• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they were done mounting it, they said they didn't need to put any weights on it to balance-actually removed the one weight which was on the wheel for the previous tire, it was good. I was skeptical but this morning on my commute to work (40 miles one way-32 miles on the Interstate)-the tire is balanced-no vibes. Cool.

Same here with a Michelin PR4 set. No vibes and no weights. Awesome :D

I can't figure it out. You folks in the US seem to get huge mileage out of your tyres. I would consider myself doing very well to get 8000 miles out of a set of tyres but you folks are getting double that ?

I generally replace my tyres when they are clearly well worn and slightly beyond the legal limit. At that point they are sufficiently worn to be affecting the handling of the bike adversely. I still only get about 8000 miles though, if that.
1st factor is road surface. Different styles of pavement impact wear on tire. Second is no government inspections of tires over here. Note all the threads of someone reluctantly changing a tire because the cords are showing. That said I have not yet achieved 8,000 miles on a rear tire.

I can't figure it out. You folks in the US seem to get huge mileage out of your tyres. I would consider myself doing very well to get 8000 miles out of a set of tyres but you folks are getting double that ?

I generally replace my tyres when they are clearly well worn and slightly beyond the legal limit. At that point they are sufficiently worn to be affecting the handling of the bike adversely. I still only get about 8000 miles though, if that.

A big factor is how you ride. I have never gotten more then 10K miles out of a front tire and no more then 9K out of rear tire. I average about 7K on back and 8K on front depending on tire brand. The second factor would be the surfaces you are riding on. Not sure how you would get 16K out a tire. You would have to really baby it.

I change tires if they hit the wear bars. I also usually change the rear at the start of the riding season so I don't have worry about it. Tires are the most critical component on the bike. I don't cut corners.

some of our roads are gritted this will have an impact on our tyres.
the most that I ever get out of a rear tyre is mostly in the 7,000 miles
my last tyre which I've just replaced has done only 5,500 miles which I think is pisspoor.
met z8 they were,got pr3 on now so we'll see how long they will last.
Bircham_Road_surfacing.jpg

some of our roads are gritted this will have an impact on our tyres.
the most that I ever get out of a rear tyre is mostly in the 7,000 miles
my last tyre which I've just replaced has done only 5,500 miles which I think is pisspoor.
met z8 they were,got pr3 on now so we'll see how long they will last.
Bircham_Road_surfacing.jpg

This more or less coincides with what I have experienced. On average I get about 6000 miles out of a back tyre, even less on the Triumph, and I am not excessively heavy handed on the throttle of either bike . The one time I got 8000+ out of a tyre was the back OEM tyre of my Sliverwing Scooter. That was an IRC tyre that also gripped well, but I was never able to get one again over here.

I don't think you will do any better out of a PR3 John, but they are excellent tyres otherwise that suit the NC well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I did my Steamboat Springs ride today as I had hoped.

I left my house at 8am and returned after about 12-1/2 hours! On the way up the mountain, I went through Estes Park and on up Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. I wasn't planning on having breakfast, but I needed a break anyway so I stopped at the Egg & I in Estes Park. Highly recommended. The Egg & I restaurant was started by a guy here in Larimer County and my understanding is that he's now franchising the operation so they're opening up in more distant locales.

The Trail Ridge Road portion of the ride was uneventful. It was pretty chilly at the top so I was glad to have my heavy riding jacket AND the insulated liner along with my winter riding gloves. I think it was around 42 degrees at the top with slightly wet roads, but little if any splash back.

I rode on through Grand Lake and took a right turn at Hwy 40 towards Steamboat through the little towns of Hot Sulpher Springs, Parshall, Kremmling, etc. I stopped at Dari-Delite in Hot Sulpher Springs to stretch my legs and have a Diet Coke.

daridelite.jpg

From there, I continued on to Steamboat Springs. Steamboat is kinda a ski town, kinda a rodeo town, kinda a summer events town. It's about 90 minutes beyond most of the other resort areas off in the north central part of the state. i suppose it's accurate to call it a "destination resort" because most people don't visit for just the day. Something about the extra 90 minutes of driving that turns people off… In any case, I really love the place. My parents owned some land up there in the late 60's, early 70's so I've been visiting there pretty much all my life. More recently, my nieces have been playing softball tournaments up there almost every summer. I tag along and rent a condo for the week most years. I'm starting to consider buying a small condo for a weekend getaway so I spent a little time driving around town today looking at potential targets.

