Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High tech riding aids

Senior Member High tech riding aids dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
    Done some more riding with different TC settings.
    On pavement, I decided to leave it ON, default setting, which is the highest level of intervention.
    Found out quickly, this was best for now, because I found myself twisting the throttle in twisties as if I was still on the NC.
    I'll take it off or set it lower as I become more accustomed to her "wild side".

Off the tarmac, it really does not help much unless you put in lowest mode. There are many instances, when it kicks in,
    it comes as a surprise because you don't expect it. I guess that's exactly how it's supposed to work: instead of an unexpected
    slide, a surprise TC intervention. I'll take the latter.
    But, I'm keeping it in low for now. My off road ventures are mostly mild gravel mixed with few creek crossings and patches of dirt.

I don't want to become too dependent on this feature, because
    I don't want my riding style to become so erratic, with no fine sense of
    control over what the engine and tires are doing as I manipulate my throttle.

Or, do any of you think it's better to ride without it, carefully, and then put it on
    as insurance?
    Perhaps when riding off-road with it on try and develop the skill level to not have it intervene? I mean have it on but minimize it's interventions. I don't mean to be flippant but the best TC is the brain to right wrist connection. If you can feel what's going on at the contact patches you are doing just what the computer will do for you. EDIT... but the computer is there for you if you misjudge traction or roll across a small something that breaks the wheel loose. A safety net if you will. Otherwise depend on your skill not to trip the TC.
    Last edited by dduelin; 26th July 2016 at 09:39.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Perhaps when riding off-road with it on try and develop the skill level to not have it intervene? I mean have it on but minimize it's interventions. I don't mean to be flippant but the best TC is the brain to right wrist connection. If you can feel what's going on at the contact patches you are doing just what the computer will do for you. EDIT... but the computer is there for you if you misjudge traction or roll across a small something that breaks the wheel loose. A safety net if you will. Otherwise depend on your skill not to trip the TC.
    Sound advice. But already realized your point, on the day of the pic.
    I was riding with Alfred_Bham on the Silver DCT. He has dirt exp coming out the whazoo!
    He told me he rides in manual mode with TC off. Learned my limits that day.
    So every time on the route where the trail becomes harder, with tighter turns and incline/decline
    he disappears, all of a sudden. I can't even see his dust trail; he is so far gone.
    When I asked him what happens at twisties, he grins and says he can't help it.
    Enduro racing, in his blood and the AT just suits him fine.
    We were both on stock Dunlops.

Thanks for all the input thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    I know that I would not want to find out what the AT TC did when riding across Atlanta at night in a hard rain storm in the middle of the winter. Just reading your AT DCT comments, makes me see I have a new learning curve if I ever get my AT DCT. It will be interesting in all the sand and clay gumbo around my local area.
    I doubt that "curve" will be very steep. Your will just be a rider 'reborn'.
    You better get yourself ready for her. Less than a month away?
    Did you get your low seat on order? I am still waiting (ordered a month ago) for a $9 piece to complete
    my top case lock. Right now, instead of a key hole there is a nice hole for all sorts of critters to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by potter0o View Post
    I have not had traction control on a motorcycle but I did have it on my Mustang. For me it tried to stop the wheel from spinning out. For example if your in snow it will prevent one wheel from spinning quicker and digging a deeper hole. In some situations it was helpful and others not. Driving in the winter it help control the wheels from excessively spinning out..controlled acceleration in slippery conditions. When the vehicle go stuck it was annoying as you could not rock it out of a rut so would turn it off.

Interesting puzzle to have on a bike. Can you take it to some loose gravel, apply some front brakes and throttle to see what happens?
    I did not deliberately test TC this way, but the first intervention was very intrusive.
    The way I understand Honda implemented their TC is by controlling the fuel injection,
    which makes the intervention somewhat abrupt and noticeable ( a good thing I guess)

Senior Member High tech riding aids
    Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    https://youtu.be/-gu1W2DR-vU

please see this system from bosch

traction control, abs and stability control

these are now all standard system on cars.... motorcycle are far behind because we the consumer has not really ask for it.

wideguy
    Quote Originally Posted by mreric View Post
    YouTube

please see this system from bosch

traction control, abs and stability control

these are now all standard system on cars.... motorcycle are far behind because we the consumer has not really ask for it.
    All the hot modern top line sportbikes have sophisticated traction control, as good as in high dollar modern sports cars. (Stability on your motorcycle will depend solely on you... If you screw it up bad enough, it will spit you off, then sometimes straighten up and continue on without you.)

Traction control will potentially save your *** if you weren't being too stupid to begin with...