• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help 2015 DCT Fender Install

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So in straightening my handlebars after doing a fork seal/oil change, the "x brace" under the front fender has become a bear to install. It's the part circled in the attached image. I've never noticed this piece before in changing tires ... is this suppose to be stuck to the inside of the fender??? It is now a separate piece and I'll be damned if I can get it back installed since I cannot hold it fast while putting i the various fender bolts, brake mount bolt, etc. I see nothing in the manual or on the fender itself that indicates its supposed to be fixed to the inside of the fender, but I cannot get it and fender remounted.

Any thoughts by anyone? Am I missing something obvious?

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 3
It's sort of a press fit in the fender. Like you, I have had it apart separately but reinstall the fender and brace as a unit.

Meant to start with, "Thanks Dave." That was helpful to know there is no real "mounting" mechanism for this brace.

I could just smack the spit out of the engr that designed this. I cannot get it to “force fit” back unless I bend it, and then the threaded holes don’t line up. I have no idea how this came to be “unforce fit” as I have not bent, dropped, wrecked or done anything to it. I guess it’s off to Babbitt’s to buy another one. Aarrggghhh.

Last edited:
I had issues with this before. I was able to overcome it. I can't remember exactly what it was. It may have been the rotation of the brace.

I had issues with this before. I was able to overcome it. I can't remember exactly what it was. It may have been the rotation of the brace.
I was trying to remember how it went back together but my 2012 was a long time ago. I just remember that it did.

I always install the brace into the fender, then install the fender and brace between the forks as a unit. Don’t lose the three little cylindrical collars.

Last edited:
I can’t get the brace to fit in the fender. It falls out as soon as I turn the fender to put in on the bike. New part ordered - we’ll see if that works. Can’t for the life of me figure out what happened. I’ve removed the fender on every tire change with no issues (didn’t even know there was a brace in there).

Can you post pictures of the brace? I recall one side was smooth and one side had protrusions.
I believe you are correct. One of the four brace attachment points has an integral spacer, according to the parts diagram, while the other three corners have three collars (two different part numbers) that are loose and installed along with the bolts. The purpose of the integral spacer, I assume, is to somewhat hold the brace in place while positioning the fender assembly.

Yes, one of the 4 points has an outboard facing spacer and sits in one of the fender holes. However, 1 point is insufficient to hold the entire brace (3 out of 4 points are floating). I wonder why they didn't put the outboard facing spacers on all the points? Anyway, I've ordered a new brace from Bobbits after trying to slightly bend the current brace in some way to get it to press-fit, and failing. After about 2 hours of futzing about I threw in the towel and order a new part. All I can figure is that somehow the current part bent slightly as I was torquing off all the fasteners when removing the forks. Seems unlikely but once it was off it sat on my workbench until I tried to put it back on, so I can't figure out what else could have happened.

Mines always stayed attached to front fender , which I guess is a good thing . Hope you get it figured out ,
maybe a little tape or glue to hold it in place , while you reinstall fender assembly

so to close this out -- the new brace came from Bobbits and it snapped right in solidly. The old one was deformed and that was the problem. Of course, right about the time I was getting ready to button everything up, the shop I use for inspections said they'd mount new tires for $35 each if I bring the wheels in. I'm just at wear bars so I'm going to take the wheels off and let them mount the tires (Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's). I've done my all my tires before but for $35 I'm going to enjoy not having the large scale PITA tire mounting is.

So in straightening my handlebars after doing a fork seal/oil change, the "x brace" under the front fender has become a bear to install. It's the part circled in the attached image. I've never noticed this piece before in changing tires ... is this suppose to be stuck to the inside of the fender??? It is now a separate piece and I'll be damned if I can get it back installed since I cannot hold it fast while putting i the various fender bolts, brake mount bolt, etc. I see nothing in the manual or on the fender itself that indicates its supposed to be fixed to the inside of the fender, but I cannot get it and fender remounted.

Any thoughts by anyone? Am I missing something obvious?

View attachment 50510

It can blow your mind a bit but stick with it, took my fender off this week and guess what, it just would not go back! At last brain clicked into gear and sorted so long as you just concentrate on holding the plate which then will hold up guard! Glad i did really cos new to me 10 year old bike and support needed a lot of ACF50 to keep it going!

Back