017 NC700x and the Honda site lists 2 different kits. Heated Grips with Attachment Kit 08T70-MJN-A01 $229.95 and Heated Grips 08T70-MJM-A01 $244.95. Would either kit work and does anyone what the difference is? Also is there a preferred vendor to go through that supports the site?

Thanks,
Brian

Hondapartsnation.com

2013 Honda NC700X Grips & Pegs, Honda Accessories

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hello,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I did a search and I couldn't find an answer.

I am looking to get heated grips for my 2017 NC700x and the Honda site lists 2 different kits. Heated Grips with Attachment Kit 08T70-MJN-A01 $229.95 and Heated Grips 08T70-MJM-A01 $244.95. Would either kit work and does anyone what the difference is? Also is there a preferred vendor to go through that supports the site?

Thanks,
Brian
Don't use the part number from the previous post's link because it is for a different model year than yours.

I don't know yet what the difference is in the MJM vs the MJN kits. I wouldn't be surprised though, if one was the grips and one was the attachment kit, such that you need to buy them both. That's the way Honda does things. Pretty expensive, huh?

The descriptions from the Honda site:
[h=6]Heated Grips[/h]Slim heated grips with integrated control. *Integrated circuit helps protect battery from draining. *Smart heat allocation focuses on the area of the hand most sensitive to cold. *Please view installation instructions for your motorcycle for further details, as additional accessory kits may be required for installation.
Color:NAPart #:08T70-MJM-A01MSRP*$244.95

Heated Grips with Attachment Kit

Required for installation of Heated Grips.
Color:NAPart #:08T70-MJN-A01MSRP*$229.95

The Honda grips have the advantage of clean integration with the bike, but there are far cheaper aftermarket options, such as Oxford. And at least for the 2012-2015 NC models, the Oxfords put out more heat than the official Honda grips.

Don't use the part number from the previous post's link because it is for a different model year than yours.

I don't know yet what the difference is in the MJM vs the MJN kits. I wouldn't be surprised though, if one was the grips and one was the attachment kit, such that you need to buy them both. That's the way Honda does things. Pretty expensive, huh?

The descriptions from the Honda site:
[h=6]Heated Grips[/h]Slim heated grips with integrated control. *Integrated circuit helps protect battery from draining. *Smart heat allocation focuses on the area of the hand most sensitive to cold. *Please view installation instructions for your motorcycle for further details, as additional accessory kits may be required for installation.
Color:NAPart #:08T70-MJM-A01MSRP*$244.95

Heated Grips with Attachment Kit

Required for installation of Heated Grips.
Color:NAPart #:08T70-MJN-A01MSRP*$229.95

The Honda grips have the advantage of clean integration with the bike, but there are far cheaper aftermarket options, such as Oxford. And at least for the 2012-2015 NC models, the Oxfords put out more heat than the official Honda grips.
I haven't met a Honda heated grip that I have liked yet. They don't seem to get very hot for cold weather. Maybe if 50 to 55 they seem fine.
Yeah, when I looked that up I forgot the year model. Still did the link so he would know where to go for a less expensive option.

2017 Honda NC700X Electrical, Honda Accessories

Last edited:
I haven't met a Honda heated grip that I have liked yet. They don't seem to get very hot for cold weather. Maybe if 50 to 55 they seem fine.

Yes, I currently have two 2012 NC700Xs, one with Oxford grips that I pad $50 for, and the other bike came with Honda grips installed. The Oxfords are better grips because there are more heat settings and they get hotter on high. In fact, I can rarely use high because they get too warm. The Hondas you can run all day on high and it's so-so warm.

Yes, I currently have two 2012 NC700Xs, one with Oxford grips that I pad $50 for, and the other bike came with Honda grips installed. The Oxfords are better grips because there are more heat settings and they get hotter on high. In fact, I can rarely use high because they get too warm. The Hondas you can run all day on high and it's so-so warm.
Exactly so-so and to get some heat you have to grip the grip tightly. Which is not comfortable for long.

I always install Symtec heated grips under the OEM hand grips of any new bike. It's one of the first things and they are much less $$ than Honda OEM accessory.

