• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2012 Honda [NC 700 S & NC 700 X] technical explanation video

I'm still freaked out by that mile-long looking camchain, lol...:eek:

We don't like long cam chains we don't, no

*golum* *golum*

As long as they are all in one peace, they work fine, easier to set cam timing, and not much noise. dale
e

lol! That's the key phrase, hee hee! "As long as they are all in one piece"

I do not like chains in my engines. Give me gears any day of the week, and I *love* gear whine, personally. Cam geartrain VFR/RC sounds make me weak in the kness, lust lust. I hate chain thrashing noise. My (brand new) F800ST camchain sounded like two old dying KLR650's, with a dash of ball bearings thrown in a blender.

The very first pure street bike I owned (CB400T Hawk) had it's camchain snap and grenade the engine, all was repaired under warranty thank heavens, but it made me predjudicial against chains right from the start, for better or worse.

the CBR is notorious for the automatic cam chain tensioner going bad. Simple fix was to replace it with a manually adjustable one. I'm ok with the chain, gears would be ok too but even then they can break. My Magna had gears and one of the sleeves that held a pin that held a gear in place broke, since the sleeve was part of the case and the case mas magnesium the case became useless. I more or less had to get a new engine because of it.

the CBR is notorious for the automatic cam chain tensioner going bad. Simple fix was to replace it with a manually adjustable one. I'm ok with the chain, gears would be ok too but even then they can break. My Magna had gears and one of the sleeves that held a pin that held a gear in place broke, since the sleeve was part of the case and the case mas magnesium the case became useless. I more or less had to get a new engine because of it.

A Magna with gear driven cams? What year was that? I only know of the VFR750, RC30/45/51/VTR1000's etc., that had cam geartrains. Never heard of any Magnas with them, interesting!

2012 Honda [NC 700 S & NC 700 X] technical explanation video

lol! That's the key phrase, hee hee! "As long as they are all in one piece"

I do not like chains in my engines. Give me gears any day of the week, and I *love* gear whine, personally. Cam geartrain VFR/RC sounds make me weak in the kness, lust lust. I hate chain thrashing noise. My (brand new) F800ST camchain sounded like two old dying KLR650's, with a dash of ball bearings thrown in a blender.

The very first pure street bike I owned (CB400T Hawk) had it's camchain snap and grenade the engine, all was repaired under warranty thank heavens, but it made me predjudicial against chains right from the start, for better or worse.

Well then in my opinion, anything that can go wrong with chains can go wrong with gears as well?

Well then in my opinion, anything that can go wrong with chains can go wrong with gears as well?

*Shrug*

Of course something can go wrong with anything. But having had a camchain nuke an engine on me, and having owned other bikes that sounded like they were on death's door due to cam chain slap, worry about their well being, having to fiddle with adjustments, replace faulty tensioners and worn out guides, I just have never cared for them.

I like gears, I don't like chains.

The CB1's (NC27), had gear-driven cams too. An inline-four with gear-cams is a beautiful sound!

Quite so! I had a 1989 CB-1 and it was a magical sounding little beast. Compared to the 600 Hurricane it got lost in translation in the sales and popularity wars over here unfortunately, (not that I didn't like the Hurricane either, it was brilliant) but I liked the little 400 better, myself. I was trying to focus on the V configured Hondas, in regards to the Magna in question. :D

Back