Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kickstand Ten, In the Land of the Dragon, NC Meet Up Event

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350

Kickstand Ten, In the Land of the Dragon, NC Meet Up Event

I'm still lazy, so most of this is from last year....and the year before...

KSL 10 will occur the weekend before the Memorial weekend, May 17-19. On those dates, motorcycle riders will gather at the Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for a weekend of fun and frolic. This is an unofficial rally, no fees, no trophys, no embarrasing games, just great riding and camaraderie. Feel free to arrive earlier in the week or stay later...this is your trip.

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding.

Basics...

We stay at the Kickstand Lodge Motorcycle Campground on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Its a simple place, she (Mo) has a handful of cabins and tent sites for rent. They are basic affairs. Call early to reserve. The cabins have linens, but are basic affairs, no electricity, plumbing.
    Bring your own tent.
    She supplies towels for the bathhouse and there is a washer and dryer available in case you dirty your undies on a screaming curve.
    Dinner is cooked and served for a small donation ($10) Cold beverages are also available for rental ($2). Breakfast is also served for a small donation ($5) if one of us gets up and cooks it. Usually someone does. Don't cheat the house. Everything is on the honor system. Bring cash...I don't think they take cards.
    Small groups usually form and set out on their own rides. Four is a nice size for a group. Lunch is found somewhere on the road.
    The obligatory rides are of course, The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Parkway. This makes a nice loop. Get your Dragon sticker at the beginning. Hwy. 28 over through Fontana to the beginning of the Dragon is really fun. If you want to ride the Dragon, I suggest arriving early and doing it Thursday or Friday morning before it fills up with squids and other fools. Tennessee LEOs patrol the road.
    28 (hellbender) down to Highlands is nice. Stop at all of the waterfalls. There are also great loops off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    The fried pie run down to Blue Ridge, Georgia is also popular.
    There are a lot of good roads down in North Georgia.
    There is more riding than you can do in a weekend.
    Other roads, Joe Brown Highway, 68, Tilley road, Warwoman, 107, Wayah Road, Cullowhee Mountain Road, 197, 215, 281, 276.

AmericaRidesMaps.com make great maps that cover the area. I just learned from an inmate that they also have the dirt road maps too. I just ordered mine.

The best deal is to come in on Thursday...run the dragon Friday morning before it fills up with the fools, get your picture, sticker and check that one off the list. Leave Sunday or Monday. Expect to get wet. It always rains some...

We generally sit around in the evening with beverages, a fire, and tell lies etc. Don't forget to donate to the beverage fund.

Usually someone crashes and usually it is a rookie. My first year...it was me.

Some guys trailer their bikes, some ride in. Trailers are nice to go get the crashed guy's bike.

I hope some of you join us. I'll post more information later. Feel free to ask any question.

I'll eventually get around to a sign up page so I can let Mo know how many we've got coming.

By the way...getting to know Mo is worth the trip. She will never forget your name. I am always amazed.

Kickstand Lodge Motorcycle Campground
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
    I'm still lazy, so most of this is from last year....and the year before...

KSL 10 will occur the weekend before the Memorial weekend, May 17-19. On those dates, motorcycle riders will gather at the Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for a weekend of fun and frolic. This is an unofficial rally, no fees, no trophys, no embarrasing games, just great riding and camaraderie. Feel free to arrive earlier in the week or stay later...this is your trip.

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding.

Basics...

We stay at the Kickstand Lodge Motorcycle Campground on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Its a simple place, she (Mo) has a handful of cabins and tent sites for rent. They are basic affairs. Call early to reserve. The cabins have linens, but are basic affairs, no electricity, plumbing.
    Bring your own tent.
    She supplies towels for the bathhouse and there is a washer and dryer available in case you dirty your undies on a screaming curve.
    Dinner is cooked and served for a small donation ($10) Cold beverages are also available for rental ($2). Breakfast is also served for a small donation ($5) if one of us gets up and cooks it. Usually someone does. Don't cheat the house. Everything is on the honor system. Bring cash...I don't think they take cards.
    Small groups usually form and set out on their own rides. Four is a nice size for a group. Lunch is found somewhere on the road.
    The obligatory rides are of course, The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Parkway. This makes a nice loop. Get your Dragon sticker at the beginning. Hwy. 28 over through Fontana to the beginning of the Dragon is really fun. If you want to ride the Dragon, I suggest arriving early and doing it Thursday or Friday morning before it fills up with squids and other fools. Tennessee LEOs patrol the road.
    28 (hellbender) down to Highlands is nice. Stop at all of the waterfalls. There are also great loops off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    The fried pie run down to Blue Ridge, Georgia is also popular.
    There are a lot of good roads down in North Georgia.
    There is more riding than you can do in a weekend.
    Other roads, Joe Brown Highway, 68, Tilley road, Warwoman, 107, Wayah Road, Cullowhee Mountain Road, 197, 215, 281, 276.

AmericaRidesMaps.com make great maps that cover the area. I just learned from an inmate that they also have the dirt road maps too. I just ordered mine.

The best deal is to come in on Thursday...run the dragon Friday morning before it fills up with the fools, get your picture, sticker and check that one off the list. Leave Sunday or Monday. Expect to get wet. It always rains some...

We generally sit around in the evening with beverages, a fire, and tell lies etc. Don't forget to donate to the beverage fund.

Usually someone crashes and usually it is a rookie. My first year...it was me.

Some guys trailer their bikes, some ride in. Trailers are nice to go get the crashed guy's bike.

I hope some of you join us. I'll post more information later. Feel free to ask any question.

I'll eventually get around to a sign up page so I can let Mo know how many we've got coming.

By the way...getting to know Mo is worth the trip. She will never forget your name. I am always amazed.

Kickstand Lodge Motorcycle Campground
    Just ordered the full map package!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Kickstand Ten, In the Land of the Dragon, NC Meet Up Event 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Advice from a guy that shows up every year with serious sport bikes (but sadly I can’t recall his name right now), is that leaving on Monday morning makes good sense if you need to depart via US129 north. Trying to get through the Tail of the Dragon with a pickup truck and trailer is better without the Sunday crowds.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Kickstand Ten, In the Land of the Dragon, NC Meet Up Event davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    I will be there!!!. I ride in either on Thursday or Friday morning (via the Dragon usually). I usually head home on Sunday morning (usually around 7-730am) and the Dragon is usually quiet. The past 2 years, only 1 car and 1 motorcycle both years with little or no oncoming traffic (think most of the other riders/drivers in the area sleeping in from night before).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    I will be in the area, I believe, but on the ADV rally in Murphy, NC. Want to follow this thread and maybe hook up when we all get down there. I will be going down Wednesday, but heading home Sunday morning.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x

I'm hoping to go up on Wed, Leave on Sunday.

Seems like I remember that ADV event last year.

Senior Member Kickstand Ten, In the Land of the Dragon, NC Meet Up Event frozenpoet's Avatar
    Bike: cbr600, NC700X
    I'm not doing a big trip this year, I'll have to check the vacation calendar at work, but I might make a long weekend out of it.
    I get 63 MPG, what do you get? Speeding tickets?
    I pack to camp but stay in a hotel because I have no idea what I'm doing...

instagram.com/J_in_the_va

on two wheels

A weekend can be plenty.

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    Down in that area, there are enough roads and twisties that arent "famous" to keep you busy the whole of the weekend. It is a great area and if you have a couple days to ride in the area you wont regret any of it.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x