• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

1STORM helmet

JimbosToys

Reaction score
Visit site
I have probably 8 helmets of various age/condition/utility. I currently use a kbc 201s which is a snell approved full face with a scratched visor. I also have a snug modular Fullmer that I kinda like but my gf likes to use it. Considering a value-priced 1STORM for its flipup design, dual (new) visors, etc. It's only DOT approved plastic, but I can (hopefully) live with that.
Anybody have experience with this helmet? Comfort/weight/durability/noise/etc? My head is 23" and a large should fit but I cannot stand being squeezed.
Here's a link:
NEW 1Storm DOT Motorcycle Bike Modular Flip up Full Face Helmet Sun Visor White | eBay
Thanks in advance. Jim

No weight mentioned. I bet that thing is a brick.

And not to be rude... but you get one head and skull. I skimp and save on a lot of things, my helmet is not one of them.

Cheap helmets seem like a decent buy, but there is more to a helmet than a snell/DOT rating. The fit to your head and how it moves around on your head during an "off" can make all the difference. In my experience, cheaper helmets use materials that "break in" quite a bit and over time the helmet is not fitting as well as it can, and that can cause a lot of issues. As well as cheap helmets weighing as much as 2lbs more than a decent helmet.

No experience with that particular helmet, but if you do get it I believe you'll also have to buy the rest of the storm-trooper outfit and paint your NC white with black trim. You will look totally awesome. Then you can also find a small plush Ewok to put on the back too!! ;) Hey maybe even get a custom horn that can play The Imperial March!

On a personal note, no I wouldn't do it. I want to have confidence that if it comes down to it that the helmet is going to save my noggin (and the rest of its contents!). A few different review sites question the durability of it due to the materials used. Amazon has quite a lot of positive reviews, but also quite a a lot of negatives. To me this is indicative of a lower quality control process. The one you get may fit you well and be reasonably quiet, but it also may just as easily be a poor fit, leak air per some of the reviews, and offer poor protection when you need it most.

When it comes to gear that has the potential to save your life, do you really want to go with the cheapest option? I wouldn't want a helmet that just scraped by the DOT approval process, but one from a company that has a proven track record of producing quality units that have even had the unfortunate experience to protect riders in real world crashes. Because the DOT approval is a pass/fail we can't say whether any particular brand 'just' met the requirements or went way beyond the criteria, but I think we can draw somewhat of a generalized parallel that you get what you pay for. (generalized being the key word) Sure some of the better quality gear has marketing dollars built in which has absolutely nothing to do with R&D or anything else that could contribute to a quality helmet, but for me & my money I'd rather err on the side of caution if my life might actually depend on it. It isn't a guarantee of course that a more expensive helmet will fair better in a crash, but you have to look at it from the point of view that crash worthiness is the most important aspect. Yes you want a good fit, a quiet ride, comfort, ease of use etc. But ultimately what you need is a helmet that will do its job when the unfortunate happens. You alone have to make that judgement call on whether a particular helmet will meet your criteria and give you confidence that you're protected when the shiny side is down and the rubber side is up.

I use this logic, MotoGP riders regularly go down. They actually wear helmets you can buy. Are they cheap no. But that same company makes slightly more affordable models using the info they get from the racers. Arai, Shoie, Shark, Suomy, Bell, Nolan, AGV and even HJC. These are brands that are proven.
Also Schuberth,Touratech, fox... just to name a few more. These are all trusted brands... just an FYI.

