Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where stands your "fear line"?

Senior Member Where stands your "fear line"? bamamate's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X manual
    sand paper took care of my chicken strips

Previous: Kawasaki MT1A 75 (small fat tires, auto clutch), CB400 (Hawk), and after a 20+ year hiatus a NC700X

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT
    I have no idea what you all are talking about. I've got it in my mind this is the part of the tire that has no wear on it. My other ride was getting a square tire, so I have been attempting to lean more in the corners. I went too far on my PCX that I grinded the center stand and that lifted the rear tire. Slid for about 4 feet before I reacted by pushing the bike up, and myself lower to get the tire down. I saw sparks in my mirrors. When that happened it felt like I had all the time in the world to understand what was going wrong, correct it, and admire the sparks all at the same time.

I pulled over, heart racing, looked at my scooter, patted myself on the back for not biting it. Rode home.

Bike: NC700X
    These are my "chiken strips"!

Where stands your "fear line"?-crispy_chicken_strips_fries-jpg

I like them with a side order of fries!
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Check out the California Riders Group!

Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen.

Senior Member Where stands your "fear line"? happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Ah ha ha ha hah (LOL).

Yes chicken strips, ah those are called chicken strips. I have heard of them but could never really find out what those were.
    Well, I don't plan to go to 0mm. I think mine are quite close enough already.

Some riders cheat here. They go to a carpark, and they grind down the tires at low speeds.
    Well, the things which people do to gain "respect"...
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Interresting point.

At the moment, being a new motorcycle driver, I'a m on a lower point on the learning curve. Cold temperatures (so tyres temperature) doen't help to experience the lean limits. The moutain roads near my location are partially closed or there is a risk of remainig snow or ice. In the normal trafic there are too many limitations to be possible to experiment.

But that is one of my main questionning point about the driving. Not that I am inclined to push the limits, but only find a kind of limit just for my safety and my passenger.

I think it's also a question of time and practice. But any idea about how improve pilot's confidence in this point will be welcome.

B.R.

Senior Member Where stands your "fear line"? Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Interresting point.

At the moment, being a new motorcycle driver, I'a m on a lower point on the learning curve. Cold temperatures (so tyres temperature) doen't help to experience the lean limits. The moutain roads near my location are partially closed or there is a risk of remainig snow or ice. In the normal trafic there are too many limitations to be possible to experiment.

But that is one of my main questionning point about the driving. Not that I am inclined to push the limits, but only find a kind of limit just for my safety and my passenger.

I think it's also a question of time and practice. But any idea about how improve pilot's confidence in this point will be welcome.

B.R.

If such a thing is available in France then an advanced training course could be of great help
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

Senior Member Where stands your "fear line"? draco_1967's Avatar

Re: Where stands your "fear line"?

Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    Some riders cheat here. They go to a carpark, and they grind down the tires at low speeds.
    Well, the things which people do to gain "respect"...
    Not everyone does slow speed parking lot maneuvers to remove the "chicken stripes." Many do it to practice essential riding skills and fine control of the bike. That stuff isn't necessarily easy

Training courses exists in France, but before i would make my own experience, if not for a very long time, at least a few

Well, but when the weather was a little bit better, i observed the "chicken strips" on my tyre, and timidely but shurely, the width decrease.

Another thing i noticed : I ride moutain bike on a good level since 96. I my area and with my buddys, we use to ride in the Vosges moutains, and our usualy tracks are very steep, tricky, muddy, with a lot of small curves, stones, so (in general) the speed is low and you have to control visualy only a few meters in front of your weel.

With the motorcycle, I you have to do something opposite, dealing with fast speed and look far. A lot of habits to change.

I must say that I don't fear falling in moutain bike, it happends a lot of times, usauly without important injuries. But in motorcycle...

So...I take my time.

Senior Member Where stands your "fear line"? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Tires of the same nominal size all look pretty much the same but differ slightly in detail and one of those details is the width of the tread surface from edge to edge and also the height of the sidewall. These plus the cross sectional profile affects the width of the chicken strip for the same lean angle - for example a particular rider could ride out to the edges and erase all of the strip on one brand/model of tire but when another brand/model of tire is installed on the bike the same lean angle leaves a 5 mm chicken strip. I have some pictures somewhere showing this on three brands of 170/60ZR-17 tires run on my ST1300. An Avon had no strip, the Michelin had a slim one, and the Bridgestone had the widest one. I was able to measure all three tires to document the edge-to-edge width.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Supporting Vendor

Where stands your "fear line"?
    Bike: NC700X nc700xd
    I can still fold up the pegs with my tkc knobbys, but i would rather, just eat the chicken strips with fries. yum yum. dale