Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 State Trip on my NC

Bike: NC700X

8 State Trip on my NC

8 State Trip on my NC-0902190935_hdr-jpg

Hi, everyone! I've been lurking all summer here and wanted to share about my 2015 NC700X.

I just completed a 3,395 mile, nine day, eight state, trip from Minnesota to Texas. Rode the Twisted Sisters and hit the Devils backbone, Hells road, and the Arkansas Pig Trail on the way home. I purchased it as a new old model this spring and rolled over 6k miles by the end of the trip. We rode everything from interstate, city freeways, back roads, a little off roading, and twisties.

There were seven bikes on the trip mostly baggers, one dyna glide (they didn't participate in the off roading ), the mans FJR, and my NC; so I was by far riding the littlest bike of the group. I even got to see another NC in the wild while stopping at a bar in Arkansas! My NC kept up easy with the big bikes no matter what we were riding. Thanks to my aircushion seat pad Im not even sore!

Im 53, 125 lbs, with a 26 inseam, below are the mods I made to my NC.

• Madstad Windshield system It's Fantastic! I had a Givi 19 and it was horrible.
    • USA-BIKER Engine Guard (wing style) It takes quite the beating, best $70 I spent.
    • GIVI Handguards Ill opt for the cheapies when I need to replace them.
    • Adjustable Lowering Links (lowered 3) After riding on the aircushion for the trip we are going to raise it up 1.
    • Rox 2 Handlebar Risers used to pullback 2
    • Seat Concepts Seat Low - It's nicer then stock. I can ride 100 miles before I need to stop with the Seat Concepts Seat. The low doesn't feel any lower then the stock seat.
    • Large Tusk Panniers
    • Shorty Motorcycle Levers
    • Cramp Buster Throttle Assist
    • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock
    • Grip Puppy Comfort Grips
    • Phone Mount

These extras really helped on the trip:
    • Spirit Airlines Foldable Travel Tote $10 on Amazon fit the large Tusk panniers almost perfect. They are about 3 shorter than the panniers, so you can fit a tool kit and extra rain gear under them.
    • The air cushion knock off I got for $50 on amazon saved my backside. Im really glad I found that gem for the trip!
    • Tail bag, I used as a snack pack. It made popping the seat to fuel up extra easy since it had a handle; I'll probably leave it on permanently.

Im definitely planning on taking the NC on more long trips in the future!

Senior Member 8 State Trip on my NC davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    cool beans..rolling rolling rolling,,,keep them doggies rolling... glad you like the bike...I rode mine to work today...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member 8 State Trip on my NC ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Awesome! Some folks think these bikes are only good for commuting...But..with some mods they can be competent touring machines..

Welcome!
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Great first post!

I'm also believer in the Madstad windscreens

Any chance you can give a link to the USA-BIKER engine guards?

My wife's NC700x is also lowered, but not quite enough to make her happy so I'm going to lower it a little bit more. She has a SOUPY's adjustable lowering link on the rear of her bike.

What frames did you use on which to mount the Tusk boxes?

Senior Member 8 State Trip on my NC dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Nice! Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Any chance you can give a link to the USA-BIKER engine guards?
    Here are the crash guards. My man was skeptical of them and didn't like the U-bolt they attached with. He came around, I have dropped the NC more then any other motorcycle, all at less then 10 mph, but still far too many times usually while off road. Between the bags and the crash guard the NC never touches the ground when it goes down. They also work great for highway pegs if you have short legs.

My wife's NC700x is also lowered, but not quite enough to make her happy so I'm going to lower it a little bit more. She has a SOUPY's adjustable lowering link on the rear of her bike.
    I have SOUPY's adjustable links as well, lowered to the max. The only thing that came up lowering it that much is the high beam headlights point up instead of at the road, making night time riding precarious, but I don't like riding at night so not really an issue for me.

What frames did you use on which to mount the Tusk boxes?
    I used Givi PL1111 Monokey Tubular Side Case Holder and GIVI 1111KIT Fitting Kit. Tusk bags are universal, so you need to drill the holes to mount it to the kit for your motorcycle.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Congrats MT on the great purchase of your NC. and a hearty Welcome from north IDAHO! Good for you, 8-states and 3,400 miles, that is amazing my hat is off to you! I too went on a long ride with mine earlier this summer, back in May. I made 2600+ miles in 9 days and covered 7 states. Wa, Id, Mt, Ut, Co, Nmex, Az and back. Keep you eye out as there are several of us heading to Alaska next year. I'm headed up in June, any and all are welcome to join, meet up or tag along. :{)
    Last edited by Rapturee; 10th September 2019 at 13:32. Reason: rented fingers, though my lease is about up
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Oh, how do you like your Tusk boxes? I'm looking at selling my factory honda luggage and getting a pair of the Large Tusk Boxes... :{P

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Oh, how do you like your Tusk boxes? I'm looking at selling my factory honda luggage and getting a pair of the Large Tusk Boxes... :{P
    LOVE the Tusk panniers! I get a lot of WTF looks and pack mule comments, as they are huge on the bike. The mediums probably would be more in scale with the size of the bike. At 37L each I have a ridiculous amount of storage. They did shave off 4 mpg the moment I put them on and if I am on the interstate running at 85 with a strong cross wind my mpg drops to 50, they are just gigantic sails. They can take a beating though. They've landed on curbs, rocks (large & small), and gravel with only some slight scuffing.

Here is a pic of the load i carried when i took my 7 state trip. Talk about wind-sails, oh ya buddy! I hit some areas with severe side and head winds where i quickly found myself in 5th gear just to maintain 65mph-70mph.
    8 State Trip on my NC-3step-vac-hole-rock-welded-jeep-jpg

When the gusts hit it would drop my speed almost 5mph. Although it was crazy at times, i'm planning on making the trip down to 3-Step Hideaway again next year for another week of riding around down there! I packed so much lighter the following trip I took to Glacier National Park, still felt the effects of the gusty winds, but not near as much haha.
    8 State Trip on my NC-gnp-galcier-campground-sign-nc-jpg

Hope to see you on the road sometime. :{)