sbssign.jpg

I had lunch slightly off the beaten path. This time of the year is kinda a dead zone with regard to the standard onslaught of tourists in town. The kids are back in school so the summer season's pretty much over, but it's not snowing so it's too early for ski season. They actually call it mud season because it'll start raining soon and will be wet until it starts snowing in earnest within the next 6 weeks or so. In any case, I enjoyed a quiet (solitary) meal at the Back Door Grill (825 Oak Street).

backdoorgrill.jpg

As I mentioned before, after lunch I drove around town a bit trying to get a feel for where I might want a vacation place. I ski, but I'm not big time into it so I don't need to spend the extra 50% to get a ski-in / ski-out place. In general, what I'm finding is that I can afford the purchase price on many of the units, but the Association fees are astronomical… Like $400 to $1000 PER MONTH!

I left town via Highway 40 again, but turned towards Walden on Highway 14 instead of continuing back towards Granby. As someone mentioned before, the Poudre Canyon west of Fort Collins is a nice drive. The North Park area where Walden is located is only slightly more scenic than Interstate 70 through Kansas. It gets a little better as you approach the eastern edge of the valley. I took this picture near Gould, Colorado. Winter's coming… the aspens are already starting to change!

aspens.jpg

This is already a ridiculously long post so I'll wrap it up. Cameron Pass is at the western edge of the Poudre Canyon. I followed the Poudre to northwest Fort Collins and headed home from there. (Actually I stopped for a sandwich on the way home because I don't cook and I have no food in the house! Ah, the life of a bachelor…)

cameronpass.jpg

360 miles today with a total of 1360 miles during the first month of ownership of my NC700. I still think the stock seat sucks, but that will be remedied soon. My Seat Concepts seat has shipped and should arrive next Tuesday. Other than that, I really love this bike.

Last edited:
Rain in forecast but took a ride anyway. Needed to test my Revit Pacific H20 rain gear I have been carrying around for a month. Kept me dry.

Holy Mackeral.

A size chart for tall!!!!
Tall Length

Size Waist (in) Hips (in) Inseam (in) Outseam (in)
48 33-34 37-40 33 43
50 34-35 39-41 34 43
52 36-37 41-42 34 44
54 38-40 42-43 34 45
56 40-42 44-45 35 45

Maybe I can get one that sort of fits.
I must have missed this in the recent thread on rain suits.
Woohoo!!

<edit> BooHoo. Revzilla size choices are still just x, 2x etc.

Last edited:
Nebraskagirl and I went to Wichita, KS via the scenic route, 294 miles! Weather was perfect and the Flint Hills were green and lush. Awesome day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Made it to just outside of Salina, KS and my buddy's BMW started to disintegrate. Flat tire, tube ruined, rim liner in a million pieces. It's 4pm and no BMW dealership. Call around and found an independent cruiser shop that says he can rig up a liner to work. Load tire on back of the NC and take it to get it fixed. Shop owner was great. Dropped what he's was doing and went to work. Showed me some tips dealing with tubes. Took it back and buddy installed it on bike. Moral of the story, if you ride a BMW, have a Honda riding buddy along with you.

Heh.

One reason I have another Honda.

86,000 miles is the most I have ever put on one. Never left me on the side of the road unless you count the campsite where it was raining and I went and helped some helpless campers put up their tent and returned to find my bike on its side (ground got soft and side stand sunk in) and on top of my tent. Wet night and would not start in morning.???? Wet points ??? I was due and just did a complete tune-up and off I went.
Go Honda!!

I did a couple of hundred miles today. Sought out some gravel roads. Got in about 20 miles of that. Had biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast, hotdogs for lunch, saw a tractor show complete with top fuel dragster in Bear Creek. Went through Cumnock, Carthage, Sweet Springs, Liberty, and Aunt Bee's resting place, Siler city. Saw a store that had been turned into a house by an interesting lady and decorated similarly. She invited me back in a month to see the weeds by the train tracks bloom. Stopped and visited with an old friend. Was a good day and the NC just hummed along.

Almost forgot....two tanks of gas at 68 mpg.

0829151015a_zpskhzzz9fw.jpg

0829151037a_zpsmr3qlxos.jpg

0829151132_zpszomfw5zp.jpg

0829151139_zpscnu1lqck.jpg

0829151145a_zpsz4ymnvdf.jpg

0829151214a_zpsty0b17i1.jpg

0829151239b_zpshbaxxvzh.jpg

0829151239c_zpssel9zdxy.jpg

0829151242a_zpsjuqwnj8c.jpg

0829151404_zpsa1enylls.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.