Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lane scare from passing car

Bike: NC750S DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    California being the only state that allows "lane splitting" or what ever you want to call it. My only concern is them making lane splitting illegal.
    Bay area traffic sucks and a split lanes almost every time I ride. On the newer vehicles I see their side mirrors light up with a warning when I'm a vehicle length or two away, if the self driving cars are as sensitive as some by the book drivers or worse and they veer away or slam on their brakes it won't be long before the cries go out to ban lane splitting, or so is my concern.
    So my only concern is legislative, I don't understand how lane splitting hasn't become legal across the country, lots of states looked like they were just about to make it ok but it's looked that way for years now. Making self driving vehicles mandatory or even standard I worry it will swing the opposite direction and they'll make laws more restrictive for motorcycles.
    Seeing almost everyone in a cage playing with a cellphone not to mention those doped up on prescription meds, drunk, high or just inept it's hard to imagine self driving cars not doing a better job on average within the next few years. America's car culture is not what it used to be I'm just hoping motorcycle riders aren't next on the chopping block.
    Here in the UK, lane splitting has been "legal" for some years - nationwide. I got the chance to discuss it with a Police Motorcyclist one day. We agreed that it's a manoeuver that should only be carried out on stationary or "slow moving" traffic. I asked him to define "slow moving. He took a moment and replied " If you're looking to drop your visor, it's too fast"

Personally, my rules are that if there's a space in another lane, then someone's going to make a dive for it. I sort of realise they're going to do it before they do.

Senior Member Lane scare from passing car
    Lane scare from passing car
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    Here in the UK, lane splitting has been "legal" for some years - nationwide. I got the chance to discuss it with a Police Motorcyclist one day. We agreed that it's a manoeuver that should only be carried out on stationary or "slow moving" traffic. I asked him to define "slow moving. He took a moment and replied " If you're looking to drop your visor, it's too fast"

Personally, my rules are that if there's a space in another lane, then someone's going to make a dive for it. I sort of realise they're going to do it before they do.
    That last part is what keeps ya from becoming a statistic

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    “Please let me drive! I know I can drive better than half of these yahoos.”
    Lane scare from passing car-d7e59083-07c4-42a7-8d8c-e95c9daca56f-jpg
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Member Lane scare from passing car New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    “Please let me drive! I know I can drive better than half of these yahoos.”
    Lane scare from passing car-d7e59083-07c4-42a7-8d8c-e95c9daca56f-jpg
    It's funny how dogs are. In the truck stops you often see dogs sitting in the driver's seat when the driver is away. The dog thinks that it's the position of power and they have to fill it when the alpha dog is gone.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website