Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding with a passenger

Bike: 2017 NC 750X DCT

Riding with a passenger

I have agreed to take a woman I met for a ride this weekend, at her request. I am feeling kind of nervous about it, because I havenít ridden with a passenger in 35 years ( I just got back into riding again 3 years ago). How does the NC handle with a passenger? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ian

Senior Member Riding with a passenger
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    This probably makes sense but the bike handles heavier. More input to turn and takes longer to slow down. I have inexpensive gear for my spouse as it doesn't get used often.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Also goes without sayin', but just sayin'... be just a little more cautious, allow more space between vehicles while in traffic, allowing yourself more time to stop/avoid vehicles, Keep a good eye around you plus look 10-20 vehicles ahead, have her lean with you and not against you. Tell her to hang on to you(haha),.. and you both enjoy the days ride!! and hey, take her out for some PIE!!
    :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Ramp up the rear spring preload to the max. Otherwise the bike will squat in the rear and that will slow the steering. This is not a big deal but it will make the experience that bit more pleasant. I find that with the Wife on the rear of my Strom my riding style changes considerably as in being much less agressive on throttle and brakes and riding smoother to avoid Her being rocked back and forward.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member Riding with a passenger davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Ensure the passenger has ridden before and stress to the passenger to never make any sudden moves back there. Any sudden moves the passenger makes can cause you to lose balance (even at speeds) and you dont want to wobble into a different lane. Any moves the passenger makes should be at a stop with both of your feet on the ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Agree with advice already given. She needs to lean with you, and the bike does well 2-up (I’m 185 and my wife is about 130, so if you’re way off that maybe your experience will differ some).

Things you probably remember:
    Make it a point to be smoother than normal with throttle & clutch inputs (_you_ know you’re about to close the throttle and shift, but she doesn’t, so be smooth and gentle about it), start slowing much earlier than you may be accustomed to, and increase the shock preload if you can.

One thing my wife struggled with at first was squirming. She doesn’t like to be still, so she’d squirm around some. For me, that is worst at a stop when I just have one foot down and am about at the bike’s balance point. So I told her I need her to always go straight up onto both feet equally if she needs to move or re-position a little. Before I did that she thought that sort of scooting one side at a time would be less disruptive. For me that unbalanced me a whole lot more than if she’ll just move straight up and back.

It’s a good idea to work out a couple basic signals ahead of time if you don’t have headset communicators. She needs a way to signal that she wants to stop, for example.

I hope you have a great time!
    Last edited by MZ5; 3rd May 2019 at 12:43.

Bike: NC700X DCT, WR250X
    Yes, make sure she mimics your leaning. Had a friend take a passenger, when he leaned/turned right she leaned left. Net result - bike went straight!

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who for the posts and advice. Much appreciated!

Bike: 14 nc700x
    smooth and steady inputs,leave your self extra braking time and distance and tell your passenger to ALWAYS look over the inside(lower)shoulder in a turn that will keep them leaning with the curve, other wise enjoy the ride

Thank you. That’s an interesting idea, I haven’t heard that before.

The ride went well, and we both had a good time. Luckily we got the best weather we’ve had in weeks! She was squirming and moving around a bit, though I had instructed her to keep still, which was unsettling. I will remind her again next time. Had a scary moment backing out of a parking spot when the bike came heart-stoppingly close to the tipping point. Thankfully I was able to recover.
    Thanks again to everyone for the support!