Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for a noob going coast to coast and back?

Senior Member Advice for a noob going coast to coast and back?
    Bike: '14 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Another thing came to mind. If you are likely to go outside of cell phone range, and/or your health could give you trouble, or you just want another method of summoning help should something go awry, I suggest getting an InReach satellite radio (or the competitor, SPOT), and subscribing to their $14.95/month service plan. You can use this radio for interactive SOS whether you have cell phone coverage or not. You can also send unlimited preprogrammed messages to family to let them know your location and status.
    I disagree with this. He might go out of cell range, but it sounds as if he's traveling on well used public roads during mostly daylight hours. I think this falls in to the unnecessary pile
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

Senior Member Advice for a noob going coast to coast and back? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    In addition Iíd suggest two or three 3 or 4 day trips between now and October just to see how to pack and how little you really need to take, what works for you, etc.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: DR350
    A hearty thank you to everyone who offered their wisdom so far!

Iím really leaning towards going the all hotel and eating out daily route, as opposed to packing camping and cooking equipment. It will give me more time for both sightseeing and quality rest.

However, I also really like the ďTent SpaceĒ threads at ADVrider and would like to take advantage of that, so Iím undecided. However, the after effects of the stroke make getting up off the ground a real chore, so the cot is a necessity. And despite the weight, Iím going with a DiscoBed cot for cot height and stability and because there are no bars under your back. Iím topping it with a Kamp-Rite "IPS" cot tent.

All these inputs are most welcome and are clarifying my thoughts for both the months ahead and the trip itself!

Senior Member Advice for a noob going coast to coast and back? Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    In addition I’d suggest two or three 3 or 4 day trips between now and October just to see how to pack and how little you really need to take, what works for you, etc.
    Yup. Agree. Right now top priority.
    Such a shame you're not closer to me so we can "train" together.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    On my long trip I got a medjet policy to get me and the bike home "just in case" of injury or health issue. I ended up shipping camping gear home and staying in motels. A banana and coffee in the morning. ride awhile, stop for "brunch". Dinner after finding a place to stay the night.

I live on the east coast, so I ended up waking early and usually on the road by sun-up. Usually quit early. Averaged about 425 miles a day. Over 500 in the plains, shorter days in the mountains and interesting places. Meet people. It makes the trip better.

I took some heated gear and glad I did. (June) got cold up in the mountains.

I used a duffle to carry everything I would need in the room. I then just removed that when entering the motel.

Three pair of socks, three undies, three tees. On set was washed in the motel sink each night. Put in a mesh bag on the top box in case they didn't dry. One set of street clothes.

I carried an extra throttle cable, extra brake lever, and oil filters. I also had a tire plug kit and pump.
    Last edited by drdubb; 24th April 2019 at 12:35.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    ... However, I also really like the “Tent Space” threads at ADVrider and would like to take advantage of that, so I’m undecided...
    In this case you kinda MUST do couple overnights with your camping gear, couple days in a row. If you feel not rested and miserable after 2nd of 3rd night, abandon the Tent Space idea for this trip.

There is one more thing I forgot to mention: according to many riders I talked to, when you leave your home, the biggest "crisis" is about 3rd day. After 3rd day everything goes much smoother. I don't know why is that...

Bike: DR350
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    In addition I’d suggest two or three 3 or 4 day trips between now and October just to see how to pack and how little you really need to take, what works for you, etc.
    That’s definitely in my plans for the next several months. I’ll be heading up to Arcadia in Maine as well as the northeastern Canadian provinces in a couple weeks, and I’ll be making multiple trips to Pennsylvania to visit family this summer.

It’s ironic that these strokes which caused me to retire young from a 21 year solo practice in Podiatry (I never thought I’d walk again at the time) has provided the time and finances (disability settlement) to make some travel plans I never would have considered if I were still “healthy” and in practice.
    Last edited by BrianK; 24th April 2019 at 14:02.

Senior Member Advice for a noob going coast to coast and back? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
    On my long trip I got a medjet policy to get me and the bike home "just in case" of injury or health issue. I ended up shipping camping gear home and staying in motels. A banana and coffee in the morning. ride awhile, stop for "brunch". Dinner after finding a place to stay the night.

I live on the east coast, so I ended up waking early and usually on the road by sun-up. Usually quit early. Averaged about 425 miles a day. Over 500 in the plains, shorter days in the mountains and interesting places. Meet people. It makes the trip better.

I took some heated gear and glad I did. (June) got cold up in the mountains.

I used a duffle to carry everything I would need in the room. I then just removed that when entering the motel.

Three pair of socks, three undies, three tees. On set was washed in the motel sink each night. Put in a mesh bag on the top box in case they didn't dry. One set of street clothes.

I carried an extra throttle cable, extra brake lever, and oil filters. I also had a tire plug kit and pump.
    Drdubb, I heartily agree. When I started motorcycle traveling I was given three good pieces of advice.

1. Do 40 miles before breakfast. If you are one of those that sleep late and/or prep meals in the campground you never get anywhere. Pack a small ditty bag with a Jet Boil or MSR Dragon Fly and stuff to make a cup of coffee. No other meal preparation tools or gear necessary.