Fair comments, fellow riders!
Fyi, weight is 1.8 kg (4#). So not too heavy IMO.
Yes, fit is very important. Hard to determine with an online purchase.
I do not want to undermine my safety, but I also admit to being a 'value' guy and not entirely sure a $500 helmet gives you more than a smug sense of safety with only marginal improvement. And we already, just by riding a bike vs a cage, take on more risk than a 'normal' person.
I wonder if there is an NTSB or equivalent source for definitive assessment of helmet performance/protection in actual crashes? I briefly looked but no joy.
BTW - it will be black or silver to match the bike - that's as far as I go style-wise.
Still hope someone from our trusted group that actually has one of these will weigh in; I don't entirely trust Amazon or other reviews that may be laced with self-serving commercial influence.
Thanks again for your thoughtful replies - always appreciated. Jim

I just found an article on testing of motorcycle helmets. Though the article doesn't mention manufacturers of helmets, the article focuses on the materials used in the helmets.
https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/imsc2006/Thom-Comparison_Tests_of_Motorcycle_Helmets-Paper.pdf

One interesting part of their laboratory testing:
"helmets qualified to DOT and DOT+ECE provide better protection as measured in these laboratory tests than helmets qualified to BSI and Snell."

The testing of the helmets was commissioned by 'Motorcyclist Magazine' and the helmets were donated by multiple helmet manufacturers.
The testing supposedly looked at reduced acceleration of the head instead of how much impact a helmet can absort:
"Since the function of a motorcycle helmet is to reduce impact-caused acceleration of the head, it stands to reason that one should choose a helmet that minimizes peak acceleration"

Thanks davidc83! I glossed over and will read once I get some quiet time. There is no question that pricing is affected by ventilation, graphics, soundproofing, anti-fog treatment, buckle complexity, brand premium, weight, etc - but if one is truly concerned about safety that is hard to define. Once you assert a legitimate full-face helmet that fits, you're likely 90% of where you're ever gonna get.
Will continue to weigh my decision. Will also look for more non-biased info and will so report. Jim

I don’t see a Sharp (British) rating for it.

Also DOT does not approve helmets. The manufacturer certifies that it meets the standard.

Last edited:
Ok, insomnia this am.
I read the entire article multiple times. Very helpful to me. I thought this statement was revealing: "Actual field research has never shown helmets qualified to one standard to be significantly better or worse in actual crash protection."
Seems to me that once you wear a real, certified helmet you are >90% there FROM A SAFETY VIEWPOINT. After that, it's all about the other factors I mentioned.
Would be instructive to have a discussion with a real helmet designer that has real world experience and knowledge of the regs. I do not know any.

Hank - you are right - the DOT testing is done by the manufacturer. I have inquired about the FMVSS 218 standard, as well as the Sharp and ECE ratings.

Stay tuned. Jim

Last edited:
Update - helmet certified to FMVSS 218. No mention of ECE, so assume not.
Bought one. Modular design works well, durability tbd.
Internal sun visor not optically perfect, but would only be used in direct sun-in-face situations as I wear prescription sunglasses. Outer clear screen fine.
Bought one size larger (XL), which was prudent. Fits reasonably well, but snug in jaw and hard to pull over ears.
My prominent forehead is pressed a bit, but this is true of all helmets I have tried on that were not too loose to be effective.
Will NOT come off my head with strap on. Helmets coming off in an accident is reportedly a common failure.
Weighs less than my older Snell 2000 kbc ff helmet.
It's cooler here now so cannot comment on ventilation, but it looks like it will be much better.
Wind noise about the same, not great but ok. I think the face shield needs better sealing. Also, will add foam to ear cavities like I did on the my prior helmet with good success.
So far I do not have buyers remorse. Will update after some more miles.
Jim

Last edited:
Curious, how did you add foam?. May sound like a peculiar question, but, amount used.....adhesive etc. Not looking for a multiple page report ; sounds like you have skills.

And let's hope you never need to crash test it for safety. Ride safe.
Agreed.

I was going to make a long rant about my distrust for DOT standards, blah blah blah. Lack of ECE or Snell certifications, etc etc. Honestly not needing a helmet is better than actually crashing and testing one.

I tell my fencing students the best defense against your opponents attack is to make them miss you than to have to defend yourself with your weapon. Same applies here.

Back