Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Bike: NC700X

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Motorcycle Safety Foundation training location finder by state:

I teach at Gulf Coast Motorcycle Safety in Mobile, Al. Both The BRC & ERC.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Just gonna put this out there. You NEED to take a motorcycle safety course before really riding. As they all say, "it's not a matter of if, but when you will go down on a motorcycle". I had to take a class because i was 17 when I first got my motorcycle license.
    Last edited by mburgess; 1st March 2016 at 19:06.

Senior Member Motorcycle Safety Foundation
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    [All those in Europe countries may have stricter laws on motorcycle displacement size and ridiculous insurance rates.]

I don't get what you're trying to say here? Generally speaking, the tiered licensing in other countries is a good idea.

Here someone can go out and buy a Hayabusa or H-D Road King for their first motorcycle with predictable results. And in many states there is really no real penalty for riding a motorcycle without the proper endorsement.

There are now several states that offer motorcycle safety training that is non-MSF and they're doing a good job with a program that fits the needs of new riders, such as in CA. I was an MSF instructor/rider coach for 16 years, retired in 2006.
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 22nd August 2015 at 02:06.

Senior Member Motorcycle Safety Foundation Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    Quote Originally Posted by mburgess View Post
    Just gonna put this out there. You NEED to take a motorcycle safety course before really riding. As they all say, "it's not a matter of if, but when you will go down on a motorcycle". I had to take a class because i was 17 when I first got my motorcycle license. All those in Europe countries may have stricter laws on motorcycle displacement size and ridiculous insurance rates.
    I took the class near a military base. I was new, but half the class were experienced riders who were all mad the Military made them take the class to be able to ride on base. By the end of the class they ALL stated they were glad they took it for the things they learned to eliminate bad habits and make them better riders.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Senior Member Motorcycle Safety Foundation itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    I have yet to take it even with a good offer from Ed Up.
    Gotta make the time!

Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KDX200
    I have a full class this weekend. My course is taught on Ft Chaffee in Fort Smith, AR. This weekend is about half military. 10-12 years ago we had lots of trouble with our military folks, as they were being forced to be there. The word is now out that it's a lots of fun and you will learn something, even if you have lots of experience. We now have military folks from all over coming to our course. We are not a really large business, but do train about 400 per year. I have lots of fun with it, but it sure cuts into my riding time.

Senior Member Motorcycle Safety Foundation itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Up View Post
    I have a full class this weekend. My course is taught on Ft Chaffee in Fort Smith, AR. This weekend is about half military. 10-12 years ago we had lots of trouble with our military folks, as they were being forced to be there. The word is now out that it's a lots of fun and you will learn something, even if you have lots of experience. We now have military folks from all over coming to our course. We are not a really large business, but do train about 400 per year. I have lots of fun with it, but it sure cuts into my riding time.
    Ed,Ed,Ed....it's called delegating. Train someone so you can meet up with us at the Hillbilly Hangout next year.

Senior Member Motorcycle Safety Foundation robnpat's Avatar
    Before I bought my NC in 2012, I took the MSF course, mainly for 3 things: 1. I wanted to actually SEE if I would like to ride a bike before plunking down $$ on something that I probably wouldn't like 2. I've never ridden a bike before (I've always had Honda ATVs since 1986). 3. Make my wife happy that I was thinking about safety first. I am SO glad I did. I didn't think riding was all that involved but it was more than I ever thought. I was so impressed that I took the BRC2 course in Spring 2013, and I think I will take it again next Spring just to brush up on some techniques that I know I am having some issues with.

Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KDX200
    Quote Originally Posted by itlives View Post
    Ed,Ed,Ed....it's called delegating. Train someone so you can meet up with us at the Hillbilly Hangout next year.
    I do have two that I can depend on. They are great, but I still feel the need to be there. The last 2 years I was waiting for the Hillbilly Hangout date. The date was posted after my yearly schedule got posted and I couldn't come due to class. Spring is when we are really hooked up. If dates come out early enough and I can manipulate my schedule, I will be there. I think it would be great.