2. A big breakfast on the road somewhere around 10 am, ride into the mid afternoon and eat another meal on the road around 4 or pick up a sub or the like to eat in the campground.

3. The 3 Pile Method of unpacking. Take small trips to get used to motocamping before a long trip. When back home from a small trip, unpack all the stuff into three piles. Pile 1 was stuff you used and will take next time. Pile 2 was stuff I didn't use but might use next time. Pile 3 was stuff I'll never use or I can easily buy on the road if I need it. After a few trips you can pack really light, everything remaining is Pile 1 Worthy.

Often we think jeans and tee shirts are good riding or camping clothing. Jeans are heavy, pack big, and take forever to dry, tees only slightly less so. Three days in damp cotton underwear will chap your a**. Invest in synthetic technical apparel that is warm, or cool, will dry overnight in a motel room and pack very small and doesn't stink if you are forced to wear it a couple extra days. Two light layers mo better than one cotton one. We can endure a lot of adventure if we can stay comfortable and dry. Uncomfortable and wet makes adventure an ordeal.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Advice for a noob going coast to coast and back? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    Hi folks,
    This October I’m planning a month trip from here in Massachusetts to visit my son in Silverado CA near Los Angeles, then ride back.
    Soooo..You are talking about what? A 6-7,000 mile trip. Have you ridden a motorcycle for say, five out of seven days straight, without the benefit of any other transportation for a couple of weeks? Have you camped while traveling on a motorcycle for weeks at a time? Camping on a M/C can be fun, doing it for a month, rain or shine sounds like torture but that is just me ;-)

Riding that type of distance on a commuter motorcycle will be a challenge. A huge challenge with (possible) life changing results (good or bad) so don't take it lightly. How many gas stops are you planning for? At any of the more elevated speeds (found out West) and fully loaded your range will be much, MUCH less than you get puttering around town. Riding in heavy traffic: You think traffic gets bad on 495 or the Mass Pike? Compared to large areas of Cali those Mass highways will seem like raceways as you crawl along at 10mph afraid to lane split.

Have you ever ridden long distances on the bike you have now (not a previous one)?

I mean this with no disrespect but if your longest rides have been 6 hours or so a day I think you will find it VERY challenging to travel 7,000 miles without some serious off the bike recovery time. Can you ride 7,000 miles? Probably, but doing it safely in all kinds of traffic, weather, road conditions, etc, etc, would be tough for any rider and especially on a motorcycle with a completely different design mission than a more focused mount, and with (relatively) zero experience in multi day rides. I don't like those ingredients and for me the risk/reward wouldn't work. Can it be done? Sure! Would I do it? Nope.

Not trying (ok, I sorta am) to discourage you but please think of your actual abilities, the motorcycle's abilities and compare that to what you can realistically expect on not one, but two transcontinental rides taken back to back (!). Godspeed if you decide to do this..

EDIT: Couple of summers ago I rode from Maine to New Mexico. Previously I had done quite a few long day rides on the bike. Like 600 mile long day rides. No problem. BUT what I found out was that when you start stringing those rides back to back to back. etc you get tired. Quickly. And sore. Like (not to be too graphic) bloody blisters on your butt sore. Don't underestimate the recovery time you will need when off the motorcycle.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 24th April 2019 at 15:56.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    Soooo..You are talking about what? A 6-7,000 mile trip. Have you ridden a motorcycle for say, five out of seven days straight, without the benefit of any other transportation for a couple of weeks? Have you camped while traveling on a motorcycle for weeks at a time? Camping on a M/C can be fun, doing it for a month, rain or shine sounds like torture but that is just me ;-)
    Somehow I read your post a bit darker then it actually is. I agree there are many not so nice things that could happen, but usually they don't. I'm rather optimistic than pessimistic. let's help the guy to do his "ride of the lifetime", point him in the right direction, help him to see himself can he or he can't do it. Not to discourage him on the beginning.

In 2015 I had my first more-than-3-days trip, to SD from IA. In 2016 I had 13 days trip to California, about 4,500 miles. So, it's not impossible, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    ... EDIT: Couple of summers ago I rode from Maine to New Mexico. Previously I had done quite a few long day rides on the bike. Like 600 mile long day rides. No problem. BUT what I found out was that when you start stringing those rides back to back to back. etc you get tired. Quickly. And sore. Like (not to be too graphic) bloody blisters on your butt sore. Don't underestimate the recovery time you will need when off the motorcycle.
    From your picture (the license plate) and the part "... Like 600 mile long day rides... back to back to back..." I see you are long distance rider. Somebody enjoys sitting on his bike 12+ hours, to get as far as possible, not doing many stops. Maybe, I'm assuming, that's the reason of the "... bloody blisters on your butt sore..."?

BrianK, in his post said "Due to chronic post stroke fatigue I’m limited to 6-8 hours of daylight riding per day...". That's, let say about 350 miles a day, right? That's what usually I do. Plenty of riding, plenty of relaxing time. And never, ever had an issue with blisters, or anything similar. So, it is possible.
    Also, his ride will take probably between 6K-7K miles, to LA and back home. Riding 350 miles/day, it's no more than 20 days. And he dedicated a whole month. To me it still sounds very doable. And, to me, he's mentally ready - most important part. What's left is just "training". Right?