• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 Laser Key

sumo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While picking up my bike today I tried to buy an extra (third) key. I was told that 'they can't make a key like that.' The locksmith that they use down the road can't make a key like that. They called Honda Canada who suggested that they need to buy a $500 laser key cutting machine. Honda does have 'blanks' $42 each. The dealer is not buying that machine because besides my bike they have never seen a key like that and the other Honda 2016 models don't have this type of key. Supposedly there is a place in Toronto that can 'laser' the blank for me.

On the bleeding edge!

How did you like your first ride Sumo ?

When I moved my right thumb to press the electric start the fingers on my left hand groped for a clutch lever that wasn't there. I wondered why? It has been 25 years since my last motorcycle, but wait...last season I rode a scooter, no clutch but maybe my left hand was going for the rear brake lever which I would apply when starting the engine, yes that must be it.

At 130 km/h I was getting beat up, got off the highway, paused at a stop sign and then accelerated to just over the speed limit of 80 km/h, "look I'm in sixth gear"...yes NOT changing gears is nice! What's amazing is that people think I'm missing out on something, like slogging through the gears 'IS' the motorcycle experience.

DCT: I found S3 more to my liking than D.

Muffler: I came rolling into my subdivision slow and quiet, nice, I won't be changing the muffler.

Today I put on 86 km's and I'm happy with my new bike.

Update: I MUST apply the brake (front or back) to start the scooter.

Last edited:
One benefit of not having the HISS security system on the bikes sold in the US is the low cost of making copies of the keys. I think it cost me $10 to have a locksmith I know cut the 4 keys that I provided to him.

One benefit of not having the HISS security system on the bikes sold in the US is the low cost of making copies of the keys. I think it cost me $10 to have a locksmith I know cut the 4 keys that I provided to him.

Ahh, but we Canucks don't get the HISS either, so this new fangled laser key thing is something yet again to throw into the $$$ mix, sigh lol

When I moved my right thumb to press the electric start the fingers on my left hand groped for a clutch lever that wasn't there. I wondered why? It has been 25 years since my last motorcycle, but wait...last season I rode a scooter, no clutch but maybe my left hand was going for the rear brake lever which I would apply when starting the engine, yes that must be it.

At 130 km/h I was getting beat up, got off the highway, paused at a stop sign and then accelerated to just over the speed limit of 80 km/h, "look I'm in sixth gear"...yes NOT changing gears is nice! What's amazing is that people think I'm missing out on something, like slogging through the gears 'IS' the motorcycle experience.

DCT: I found S3 more to my liking than D.

Muffler: I came rolling into my subdivision slow and quiet, nice, I won't be changing the muffler.

Today I put on 86 km's and I'm happy with my new bike.

Update: I MUST apply the brake (front or back) to start the scooter.

I think it's very poor taste for the old school manual gear change crowd to disparage or poo poo the act of riding a motorcycle without the need to change gears if unwanted.

Having said that, I really do like my motorcycle experience to involve the mechanical/human poetry of the perfect shift, as dull and mundane as it is usually thought of.

The sublime rev match, that impossible to duplicate high pitched gear whine sound of first gear spooling up in the transmission, when you are shifting down from a higher gear and still going too fast to completely let the clutch out, but are gently feathering it, and simultaneously braking to match the estimated decreasing speed, which will not result in a locked up wheel, but a gentle acceptance of traction and smooth operation and control. (that was difficult to describe, and I probably did a sucky job of it, but it's one of those things, lol)

I most assuredly don't like, a stiff clutch pull and constant wrist tendon stretching grief while stuck in stop and go rush hour traffic! hahaha

I like to be able to select which gear I want to tackle a particular stretch of road with and to engine brake when the normal brakes fail. Learned to drive on a stick shift and still do.

On a car, I don't mind it. On a bike where I need to pay attention to so much more, I dislike the clutch, throttle, shifter dance I have to do each time. Especially in stop and go traffic where lane-splitting is not allowed.

I expect I'll do most of my riding in one of the S modes, manually bumping up or down when I feel the need to. Even though it may not be the perfect automatic shifter, as it does not know the road ahead, it's still less effort and attention than manually shifting.

How often do your normal brakes fail that you find yourself relying on engine braking? I'd think routine maintenance would be a better option.

Not pointing fingers or singling out anyone here

I'm guilty of veering off topic as well,:eek: but out of courtesy let's not trainwreck sumo's thread unless he doesn't mind or has no problems about it going further astray. ;)

The ignition cylinder on my 2015 DCT is rather "sloppy" IMO. It kinda moves around putting the key in, especially if I've locked the handlebars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2016 does that too, even with the fancy laser key. I bet with a big enough flathead screwdriver and/or some kicking on the handlebars, the lock doesn't matter. :)

While picking up my bike today I tried to buy an extra (third) key. I was told that 'they can't make a key like that.' The locksmith that they use down the road can't make a key like that. They called Honda Canada who suggested that they need to buy a $500 laser key cutting machine. Honda does have 'blanks' $42 each. The dealer is not buying that machine because besides my bike they have never seen a key like that and the other Honda 2016 models don't have this type of key. Supposedly there is a place in Toronto that can 'laser' the blank for me.

On the bleeding edge!

I had the need to get a duplicate key for a Ford car. Like you found, the local locksmith doesn't want to buy the machine to make the laser cut key. The Ford car dealer just took my VIN, some proof that I owned the car, and $40, and by the next day Ford had shipped them a new key that fit my car exactly. Does Honda have a service like this on the automobile side, and do they possibly do it with the bikes as well?

I had the need to get a duplicate key for a Ford car. Like you found, the local locksmith doesn't want to buy the machine to make the laser cut key. The Ford car dealer just took my VIN, some proof that I owned the car, and $40, and by the next day Ford had shipped them a new key that fit my car exactly. Does Honda have a service like this on the automobile side, and do they possibly do it with the bikes as well?

Yes, my dealer can get a blank $42 but cannot cut it. A local locksmith can cut it for $25. So I could get another key if I really needed it but it would cost me $75 with taxes. That is more than I am willing to pay for a dedicated frunk key. Duplicates of pre 2016 keys can be had for under $10.

It's interesting that the Ford key is precut, maybe the $42 'blank' that the dealer quoted me is in fact precut. It would not be the first time that they didn't have their facts straight.

Back