Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baja Mexico on the NC700X

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Great write up, thanks for the report about the trip and the review of the equipment.

BTW, I also have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket and love it. Although I don't use it during most of the summer as I find it too warm, with inadequate venting for humid weather we get in my local. I use it in mainly on days when the temps will be 75 (F) or below. Great jacket and great value.

Totally agree with you about Rev'it and Klim gear. Great stuff.

I do wonder why you chose a 20" Madstad windscreen. My 5'8" wife has a 16" on her NC700x and at 6' tall I have an 18" on my NC750x. Decided on the heights after trading a couple emails with Madstad and I'm wondering if the buffeting you are getting is because you screen is too tall?

What are the Motowerks mirror extenders???

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I too love my Kilimanjaro for cooler/cold weather. Much too warm for the Southeast from around April through September. I used to wear a FirstGear mesh, but grew concerned about abrasion resistance since I ride in warm/hot weather 6+ months. So I broke down and bought a Klim Induction mesh. Really like that, tons of airflow, and hopefully their unique mesh will survive the slide better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I too love my Kilimanjaro for cooler/cold weather. Much too warm for the Southeast from around April through September. I used to wear a FirstGear mesh, but grew concerned about abrasion resistance since I ride in warm/hot weather 6+ months. So I broke down and bought a Klim Induction mesh. Really like that, tons of airflow, and hopefully their unique mesh will survive the slide better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest shortcoming of the First Gear Kilimanjaro is in hot/humid air, especially at modest or low speeds. Just not enough airflow. I can see how it would be a big problem in the Southeast. It is here in the humid midwest too. But in the right conditions my Kilimanjaro jacket shines as a great jacket!

I also have a Klim Apex Air which is a partial mesh jacket with zippers that close the mesh. Even with all the mesh vents open I tend to bake at stop lights and in city traffic. Over 35mph and I'm fine. Its a great jacket but I'm looking at adding a full mesh and the Klim Induction is on my short list of jackets to consider. Klim's mesh is supposed to be very good at abrasion resistance. I know the mesh panel on the back of my Apex Air jacket will scratch your hand if you rub up against it, not sure if that translates into protection against an asphalt slide.

Bike: Honda NC700X DCT, Yamaha Super Tenere
    I did a trip like yours in 2015, minus the offroading part. I did learn that if there is a gap between gas stations like from El Rosaria to Guerrero Negro the fuel solution is to nurse the throttle. I ran between 50-55 mph and arrived on fumes in Guerrero Negro. I still carry 4 liters of fuel in bottles. The photo is a little misleading because I am using Dolomiti cases now.
    Attached Images Attached Images Baja Mexico on the NC700X-img_3013-jpg 
    Last edited by mercurydog47; 15th August 2019 at 14:28.

Here is a better depiction of the extra fuel setup. Again, I am using Dolomiti cases now but the idea is the same. I have a plastic bridge to enable me to mount the bottles on the side of the topcase. I figure that the 4 liters will give me 55-60 more miles before I am pushing the bike.

Attachment 38927 Here is one picture...

Bike: NC700X DCT, WR250X
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurydog47 View Post
    I did a trip like yours in 2015, minus the offroading part. I did learn that if there is a gap between gas stations like from El Rosaria to Guerrero Negro the fuel solution is to nurse the throttle. I ran between 50-55 mph and arrived on fumes in Guerrero Negro. I still carry 4 liters of fuel in bottles. The photo is a little misleading because I am using Dolomiti cases now.
    I can nurse it into Jesus Maria, first gas stationjust a few miles north of Guerra Negro if I fill up at El Rosario (after eating at mama espinoza’s). New gas pumps have been setup in Catavina for 2 or 3 years but not on yet as far as I know.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurydog47 View Post
    Baja Mexico on the NC700X

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Junior Member Baja Mexico on the NC700XBaja Mexico on the NC700X
    Bike: 2013 Honda NC700x, 2017 Moto Guzzi v7III Stone
    Here's a link to the Motowerks website, where I purchased the mirror extenders.

Honda Mirror Extenders – Moto Werk

Also, I tried the 18" Madstad, but that didn't work for me. The 20" Madstad with the Puig lip work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Great write up, thanks for the report about the trip and the review of the equipment.

BTW, I also have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket and love it. Although I don't use it during most of the summer as I find it too warm, with inadequate venting for humid weather we get in my local. I use it in mainly on days when the temps will be 75 (F) or below. Great jacket and great value.

Totally agree with you about Rev'it and Klim gear. Great stuff.

I do wonder why you chose a 20" Madstad windscreen. My 5'8" wife has a 16" on her NC700x and at 6' tall I have an 18" on my NC750x. Decided on the heights after trading a couple emails with Madstad and I'm wondering if the buffeting you are getting is because you screen is too tall?

What are the Motowerks mirror extenders???