Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington State - July Trip ??

Bike: 2013 NC700x Red, 2013 CBR500r Red

Washington State - July Trip ??

I am planning a trip (mid-July for 10 days) ....and I thinking I want to "explore" Washington State !!!!! I have never been to Seattle and area....and after I looked at the map and studying the area....I think I want to go down and explore.

What should I see ??? Where should I go ?? What sights or spots are a "must" see ??? (Remember my NC is set-up for gravel too)

Just from looking at the map I want to do Hwy 101 around Olympic National Park and then maybe over to Mt St. Helens and Mt Rainer. But I am open minded and like just to "fly by the seat of my pants" so to speak. I like a "no place to be tonight" type vacation. I don't mind 20 minutes, 20 miles, 200 miles, or a full day, etc. down the road, just what ever I am in the mood for. (and the weather of course).

Thanks for your imput and I am look forward to making this a awesome vacation !!!
    2013 NC700x Red/Black *Adventure Edition* - Heidenau k60- Rear, TKC 80-Front, Honda Panniers and TopBox, BarkBuster Storm handguards, SW Motech skid plate, H&B crash guard, Zeta Bar Risers, Cee Bailey windscreen, SW Motech On/Offroad pegs, Pyramid Plastics Fender Extender, RAM X-grip, Seat Concepts seat, 12 volt plug in Funck, etc.

Just read Northwest riders "wabdr 2014" post...sure wished I could make it to that !!!!! NOW I am super excited for my trip after seeing the posts and pics in his post !!!
    2013 NC700x Red/Black *Adventure Edition* - Heidenau k60- Rear, TKC 80-Front, Honda Panniers and TopBox, BarkBuster Storm handguards, SW Motech skid plate, H&B crash guard, Zeta Bar Risers, Cee Bailey windscreen, SW Motech On/Offroad pegs, Pyramid Plastics Fender Extender, RAM X-grip, Seat Concepts seat, 12 volt plug in Funck, etc.

Bike: NC700X
    Must see at least once in your life is the space needle and Seattle Monorail.
    Last edited by Old Can Ride; 16th June 2014 at 21:57.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Washington State - July Trip ?? Chestnut's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I really enjoyed the 112 from Port Angeles to Cape Flattery (the northwest tip of the Olympic Peninsula). The road up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP was a good run, too. I'm sure some of the locals will chime in with their suggestions soon.
    Eagerly awaiting the day tiny feet can reach the passenger pegs...

Fixed Idea Washington State - July Trip ??
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Olympic Peninsula is an awesome ride

I also really dug Eastern Wa. (specially cause it was so nice and dry, leaving a wet Vancouver, lol) If you've hung around Drumheller and enjoyed the desert-like feeling, you'll know what I mean.

I *think* this was right near the Washington/Oregon border south of Yakima/north of Pendleton-ish. Less than a mile from this gas station, my buddy and I got low buzzed by a couple fighter jets playing out there, it was so totally cool

Washington State - July Trip ??-washington-petrol-jpg

Have a blast and say hi to some of our Washington NCX peeps if you can!

Commuter Extraordinaire Washington State - July Trip ??
    Bike: NC700X
    I don't know if you plan on doing any sight seeing off the bike but a popular spot in Seattle is Pike Place Market. Pike Place Market
    They also have an underground tour. https://www.undergroundtour.com/

I'll leave the riding routes for the guys that live there now. I lived in Washington State for my first 21 years of life so I only rode there six years and most of that was north of Seattle. My family is from the Everett area. Seattle has grown a lot since I left but I used to enjoy riding Hwy 20 out of Burlington either direction. Deception Pass is pretty cool. You can actually see small whirpool looking funnels in the water at times. Take it out to Whidbey Island. I've been to Fort Casey several times. Fort Casey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From there you could hop a ferry to Mukilteo and make your way back to I-5. Then head to your next destination. You can also take Hwy 20 east out of Burlington which is a really nice ride through the monutains. Catch 97 south to Hwy 2 and head back west to the Seattle area.

I've ridden Hwy 101 but it's been a long time. That road can get a little busy. Not sure how it is now. I used to spend a lot of time in Oceans Shores. If you looking for a day to relax it is a nice area. Was anyway.

Senior Member Washington State - July Trip ?? itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    You'll have a blast no matter where you end up. I've only been to WA once and that was to Spokane in the '60s. All I remember was everything was green - my favorite color (talking about plants). I remember seeing lots of mountains.
    That wabdr thing looks like a trip worthy thing to do all by itself!

Bike: FJR1300A, NC700XD
    Some must ride roads (IMO) in WA are:
    Hwy 20 (North Cascades Hwy) between Hwy 97 and Interstate I-5 - only open in summer and has breathtaking mountain views.
    Hwy 410 between Mt Rainier and Yakima - suggest entering Mt Rainier park in the southwest corner and connecting with 410 to Yakima across 2 beautiful mountain passes.
    National Forest roads 25 and 99 on the east side of Mt St Helens - paved, VERY twisty roads through forest that are rough in some spots with views of the mountain.
    There's lots of options for connecting these roads together, depending on how much riding vs sightseeing you want to do each day.
    ------------------------------
    '13 NC700X DCT, '07 FJR1300
    Member IBA, AMA and NRA

Senior Member Washington State - July Trip ??
    Bike: 2012 NC700X; 2005 GL1800A
    Give me a Sunday in mid-July and I'd love to take a ride with you. Check out the albums in my profile for some of the day trips around here....
    IBA: 64008
    Best Mileage: 80.9 mpg; Worst Mileage: 51.4 mpg; Average Fun: 10/10

Check out the: Pacific Northwest Riders Group join The Down to Earth Club if you have qualified.
    "I don't care what the weather is, when I can ride I will ride - there plain and simple." - OCR
    Contingit ergo stercore configes tua cursoriam

Thanks every one for the input.... great fun researching all these suggestions. Keep them coming ..... I love map reading !!!!

I just hope weather is decent. Last year (mind you it was last week of June/1st week in July) my trip to Vancouver Island and Alaska was nothing but RAIN !!! Everyday of my trip rain, drizzle, sprinkles, downpours with just a few sunny breaks....all 10 days. Broke me in hard BUT now I can vacation in ANY weather !!! LOL