• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How To 2012-2015 Negative Display Mod

SoTexNC

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I completed a negative display mod for my 2014 NC700X. It's not a terribly hard project to do so I've made a DIY. Total time will take your roughly 2 hours and cost is small depending where you get your polarizing film. I bought adhesive backed, high-contrast film that also has a protective top clear film that peels off so you can mark on it with a permanent marker for the project below. This is the link where I got mine: Polarizer Film

I got the 10in x 6in piece WITH adhesive. When you receive it, make sure you identify which side has the adhesive and which side is just the protective film before starting. You will need to orient it with the adhesive side down... obviously.

So let's get started!

First you need to remove the display from the bike. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the windshield in place, then remove the 3 screws holding the display onto the bike. Lift up the display and unplug the harness. On the back of the display remove the 7 screws and separate the housing halves.
PXL_20210305_161826524.jpg

Next, removed the 5 screws holding the LCD housing onto the control board and simply pull the LCD housing off. There is a grey rubber pad that send the electrical signals to the LCD, that may or may not come out when you do this. It's no big deal, it just sits there.
PXL_20210305_162217037.jpg

After that, remove the 4 tiny screws holding the LCD in place and remove the display. The grey rubber piece should definitely come out now. You can simply pull it off and set it aside.
PXL_20210305_162356583.jpg

I know I still have the rubber piece attached in this picture. I didn't figure out it just pulls right off until later haha. Anyway, this is what you're left with.
PXL_20210305_162615665.jpg

Next, heat up the display with a heat gun to where you can tolerably handle it with your hands. Using a sharp razor, start at a corner and peel off the old polarizing film.
PXL_20210305_162930390.jpg

Once you get the film off, this part takes the longest. You will need to remove all of the old adhesive. You may use acetone, goo-gone, or whatever you thing would work best. It's glass, you will not hurt it. You may use the razor to assist getting the gunk off, but CAREFULLY. Don't scrape so hard you scratch the glass. The display needs to be completely clean and clear.
PXL_20210305_163655439.jpg

Once clean, partially reassemble your display and bring it along with your polarizing film and a marker to your bike. Plug in the display and turn on the bike. You'll notice the display is blank. Place the film over the display and rotate until you acquire your desired contrast. Then mark a rough area on the film about the size of your display. The video link below will demonstrate the effect of the polarizing film. Note: I had removed the gauge face in the video, but that is not necessary for this project.

NC700X Polarizing Film on Display

PXL_20210305_170826590.jpg

Disassemble the display again and lay the LCD in the rough area you drew. Trace the display and cut out the film.
PXL_20210305_170855044.jpg

Peel off the adhesive backing and gently set the film on the LCD. Work out any bubbles before removing the protecting clear film on top. Reassemble your display and reinstall in the bike. You're good to go! Enjoy your cool new display mod!
PXL_20210305_213440186.jpg

Would you get a similar result with a regular polarizing film (non high-contrast)?

Shipping is very expensive to Europe, but the regular polarizing film can be had on AliExpress and the like for a lot cheaper.

Would you get a similar result with a regular polarizing film (non high-contrast)?

Shipping is very expensive to Europe, but the regular polarizing film can be had on AliExpress and the like for a lot cheaper.
Yes, it will net very similar results with regular polarizer film.

This is an awesome way to personalize your bike, nice job
Outside of looking cool, and I do think it looks very cool, are there any advantages as far as visibility goes? Is it different depending on Day vs night, or is it any easier to.read wit the sun providing glare? Also, thanks for taking the time to write this up, good stuff!

This is an awesome way to personalize your bike, nice job
Outside of looking cool, and I do think it looks very cool, are there any advantages as far as visibility goes? Is it different depending on Day vs night, or is it any easier to.read wit the sun providing glare? Also, thanks for taking the time to write this up, good stuff!
I'm still testing that out. Night time it's much easier on the eyes. Day time there's no real difference I think. The old style was maybe slightly easier to read during the day time?

Went ahead with this mod over the weekend with AliExpress polarizing film and the results are basically the same.

Some advice and notes to add though: Try to be outside when you determine the film orientation that gives you your ideal contrast. I did mine indoors and went a couple of degrees past where the blue was the brightest because it didn't look as good indoors. Consequently the display is slightly on the dimmer side of what I wished for when outside. Going to have to redo it some other weekend.

Also when I first put it back together some segments on the numbers were very faint and didn't display properly. I thought I had messed up the display. Looked perfectly fine the day after.

I suspect the glass and gray rubber might not have been 100% dry from all the Goo Gone and that's what messed it up for a day until it dried out.

Anyway. Fairly easy mod to do and a great guide! Took me about 2 hours out which at least half is removing the original adhesive off of the glass.

Went ahead with this mod over the weekend with AliExpress polarizing film and the results are basically the same.

Some advice and notes to add though: Try to be outside when you determine the film orientation that gives you your ideal contrast. I did mine indoors and went a couple of degrees past where the blue was the brightest because it didn't look as good indoors. Consequently the display is slightly on the dimmer side of what I wished for when outside. Going to have to redo it some other weekend.

Also when I first put it back together some segments on the numbers were very faint and didn't display properly. I thought I had messed up the display. Looked perfectly fine the day after.

I suspect the glass and gray rubber might not have been 100% dry from all the Goo Gone and that's what messed it up for a day until it dried out.

Anyway. Fairly easy mod to do and a great guide! Took me about 2 hours out which at least half is removing the original adhesive off of the glass.
Awesome. I'm glad it mostly worked out for you!

Back