Here is another page that might shed some light. If you go to the installation kit part number link, you can access the installations directions pdf.

shop.powersports.honda.com/p/heated-grips-4/accessories_street_adventure_nc700x_2017?pp=24

I have trouble linking URLs from Honda sites, so just add your https:// if needed.

Last edited:
Bucho,
After reading about those Koso apollo grips I personally would buy those. Good review and sounds like they heat well and much less expensive than Honda. I trust webike reviews. I have bought several products after reading their reviews and I have not been disappointed.

Thanks for the links and advice. From my internet research I did read some place the 2016+ heated grips are an improvement over the earlier ones but who knows how much of an improvement. I was leaning towards getting Honda ones for a more integrated install and in my experience OEM accessories usually are less headaches down the road but Honda isn't making it easy. On top of listing 2 different models of heated grips, you also need a relay, sub-harness, and in the link 670cc posted it says you need an attachment kit. Is that the same thing as the sub-harness? Those Oxford grips are looking to be a better option and much cheaper.

Bucho,
After reading about those Koso apollo grips I personally would buy those. Good review and sounds like they heat well and much less expensive than Honda. I trust webike reviews. I have bought several products after reading their reviews and I have not been disappointed.

Didn't realize this went to 2 pages those do look like a good option too. I like the controller integrated into the grip.

Last edited:
Bucho,

Didn't realize this went to 2 pages those do look like a good option too. I like the controller integrated into the grip.
Yes, so do I. With the auto shut off I wouldn't even bother with a relay.

Yes, so do I. With the auto shut off I wouldn't even bother with a relay.

That depends on the auto shut off value ? Some of the Oxford published values are too low for my liking.
Voltage of the battery might be 13.4 at shut down. If the grip auto shut off is 12.6 or 12.8 it causes needless draw to that point.

My thought is run the relay and it provides key on/off power of all acc like GPS, USB including all brands of heated grips.

Last edited:
That depends on the auto shut off value ? Some of the Oxford published values are too low for my liking.
Voltage of the battery might be 13.4 at shut down. If the grip auto shut off is 12.6 or 12.8 it causes needless draw to that point.

My thought is run the relay and it provides key on/off power of all acc like GPS, USB including all brands of heated grips.
If you take power from an added sub panel like a Power Hub or the PDM60 I would agree. That is the better way to go if you plan on adding more electronic devices.

I was leaning towards getting Honda ones for a more integrated install and in my experience OEM accessories usually are less headaches down the road but Honda isn't making it easy.
I had the dealer install OEM heated grips on my motorcycle 50,000+ miles and four years ago. It was done before I took delivery.

I ride pretty much year round and find the grips work wonderfully.

Wearing my old, insulated gloves the grips will get too hot to touch. I rarely leave them on Hi (one of several settings). I will be heading to Tennessee on Tuesday (From Maine, assuming the roads are clear of snow) and have no concerns about keeping my hands warm.

Not sure it I just got lucky or the grips were installed perfectly or what, but never have an issue and they get HOT!

Last edited:
I used to change out grips on my Kawasaki all the time, trying to get ones that were more comfortable.

With heated grips can you change out the grips when they get worn?
Or do they not wear down as quickly as the Progrips I used to go through every year or 2?

I used to change out grips on my Kawasaki all the time, trying to get ones that were more comfortable.

With heated grips can you change out the grips when they get worn?
Or do they not wear down as quickly as the Progrips I used to go through every year or 2?

The heated grips I've used, Showchrome, Honda, and Oxford, are a medium hardness compound not prone to wear like a super soft grip might be. The Oxfords have a rough texture but a fairly hard compound, so you get grip without soft, rapid wear. I’ve never worn them out.

But to answer the question, yes, you can change them out. They just cost more and you have to deal with the wiring.

Last edited:
I had Oxford heated grips on my Versys and just installed them on my NC, they're fantastic. There's 4 or 5 power settings. They're a larger circumference than the factory grips too so for me, they're more comfortable that way as well. I got them at Revzilla, they're about $90.

Back