• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 8k Nc750 dct gearbox failure

The broken parts are no's 6 and 14 on this page.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pi...-71480-NC750SDE-2014-E_17_1-NC+750+S+DCT.html

Ive got the bike back , but i recon it'll go again in a year or 2 max. I can feel it in the gearbox

very strange indeed - some alignment error in the selector drum/forks assembly giving too much friction and the electric selector motor forces eventually causing fatigue on these parts over time?

on a manual you can feel a bit the functioning in there and do not over stress the gear change while the selector motor has no feedback and could be hammering too much on a mild existent condition - so manual or DCT there would eventually be a problem (similar traditional selector mechanisms) but with the DCT hammering all the time the problem shows up early

just guessing

Could be. ...but to me it feels as though the clutch isn't engaging enough during gear changes. Just feels notchy in low gears at low speed. 3 to 2. 2 to 1. I'm going with bike to honda tonight for them to test ride themselves.
Im now using manual hand gear change controls to minimise gear changes and so give longevity to gearbox.
If there is no solution I'll have to out this bike as I don't feel my bike has long term reliability :(

Is the clutch adjustable at all ?

Yes if, theoretically, you could somehow manipulate electric current (oil pressure) of clutch linear solenoid valve.
(BTW. dealer should be able to test solenoid valves with Honda MCS tester)

I have a 2014 standard trans. The gear box is crude in gears 1-3. Sounds like a 1960's Harley when it shifts. When I'm warming the bike up for first ride of the day I hold the clutch in for a good 60 sec before selecting first gear to avoid a loud clunk when it engages.
The clutch sounds awful with a crazy rattle when not engaged but I understand this is normal. Sure doesn't sound like a normal clutch to me. I am astounded any company would produce a mc with a clutch that sounds like that.
I have owned many motorcycles. The last Honda I owned before my nc was a 1979 cx 500. It had a pos clutch as well. So in 35 years of producing motorcycles Honda has not figured out how to produce a decent clutch.
I'll run the nc for a number of years I'm sure but it is the last Honda I will ever purchase.

I have a 2014 standard trans. The gear box is crude in gears 1-3. Sounds like a 1960's Harley when it shifts. When I'm warming the bike up for first ride of the day I hold the clutch in for a good 60 sec before selecting first gear to avoid a loud clunk when it engages.
The clutch sounds awful with a crazy rattle when not engaged but I understand this is normal. Sure doesn't sound like a normal clutch to me. I am astounded any company would produce a mc with a clutch that sounds like that.
I have owned many motorcycles. The last Honda I owned before my nc was a 1979 cx 500. It had a pos clutch as well. So in 35 years of producing motorcycles Honda has not figured out how to produce a decent clutch.
I'll run the nc for a number of years I'm sure but it is the last Honda I will ever purchase.

I always start the manual transmission bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled, then drive away. There is never a clunk and never any clutch rattle. I hate the clunk on any bike so I just avoid that situation altogether. I never use neutral unless the engine is off and I'm rolling the bike around manually or doing service. In other words, I don't use neutral with the engine running as it serves no purpose for me.

If you don't like Honda clutches, by all means buy something else!

Last edited:
I'll guess you don't keep bikes that long for despite the perception of Honda quality you have at present......Honda quality is such that the NC is the last Honda you may ever need to purchase. It will last a very long time with just routine maintenance and with the NC there isn't much of that. I have a Honda motorcycle with nearly 170,000 miles on it, original clutch - clunk, basket rumble and all, and know close friends with that have that many miles and more on their Hondas.

Well , its still working and i hope it will for some time yet. I am however prepared for the failure because the honda mechanics only fitted standard spares and they were only replacements for the broken parts. When / if it breaks i will repair it myself and beef up the 2 parts that failed.....but hopefully i wont have to do that .

In order to reduce wear i always select manual, reducing the amount of gear changes by a lot.

I was talking to the dealer mechanic at the weekend and he was saying the DCT originated from the Quad market and should be pretty bullet proof, as farmers give their equipment quite a bit of stick! my bike has done nearly 12000 miles in less than a year and is still going ok, though now I will be listening carefully to the box!!!

I was talking to the dealer mechanic at the weekend and he was saying the DCT originated from the Quad market and should be pretty bullet proof, as farmers give their equipment quite a bit of stick! my bike has done nearly 12000 miles in less than a year and is still going ok, though now I will be listening carefully to the box!!!

I was aware also that DCT was developed from Quad technology. Its been around some time indeed. It is also very reliable. The OP was unlucky imho. I suppose this is borne out by the almost total lack of any other major issues mentioned on here with DCT. Africa Twin owners are currently thrashing their DCT's on and offroad with little or no issues to speak of, and to date I am not aware of any failures on the various forums that I take part in.

TBH I believe You have little to worry about .

Back