• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 8k Nc750 dct gearbox failure

gasgas249uk

Reaction score
Visit site
would be interested to know your views on whether this is a trust worthy bike for the future.
I have a 2015 nc750 dct with 8000 miles on the clock. It has been fully serviced.

Over the past 100 miles with hind sight I have felt the gearbox getting a little sloppy and not feeling as tight as it has in the past. The going round a roundabout in standard auto mode the gearbox self selected neutral and would no longer select any gears at all. When the left hand paddle shifts were used you could hear the gearbox trying to select but it wasn't able to complete the task. I am very sensitive to engine noises gearbox noises and mechanics . I have not thrashed this motorcycle and have treated it carefully having had it since new.

I took the bike into Honda and they have told me that it is covered by warranty but the parts are not available until mid December which is obviously very disappointing.

My main cause for concern is that such show young bike with low mileage should suffer such a catastrophic failure. apparently the pin inside the gear which establishes which gear the gear boxes is in has broken and this has caused damage to other internal components.
I would imagine that by Christmas the bike will be repaired and I will have it back.
unfortunately I cannot think of one logical reason why the problem will not happen again in another eight Thousand Miles. The Honda dealer have told me that this is a problem they have experienced before on numerous occasions and that the part number now is the same part number that was used when the bike was new. This therefore indicates that the part has not been upgraded or beefed up and that no action had been taken to address this problem.
My gut feeling is to sell the bike now as I am of the belief that this is an unreliable machine. I don't believe that Honda make Friday afternoon bikes which are poorly assembled. I think the problem in this case lies in a poor weak design that was insufficiently tested by Honda prior to production.

What are your thoughts ?.

Wow - I have heard dealers saying 'we've never heard of that problem before sir', but never heard them say the opposite. Especially when it simply cannot be a common problem otherwise both this forum and the english forum (and the VFR1200 forums) would be full of unhappy customers.
6-8 weeks is unacceptable for a repair. I would be contactingHonda USA directly.
Mike

having had it since new.

"unfortunately I cannot think of one logical reason why the problem will not happen again in another eight Thousand Miles."

"My gut feeling is to sell the bike now as I am of the belief that this is an unreliable machine. I think the problem in this case lies in a poor weak design that was insufficiently tested by Honda prior to production."

Firstly I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you. It is always a pain when something like this happens on a new motorcycle.

I have to ask the question, how many other examples of this marque have you heard of this happening to ? Afaik, yours is the first, and definitely the first I have ever heard of, and I have been on this forum for a little over three years. For this reason I believe it is highly unlikely that it will happen to your bike again in another 8 thousand miles.

For a component to be classified as a poor design and insufficiently tested, it has to be failing on an ongoing basis on other machines. This is not happening.

What has happened is that one component (among the hundreds on your motorcycle) has failed. The reason for this is probably microscopic and as yet, highly unusual. Nothing in life is perfect, but I have to say that among modern motorcycles of all makes, the NC700/750 is unique in that the vast majority of them have been ultra reliable from their very first model year. Sadly I cannot say the same for my former KTM's or my current Triumph.

For the reasons outlined I have to totally disagree with your observations quoted above. Again, I am sorry that this has happened to you and I hope it is sorted as soon as possible.

[...I would be contacting Honda USA directly...Mike]

The poster lists "UK" as his location and besides, we don't have the NC750X in the US.

I'm in the uk and this is a nc750dct not an 'x'.
The Honda dealer stated that this exact problem has happened on a few previous occasions . I have stated the fault above. The broken pin caused more damage.

I understand that it's difficult to swallow but this model has a design problem. This is not a one off problem. I do not agree in your conclusion that this was caused by something microscopic and there is no evidence to suggest this at all.

The simple facts are that local dealer in the uk has stated that they have dealt with the problem on a few occasions before.

It's my suspicion that this fault is caused by metal fatigue. I have nearly 40 bikes and a good feel for engines .As I explained above felt it getting sloppy prior to total failure.

I'll keep you updated and let you know the exact parts that have broken with part nos.

This problem relates to dct's only.

ID be interested to know the mileages you have reached on your dct's please.

The Honda dealer stated that this exact problem has happened on a few previous occasions . I have stated the fault above. The broken pin caused more damage.

I understand that it's difficult to swallow but this model has a design problem. This is not a one off problem. I do not agree in your conclusion that this was caused by something microscopic and there is no evidence to suggest this at all.

The simple facts are that local dealer in the uk has stated that they have dealt with the problem on a few occasions before.

It's my suspicion that this fault is caused by metal fatigue. I have nearly 40 bikes and a good feel for engines .As I explained above felt it getting sloppy prior to total failure.

I'll keep you updated and let you know the exact parts that have broken with part nos.

This problem relates to dct's only.

ID be interested to know the mileages you have reached on your dct's please.
40,000 miles on mine with no problem.

My apologies Gasgas - I should have spotted you were in the UK. There is a UK forum too, and I have not seen a single instance of a similar problem being reported either there or on this forum.
My bike is a NC750X DCT - they also make a NC750S Dct and of course the Integra DCT.
Mine is my 3rd NC DCT bike and in total I have done about 45000 fault free miles.
I am not sure who your dealer is, but I will ask mine how long they would expect to have to wait for a DCT box component for a warranty claim.
Mike

These mileages give me hope. I had planned to sell it and a neighbour who knows is being repaired by Honda wants it. Looking around I can see anything that fits the bill so well for me.

I love the auto , false tank storage and light handling.

