• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bring your motorcycle rain gear and wear it if it rains. Right now, the forecast for Friday (0%), Saturday (60% spotty t-storms), Sunday (80% thunderstorms, especially in the late afternoon). Isnt Friday the Dressage, Saturday the steeplechase course, and Sunday the showjumping. If so, you may luck out and have no rain while the competitions are going on. Thunderstorms in this area have a tendency to wait until after 2pm ET to start. Perfect temps forecasted-lows in the mid 50s and highs in the mid 70s.

Correct, except they took the steeplechase out and shortened endurance day to just cross country jumping. Show jumping doesn't start until 1pm or so Sunday, but we'll see. Apparently rain at Rolex is a tradition. *Shrug* I guess I'll see how waterproof my new boots are.

Correct, except they took the steeplechase out and shortened endurance day to just cross country jumping. Show jumping doesn't start until 1pm or so Sunday, but we'll see. Apparently rain at Rolex is a tradition. *Shrug* I guess I'll see how waterproof my new boots are.
It is a tradition (at lease one of the 3 days to be a soggy mess). Too bad I have to work this weekend (I work in Louisville) or I would ride over and meet a fellow forum member I have never met. Be safe and hope you have a good time.

I found a covered bridge in Georgia:

IMG_0306-L.jpg

IMG_0309-L.jpg

Rode a little over 500 miles (by far my longest day since surgery) from southern PA to Lexington, KY. Stopped halfway at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum for a tour and to dump a small pond out of my boots. Things mostly cleared up after that, some isolated stuff and I was almost dry by the time I got camp set up.
Pictures will have to wait until I get back to an actual computer.

Did my first ever non-machine tire change on the rear tire! I needed another Michelin Pilot-4, (nail) It wasn't easy, but I made barely nay rim scuffs. Well, until..after the Feral-Cat happy dance and Sake toast, um...(shakes tire), 'rattle-rattle'.
"Um, where's my other rim protector piece?" shakes tire- 'rattle-rattle'
UH-OH! :eek:
Scratched it up just a bit on the dismount, retrieve rim protector, re-mount... GRRRR!
But it was 'MY' first uh 2 tire changes like that! And that's also why there's touch up paint! :D

Last edited:
Rode a little over 500 miles (by far my longest day since surgery) from southern PA to Lexington, KY. Stopped halfway at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum for a tour and to dump a small pond out of my boots. Things mostly cleared up after that, some isolated stuff and I was almost dry by the time I got camp set up.
Pictures will have to wait until I get back to an actual computer.
Have fun today and enjoy the weather. Unfortunately, weather forecast for today and tomorrow looks like a very wet weekend.

I wondered why those old bridges were covered. Now I know. Makes sense.

I wondered why those old bridges were covered. Now I know. Makes sense.

Heh.
Why are covered bridges covered?
Why are covered bridges covered? That's a good question and there is a lot of speculation as to why old covered bridges were covered.

Covered bridges may have been covered for many reasons. To speculate, the biggest reason was to protect the wooden structure from the weather. Rain, snow, ice and the sun all make wooden bridges fail much faster. By covering the wooden bridge, the bridge would last longer. Most claim that is the reason why covered bridges are covered.

Covered bridges are also covered to help get cattle over the bridge, the sight of the rushing water scared the cattle and made them hesitate going over the bridge. It would also prevent the cattle from stampeding across the bridge. Some towns used to fine people if their horses or other cattle went over the bridge too fast, claiming it was damaging to the bridge.

Covered bridges were also covered to keep the rain off the wooden deck of the bridge which would make it very slippery. The roofs on covered bridges also kept the snow off the bridge.

Some also say the roof and walls on a covered bridge covered up the ugly trusses, and also provided shelter in bad weather.

Engineers also claim that the reason why covered bridges are covered was that the roof and walls help strengthen the covered bridges, adding to the reason to cover a bridge.

Today, covered bridges are built only to attract tourists and really serve no modern day purpose.

When I was a kid I liked the echo.........:)

I'm thinking the 700's get better gas mileage than the 750's I'm only getting 60.1 so far.

If I recall correctly, Honda touted slightly improved mileage (over the 700) with the introduction of the 750. The only way to prove that would be a side by side with the same riding style, ambient temperature, elevation, wind direction, etc.

You get 60.1 because of how you ride. If you want to improve it, you have to ride differently. If you're content with the mileage, then just go have fun!

I found a covered bridge in Georgia:

IMG_0306-L.jpg

The water looks a little green!

Covered bridges protected the wooden structural members from the elements, but, ironically, snow was often shovelled onto the deck during the winter to protect the surface from the skids of horse-drawn sleds.

Last edited:
Initial oil change 1000 km

I changed my oil, not very exciting but here are some pictures!

bike2.jpg
bike.jpg
under.jpg
funnel.jpg
clutch.jpg
fill oil.jpg

Can someone tell me what MGS & D stand for?
dipstick.jpg

Barely tightened everything up then rode down to Princess Auto to buy a 3/8" drive torque wrench as my 1/2 drive seemed like overkill.

wrench.jpg

Next, clean and oil the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back