• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

1st world problem

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need some feedback from you's guys and girls. I'm already thinking of the cold weather riding (because I LOVE it!) and I am going to get a heated vest this year. The problem is I have heated Gerbing gloves which I really like and I also have heated grips (this is on my new bike).

If you had to make a choice, would you keep the gloves or the grips?

The wiring is not an issue because I'll have to wire the vest anyway.

Told you, 1st world problem. I pray the rest of world would have only these things to worry about.

My first suggestion would be to get a jacket not a vest. With a vest, you still need some insulation bulk to keep your arms warm - not necessary with a jacket. Also, the jackets normally have handy pre-wiring for the gloves. As far as gloves vs. grips, I think they are for different things and you need both. Heated grips are great on those early or late rides when it is a little chillier than you expected. Or in a cold rain. Or when your arthritis is flaring up. But, for the dead dog cold of winter, nothing beats the warmth of full heated gloves.

Last edited:
Too late on the jacket, Beemer. I just bought a Goretex jacket for the rains sure to come with fall. I like layering up anyway. I camp a lot and use the layers as the night wears on. You are right on about the cold rain. BTW- this is for my Super Tenere. I ran up to N. Ark and got some panniers from Bug Dr. and he mentioned something about the rains/grips/cold. On the way back, it was just like he said. I didn't have my waterproof gloves with me but it was like a sauna in the wet gloves!
I'll keep both. I'm pretty good at wiring so I think wiring the gloves and the vest to a dual controller should be easy enough even though all three are from different manufacturers.
It's going to be a good winter!

FWIW- I'll be 60 in Dec but don't have arthritis anywhere!

Last edited:
I need some feedback from you's guys and girls. I'm already thinking of the cold weather riding (because I LOVE it!) and I am going to get a heated vest this year. The problem is I have heated Gerbing gloves which I really like and I also have heated grips (this is on my new bike).

If you had to make a choice, would you keep the gloves or the grips?

The wiring is not an issue because I'll have to wire the vest anyway.

Told you, 1st world problem. I pray the rest of world would have only these things to worry about.

Why gloves *and* grips, of course! :D

Just because you have both doesn't mean have to use both, but if you want to, it's awesome to have the choice. Plus it's good to have a backup alternative in case something goes wonky when you are far from home.

My arms never really get cold, but I ended up getting a Powerlet FIR jacket that has a choice between 60w and 105w for power consumption, and is prewired for use with heated gloves if so desired. :)

Grips vs gloves. Gloves all the way with 0 degree temps. Although I very much dislike the new Gerbing. My old T5 gloves are hands down better than Warm and Safes warmest glove. The lowest temperature that I have been riding in was 2 degrees F. Top that off with 80 mph. You want the best you can get. Grips don't keep the top of your fingers warm, but the gloves will a lot better.
Like Lee, the jacket will be better than the vest. I hate shivering so I have the jacket.
Ride safe!

Welcome. Where in the States are you located?

Call me confused by your comment......You said "welcome" like someone was new on here and the OP has over 2000 posts and the least before I just posted this was 44......am I missing something or is someone blocked from my view? As for the OP his location is listed as shreveport LA. As for heated grips vs. gloves that all depends on your riding temps and level of cold you can take. It is really a relative question since I know people who can be out in 20 degree weather with no gloves on and some that wear gloves when it is 50 degrees out. (This is not riding a motorcycle either) If you can do both I would say keep both!

Here in Scotland in winter its handguards ,heated grips AND heated gloves and jackets ,over the hills in can get so cold the tyres loose a bit of grip . That combo will keep you warm down to -10 deg c ,any colder your feet will fall off.

It is really a relative question since I know people who can be out in 20 degree weather with no gloves on and some that wear gloves when it is 50 degrees out.

I would be that cold sissy. All of my bikes have heated seats and grips. When it gets REALLY REALLY cold you will find my NC with Hippo Hands over heated grips, a heated jacket and socks, and a European style lap blanket. Not necessary for a quick commute, but downright luxurious on a long ride in 20F weather. There is not the danger of getting tangled up in it that everyone seems to assume. I only use the lap blanket on long trips in dead winter, but the Hippos stay on for most of the winter season and I ride one of the BMW's on milder days...

laprobe1-M.jpg

laprobe3-M.jpg

Last edited:
well I think you would get frostbite pretty quick with no gloves below freezing after a wee while ...its so painful when I tried it I cried and I'm a toughy . Actually wet frozen is the worst, Heated stuff is a fantastic boon for winter riding ,the infra red seeping in actually feels good on my old joints.

...the infra red seeping in actually feels good on my old joints.

Barring an unexpected illness or left-turning Buick, arthritis is what will most likely end my riding career. I use heated grips sometimes even when it isn't cold to help with pain in my hands.

Last edited:
My vote ........heated grips.

When Beemer said jacket .........I was thinking he meant a "vest with sleeves" as the base layer ???? Of course the outer jacket is also a critical part of a complete all weather riding system.

If that is what was meant ......I agree heated base needs sleeves ( jacket style) ...vote no vest style.

Example

Kanetsu Electrics - Heated Gear - Clothing :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

You are right showkey. I was thinking Beemer meant an overjacket. I will get a sleeved electric jacket that does under my other layers.

Sorry to hear about your arthritis. I said I don't have any arthritis, but I have some trauma-induced in my neck. None in the hands, though.

My main goal is to be able to gear up and go all day when temps keep most off the road.

You are right showkey. I was thinking Beemer meant an overjacket.

Nope, Beemer meant an electric jacket liner vs. an electric vest. I have a lightweight uninsulated electric jacket (liner) that I use with insulated outer layers. I also have an insulated electric jacket liner that I used with uninsulated outer layers. Both are undergarments replacing a mid-layer in the normal layering scheme.

I'm in the arthritis cross hairs as well. I electric use glove liners that warm the backs of my hands under my elk skin gloves. The gloves plug into the ends of my Gerbing jacket liner sleeves. I put a pair of the Moose Racing hand guard covers on last fall which seem to work OK although I would really like to find a good alternative to the Hippo Hands as HH has gone out of business.

Last edited:
I have a couple questions about heated jackets. Do they come wired up for gloves? If not, do they have loops or tabs to put the wires through so they dont come out when you take off the jacket?

I got tired of having to wrestle with the wires last year. In the end, it's always worth the hassle to have warm hands, but it is a hassle.

Contrarian here. I got a used Widder vest with zip-off sleeves off ebay for $50.
I wear it vest style more often than jacket style. In Texas it is common for a bit of core heat to be all that's necessary.

Back