I'm going to speak with the manager at Honda tomorrow and see if anything can be done to speed things up

These mileages give me hope. I had planned to sell it and a neighbour who knows is being repaired by Honda wants it. Looking around I can see anything that fits the bill so well for me.

I love the auto , false tank storage and light handling.

I'm going to speak with the manager at Honda tomorrow and see if anything can be done to speed things up

Yep - the frunk persuaded me to go for yet another one when I had been considering the Africa Twin DCT in April. ironically the Africa Twin forum HAS had a few reports of DCT problems although not the one you describe. Let me know the exact part they reckon they need to wait 6 weeks for and I will ask the service manager at my dealer. If you can identify the part on Lingshonda website you could attempt to order it from them and see whether they are saying it's in stock or not.
Mike

Last edited:
Yeah, I read about the NC on forums for quite awhile before one came up for sale here, never saw any such reports about DCT failure during that heavy wading into threads and googling.

The Honda dealer stated that this exact problem has happened on a few previous occasions .

I do not agree in your conclusion that this was caused by something microscopic and there is no evidence to suggest this at all.

It's my suspicion that this fault is caused by metal fatigue.

By suggesting "microscopic" I had a metallic failure in mind so I suppose metal fatigue would coincide with that .

I am surprised that the dealer mentioned a "few" previous occasions. Again, as others have suggested, yours is the first instance I have encountered on this forum and I was also a member on the UK forum. I accept that I may have missed it there, but such catastrophic failures do not generally escape mention, so I am surprised.

would be interested to know your views on whether this is a trust worthy bike for the future.
I have a 2015 nc750 dct with 8000 miles on the clock. It has been fully serviced.

Over the past 100 miles with hind sight I have felt the gearbox getting a little sloppy and not feeling as tight as it has in the past. The going round a roundabout in standard auto mode the gearbox self selected neutral and would no longer select any gears at all. When the left hand paddle shifts were used you could hear the gearbox trying to select but it wasn't able to complete the task. I am very sensitive to engine noises gearbox noises and mechanics . I have not thrashed this motorcycle and have treated it carefully having had it since new.

I took the bike into Honda and they have told me that it is covered by warranty but the parts are not available until mid December which is obviously very disappointing.

My main cause for concern is that such show young bike with low mileage should suffer such a catastrophic failure. apparently the pin inside the gear which establishes which gear the gear boxes is in has broken and this has caused damage to other internal components.
I would imagine that by Christmas the bike will be repaired and I will have it back.
unfortunately I cannot think of one logical reason why the problem will not happen again in another eight Thousand Miles. The Honda dealer have told me that this is a problem they have experienced before on numerous occasions and that the part number now is the same part number that was used when the bike was new. This therefore indicates that the part has not been upgraded or beefed up and that no action had been taken to address this problem.
My gut feeling is to sell the bike now as I am of the belief that this is an unreliable machine. I don't believe that Honda make Friday afternoon bikes which are poorly assembled. I think the problem in this case lies in a poor weak design that was insufficiently tested by Honda prior to production.

My thoughts are that I do not place much credibility on 'the sky is falling' threads posted by low post count contributors. Don't take it personal..... it's just social media 101. Adequate posting history creates a forum "persona" that over time gives all of us a chance to sift through contributions and make judgements of credibility.

Your bike may have suffered a serious problem but it's not a problem I've ever heard of and I've been active on NC700 DCT forums about 4 1/2 years. The few reported 700/750 DCT failures discussed in any detail mention on a faulty shaft mainshaft sensor or battery condition. The dealer may have meant well but many of us have stories of dealers that either don't know what they are talking about or get the wrong information from the tech working on the machine and get it all wrong talking to the customer. Then it goes on the internet. Keep us posted on what turns up.

i have DCT with no problem- about 16k miles.

are you making a conclusion that the bike is unreliable based on what the dealer's mechanic told you? he showed you any proof that this "broken" part is being ordered all the time?? are you sure he was not just making small talk with you to make you feel better?

i have yet to hear failure on the DCT. not that is does not fail or that it cannot happen. you might have just have failed unit. there is no 100% success rate.

The simple facts are that local dealer in the uk has stated that they have dealt with the problem on a few occasions before. .

If you don't want to hear the "thoughts" except to disagree with them, why ask?
My DCT is fine but it is low miles so doesn't count.
I want to hear the dealer back up what you said they said.
But I am in the US and certain words and vernacular may mean something different to you than it does to me.

Can we have a more specific description of the broken part? Where exactly is the pin? On the shift drum? Can you provide the part number or the part diagram? So far the failure description seems rather vague. Basically all I have to go on is that something in the transmission broke. By the dealer saying they have seen this before, they may have meant on other models or on manual transmissions. Some of the parts function the same whether it's a manual or DCT.

Its back

Today was a good day . I eventually received my NC back , and it didnt break on the way home :D

I the part numbers the total value was £26 but I had to wait for her a couple of months for the parts to arrive I spoke to wear a mechanic that who is a friend of mine and someone I've known for 30 odd years he told me that they had a number of these in for repair and that the reason why the part is in short supply is because its in high demand. I do have the part numbers as I say . they sit under the clutch cover and consist of a plate and a pin. I have ridden the bike now a few times and can feel a notcy feeling when it changes Gear at low speed. I am convinced that this is the stress that is causing the breakage and I'm wondering if there are any other users out there that have a notchy feeling when the bike changes down from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st Gear. it is not Something That Shakes the bike but it certainly wouldn't be around on a manual bike I'm certain of that so has anyone else experienced this

Back