Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for tips on riding on gravel

Member Looking for tips on riding on gravel ThumperX's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ATK 605 M900ie
    One of the biggest things I can contribute is this:

Stay loose on the bars, weight on the pegs, allow the bike to move underneath you. It will "hunt" for its track, let it.

Bike: Nc750x
    Quote Originally Posted by Brillot2000 View Post
    I'd recommend that you watch this video.

Reuben from Competition Accessories does a really nice series of weekly videos and bike reviews. I also recommend that you follow him weekly, you might find something useful from one of his videos.
    Thanks for the info and I will start to follow him every week, This is exactly what I was looking for.

Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    I have subscribed as well. Thanks.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Bike: Honda VFR 750, NC700X
    ThumperX stated the biggest and most common mistake... when people get into gravel and panic they lock their arms on the bars... that is the biggest cause of going down on gravel.

As he stated "Stay loose on the bars, weight on the pegs, allow the bike to move underneath you. It will "hunt" for its track, let it" If you learn to do that by instinct you have half the battle won.
    on NC700x, also have a VFR 750

Super Moderator Looking for tips on riding on gravel 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    As was already said, but something I find very important on a loose surface is this. Contrary to pavement riding, on loose gravel the front brake is not always your friend. Front brake use needs to be light and controlled. If you have no ABS and lock the front wheel, you will go down probably before you know how to correct. Not saying an expert can't do it, but a novice will probably dump it.

I can't say how the ABS will react, but I'd still refrain from grabbing a big handful.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Member Looking for tips on riding on gravel ThumperX's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ATK 605 M900ie
    ahhhemmmm,
    For the record, ThumperX is a middle aged Marin housewife. I am woman hear me roar!
    Now, back to regularly scheduled thread.

Riding dirt is like any other sport, best learned on something cheap, light, and small. The skills will transfer to street riding much more smoothly than street skills to dirt. The biggest thing is don't give up until there is NO hope, then for God's sake get your legs out of the way. If you find yourself in a patch of gravel on the NC, use your entire body and the throttle to get it right. The bike is so long that you can recover the front end by getting control of the back end. In the event the back end slides out (good luck getting the NC to break loose) have fun it will hook up with some traction before you even know what happened.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    There is a lot of good info on this thread. I can add nothing. Now I am off to watch those two clips. I have no doubt I will learn from them.

So Thumper X is from Marin. I once bought a Marin Mountain bike. It was a "state of the art" piece of kit at the time and seriously expensive. Must be all of 25 years ago. I still have it and will be off out on it again shortly when I recover from TKR surgery. Can't wait.

Bike: Honda VFR 750, NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
    ahhhemmmm,
    For the record, ThumperX is a middle aged Marin housewife. I am woman hear me roar!
    Now, back to regularly scheduled thread.
    My apologies, my daughter rides, so I should know better than to make assumptions on gender. :O
    I believe you probably have more dirt riding experience than I do (I only rode dirt about 5 years), I thought your post was spot on, about the biggest error riders make in gravel or dirt that have never ridden off road before. At least it's been the biggest I've witnessed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by netizen; 24th May 2014 at 21:14.
    on NC700x, also have a VFR 750

Bike: NC700XDCT
    Quote Originally Posted by HONDABIKEPRO View Post
    I always stand up in the dirt, as you get more experience you will stand even in the fast corners. The bike will handle much better standing, you can not get the center of gravity to low. I even stand up on the pegs on my gold wing on the dirt roads. Dale
    After reading this thread I feel less guilty about being nervous on gravel. I tried the standing trick and it works great. My biggest issue is suddenly coming upon a gravel covered portion of the road, especially on turns. Lot's of road work going on here and the first step in repaving is to dump stones across the road. The cage traffic behind be does not like me slowing for those areas and rides my tail as a result. I shoot away from them on the straight areas only to have them catch up at the next turn. I can see that contributing to people not wanting to share the road with bikes.
    2012 NC700XDCT

Lowered Rear 1 3/4", Lowered Front 3/4", Adjustable Side Stand, Rox Risers, Center Stand, Hand Guards, GIVI Top Box, adjustable brake lever, Denali Micro Lights

Senior Member Looking for tips on riding on gravel itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    Good info in here for noob such as I!