Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 State Trip on my NC

Bike: 2013 NC 700x
    This is fantastic! I'm departing at the end of next week on a kind of reverse version going from Laredo up to Duluth, over the lakes and then back down through Michigan to home again. Thanks very much for posting up your supplies and what saved you. I had debated buying some small boxes to keep the side cases organized.

Any mechanical surprises or man that saved my butt kind of gear besides the seat cushion of course :-)

Was the cruise control / throttle lock worth it? I have a cramp buster already.
    '13 NC700x --------- '07 Rebel

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    All I know is that my daughter went around my truck and tried coming up on the pavement at to shallow of an angle and she went down at low speed and this is what I found out the next day... these bars don't have a brace that keeps them from bending back. She wasn't hurt and they did their job as her leg was fine and the bike was protected. That's why I bought them. Leg protection on a spill over. She only has the GIVI 22's.
    Another thing you NEED to know. They are stainless steel u-bolts and a stainless cap nut. You need to lube these or else they will gall when you try to take them off and the nut won't come off and it will snap. Trust me I know! You will need to take the right side U-bolt off when you do your valve checks. Otherwise the plastic threaded plug on the engine block can't unscrew enough to remove. I now have steel u-bolts and they are lubed with anti-seize. Bought at Fastenal and the bolt length cut to correct length with a hacksaw and the nut at the right length so the threads don't get messed up. The other bike has stainless and I lubed that with anti-seize and no problems. Learned on the first bike.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1wiseguy2; 12th September 2019 at 15:57.

Bike: 2012 NC700x

cruise control

Hey FT. I do have both the cramp buster and a throttle lock on mine though i was not able to use the throttle lock very much due to frequent elevation changes and pretty severe winds from all angles. It was more than frustrating trying to keep the bike at a reasonably constant speed. Between the constant elevation changes and the severe winds i faced, i'd lose or gain 10-15 mph! Completely annoying to me so i simply removed the throttle lock and tossed it into the Frunk to use at a later date.

Stopping more for pictures with my iPhone quickly became annoying(now i'm buying a little point-n-shoot camera that i can operate with one hand and wear around my neck).

Hydrating better/more.

Eating a big breakfast, then a lite lunch and lite supper really helped.

Invest in a head-net for bugs if they are an annoyance for you(seasonal).

Enjoy your trip FT, i am excited for you..! I am trying to head over to Yellowstone the end of next week if i can put it together. :{P
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member 8 State Trip on my NC
    8 State Trip on my NC

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT, 2005 R1150R, 2011 R1200GS
    "I have SOUPY's adjustable links as well, lowered to the max. The only thing that came up lowering it that much is the high beam headlights point up instead of at the road, making night time riding precarious"

Hey Storm.. When you lowered the rear with Soupy's, did you lower the front as well? I built links for mine (lowered the seat approx 1.25") and then slid the front forks up through the triple clamps about the same amount. The bike still rides at it's original attitude. Handling did not take a big hit. I also had to cut down the sidestand. But it all worked out.

Congrats on the long ride and proving that the NC can handle touring.
    >T
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot144 View Post

We came back from 4000 miles around the Great Lakes and had Atlas Throttle Locks installed on both of our bikes. I've got tennis elbow and honestly there is no way I could have finished the trip without the throttle lock. Personally I like the Atlas better than the GoCruise type units, but I believe its a personal preference thing. And a GoCruise2 is 1/4th the price of an Atlas so Atlas is not the economy choice. Some people swear the GoCruise type units are the best on the market. Again personal preference.

My suggestion is that it is better to have one than to not have one.

Bike: 2013 NC 700x
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Hey FT. I do have both the cramp buster and a throttle lock on mine though i was not able to use the throttle lock very much due to frequent elevation changes and pretty severe winds from all angles. It was more than frustrating trying to keep the bike at a reasonably constant speed. Between the constant elevation changes and the severe winds i faced, i'd lose or gain 10-15 mph! Completely annoying to me so i simply removed the throttle lock and tossed it into the Frunk to use at a later date.

Stopping more for pictures with my iPhone quickly became annoying(now i'm buying a little point-n-shoot camera that i can operate with one hand and wear around my neck).

Hydrating better/more.

Eating a big breakfast, then a lite lunch and lite supper really helped.

Invest in a head-net for bugs if they are an annoyance for you(seasonal).

Enjoy your trip FT, i am excited for you..! I am trying to head over to Yellowstone the end of next week if i can put it together. :{P
    The breakfast routine is a nice tip.

I have a point and shoot camera I'm planning to carry on a strap slung around behind me. If I stop and want to snap a photo I won't have to take my gloves off and dig out my phone to capture it. Fingers crossed it works as expected.

Sorry to hear that the throttle lock wasn't very useful, at the same time I'm glad I'm hearing that now and not 100+ dollars later.
    Thanks for mentioning your experience Melensdad. I may get one after this trip.

Yosemite would be so beautiful! I hope you get to check it out. I want to do a cross country circuit sometime soon. I don't want to do it in the snow though.

My rear rack just came in so I'm excited about being able to fuel up without having to unload all the gear.

I'll be sure and make a thread about it when I'm back in a couple weeks.
    '13 NC700x --------- '07 Rebel

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I don't remember what the brand is of my throttle lock, but i sure like it. As i recall it was only $50, and well worth it the few times i have been able to use it. I keep it in the Frunk and easy to grab anytime! Good luck on your trip, safe travels! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Very cool trip! That's some solid mileage on the ole NC!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot144 View Post
    I've broken both my wrists, so I tend to baby them. I ride with a cramp buster all the time. The throttle lock was used when I covered miles and miles of flat or to give my wrist a break and drop it down. My throttle lock is not removable it is secured to my bars and I flip it on and off with my thumb. It does take a while to figure out how to set it and adjust it while riding, but once it is figured out it is useful for longer trips.

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Olythom View Post
    [I]When you lowered the rear with Soupy's, did you lower the front as well? >T
    I did not lower the front, which is why my headlights point more up then at the road for night riding. lol The bike handles really well with just the back lowered, so I didn't see a reason to adjust the front.