Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best roadside assistance/travel membership?

Super Moderator Best roadside assistance/travel membership? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    So nobody here uses AAA for their roadside assistance?

Seems like AMA is most common?

Maybe I should have asked this question in my original post, but does AMA cover the bikes while they are in Canada?
    I briefly looked at AAA but it seems like covering anything besides cars means you have to pay more.

I called the AMA prior to my Canada/Alaska trip I’m currently on, and I was told the coverage is good in Canada.

As for the Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc. plan, coverage is also good in Canada. The membership card shows a separate phone number to call for assistance in Canada.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Best roadside assistance/travel membership? New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    So nobody here uses AAA for their roadside assistance?
    Yes, I use AAA. I have had AAA for years for my wife's peace of mind and when I got this bike last year I added the bike coverage. In fact I just used it a couple of weeks ago when I had my flat.

Now, here's the issue. I drove a tow truck years ago and so I have a little insight as to what happens when you call AAA. You talk to a AAA dispatcher that takes all of your info, including which tire is flat, what color is the bike and that it is, in fact, a motorcycle. AAA then calls one of their contractors that has the contract for the area where you broke down and their dispatcher calls one of their tow truck operators, gives them NONE of the information that you gave AAA and sends them out simply telling them that it's a black Honda. The driver shows up pissed off because he doesn't get much for AAA calls and he didn't know that he was picking up a bike.

I got lucky the guy that came out was experienced and I had a good conversation with him on the way back in his air-conditioned truck, but all-in-all I would probably consider AMA myself if it wasn't that I canceled my membership when they were fighting to pass a law that all bikes have their high-beams on permanently. (yes, some years ago now.) But the peace of mind that AAA gives me for the cars as well helps.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website