• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 NC700 DCT clunking and shuttering

Bike Zeus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I'm inquiring about an issue experiencing with 2015 NC700 DCT. The bike has 11K miles on it. When in "D" the bike will shutter violently and make loud knocking sounds. This happens under load, at lower RPM, when the motor is bogged down and when travelling a constant rate at the low RPM. Seems to be mostly in 2nd and 6th gear. When I switch to "S" the problem goes away completely. I have not found any similar issues in the forums or web search being noted. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I've read about the Reset for when the clutch plates are replaced and the pin breakage causing it to not shift at all. It does shift and will do highway speeds, though it does feel rough at highway. Like the engine is misfiring, but I'm pretty sure it is the transmission. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. At least so I can be versed in the issue when I consult a mechanic or Honda.

Is this motorcycle new to you? If not, has it worked better in the past but now it is worse?

My first impression is that what you are experiencing is normal for this bike, but we need more details on the symptoms and their onset, and your history with the bike.

I am a little confused that you’re having a DCT bike problem but the bike in your avatar photo clearly has a manual transmission.
988EE338-08EC-480E-AF07-37ADF08EFBE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes. I have a manual transmission bike (avatar) and a DCT. The DCT is new to me, not that it should matter what my avatar is. The behavior of the DCT is decidedly not normal, IMO. I'm not sure how to "show" what is happening other than try and capture video/audio of the issue. I can only liken it to a car motor with a knocking piston rod. Loud, chattery, and causes the bike to shake. That is not normal. I do not have any history on the bike, or how it was running previously. I just know this is abnormal. My 2012 NC700x is an amazing bike. I have ridden other DCT NCs and an Africa Twin DCT.

Last edited:
I would focus on what RPM you are running at, particularly under load. On your manual bike, you are probably going to chose your gear and RPM to avoid low RPM/high loads that cause knocking, clunking, and stutter. DCT D mode typically runs the bike at the lowest RPM possible for engine operation to maximize fuel economy. If you like S mode better, then use it. Or just go to manual mode on the DCT and put it in whatever gear you want just like your manual transmission bike.

This may be the nature of the beast, but we don’t know what your expectations are. If you want to investigate whether the DCT engine has any problems, I would start going through the normal maintenance routines and make sure everything is correct. Particularly I would verify that the cam chain timing is correct and that the valve clearances are properly adjusted. If the bike has sat a long time, you might run some fuel injector cleaner through it, but I doubt that will make any difference. As for the DCT clutch initialization procedure, that can’t hurt anything but really has nothing to do with your described symptoms.

Hello, I'm inquiring about an issue experiencing with 2015 NC700 DCT. The bike has 11K miles on it. When in "D" the bike will shutter violently and make loud knocking sounds. This happens under load, at lower RPM, when the motor is bogged down and when travelling a constant rate at the low RPM. Seems to be mostly in 2nd and 6th gear. When I switch to "S" the problem goes away completely. I have not found any similar issues in the forums or web search being noted. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I've read about the Reset for when the clutch plates are replaced and the pin breakage causing it to not shift at all. It does shift and will do highway speeds, though it does feel rough at highway. Like the engine is misfiring, but I'm pretty sure it is the transmission. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. At least so I can be versed in the issue when I consult a mechanic or Honda.
Do the cheap and easy stuff first. Would be a bummer to tear into things and then find out the fix was easy. There are YouTube videos on the DCT reset. Believe me, this is very effective. I also recommend making a quick check of your battery terminal connections. Both of the things I just mentioned have affected me and both have fixed the respective problems.

Have you tried the DCT reset? Here it is if you need to try it
Start the engine.
Select N
Stop the engine.
While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow ‘engine' symbol goes out on the dash, then release D
Press in fast sequence: DDNDN
On the dash, the letters D and S should appear together
Restart engine, allow it to idle.
After a few seconds, the letters D and S should go out.

Keep in mind you must warm up the motor first or you will get an error and it will flash L where the gear is selected pre 2015 models you must keep the throttle closed before doing the ddndn anything after 2015 throttle must be held fully open.

Back