• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013 NC700X 5xxx miles. Would not shift to first from neutral

RubyRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding to work, i was in neutral going about 30, and I was trying shift to first. The clutch was engaged. It would not shift. Every time I tried, the gears would grind. I didn't want to push. It fixed itself but it kind of scared me.

It's worth noting that I do have replacement levers, however I have been riding for the past 3 days with zero issues.

A fluke? Or something to keep an eye on.

You cant shift to 1st gear doing 30mph. My other 2 motorcycles (a suzuki and a kawasaki) cant do it either. My suzuki wont shift to first unless under 20mph and same for my kawa...
Even with the clutch engaged? I was coming to a light that turned green as I was braking. Not the best technique, I know. Still learning proper downshifting and rev matching.

YOu only need to drop into first gear as You are rolling to a halt.

Think about how high the RPM would be at 30 mph in first gear. If you want the transmission dogs to lock in, the rotational speeds of the gears have to match up fairly close. There are no syncronizers in the NC transmission. So to get the transmission to downshift to first at 30 mph, you are going to need to rev match with a pretty high RPM throttle blip.

But, there is no point in downshifting to first at 30 mph, so why do it? Wait until your speed drops lower, then the rev match is much easier. Unless you need extreme engine braking, wait to shift down to first just before you come to a stop.

Last edited:
I was riding to work, i was in neutral going about 30, and I was trying shift to first. The clutch was engaged. It would not shift. Every time I tried, the gears would grind. I didn't want to push. It fixed itself but it kind of scared me.
I think you have the terminology backwards. The clutch is "engaged" when the clutch lever is released. Engaging the clutch means allowing the clutch springs to press the plates together, connecting the engine power to the transmission. The clutch is disengaged when you pull in the clutch lever.

Last edited:
I think you have the terminology backwards. The clutch is "engaged" when the clutch lever is released. Engaging the clutch means allowing the clutch springs to press the plates together, connecting the engine power to the transmission. The clutch is disengaged when you pull in the clutch lever.
Yeah you are right, ill try to remember that.

Think about how high the RPM would be at 30 mph in first gear. If you want the transmission dogs to lock in, the rotational speeds of the gears have to match up fairly close. There are no syncronizers in the NC transmission. So to get the transmission to downshift to first at 30 mph, you are going to need to rev match with a pretty high RPM throttle blip.

But, there is no point in downshifting to first at 30 mph, so why do it? Wait until your speed drops lower, then the rev match is much easier. Unless you need extreme engine braking, wait to shift down to first just before you come to a stop.
Yeah, I'm not really sure why I wanted to be in first gear, but I will try to remember rev matching

Your good Ruby in another month or so of riding these things will be second nature and will not require you to think about it, right now you are over thinking everything as this is a new ( to you) bike. Just relax and enjoy riding just pay alot of attention to the cage drivers you never know what they are going to do!

The electrics/electronics in everything are quite complex to troubleshoot.
A SCS Service connector 070PZ-ZY30100 may be of some help. I have one but so far not gone down that road.
Good luck. Will follow/chine in if/when a remediable thought appears.
I appreciate that, however it was operator error!

The electrics/electronics in everything are quite complex to troubleshoot.
A SCS Service connector 070PZ-ZY30100 may be of some help. I have one but so far not gone down that road.
Good luck. Will follow/chine in if/when a remediable thought appears.
ST, I’m not sure how the service connector enters the picture here. The OP is a new rider getting accustomed to shifting his manual transmission. No faults or electronics issues were reported. Maybe you are thinking this is a DCT problem, but the bike is not a DCT.

That was fast. I was deleting my post after realizing you have the X.
That connector I mentioned is nothing but a jumper wire one does not need to buy.

Back