Thread: First motorcycle dirt ride.

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700x

First motorcycle dirt ride.

It was short but this was my first dirt ride on a motorcycle.. Lol. Couldn't be more happier to do it on the NC , although I took it nice and slow. San Diego, Otay Truck trail.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Senior Member First motorcycle dirt ride.
    First motorcycle dirt ride.
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    Beautiful day and view! Some sweet memories no doubt.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Very nice!

Looks like you had a great day to try it out.

I've had a few accidental dirt/gravel road rides. Living in a rural area we've found out the hard way that sometimes when going over a hill or around a corner the pavement ends, very unexpectedly, and the road becomes gravel or just a dirt track. I'll admit that I will be changing the tires before mine are totally worn out to something that is a bit more stable with a bit more grip on loose surfaces.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    ...and great tires to have done it with! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    ...and great tires to have done it with! :{)
    Dropped to 25psi F/R. Is that about right when going off pavement?

Senior Member First motorcycle dirt ride. StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    As the discussion turns to tire pressure, I will follow...

If I'm running 100% Freeway tires (Conti Motions), ...

1. Is there any advantage to letting pressure out for dirt roads?
    2. If so, how much?
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: 2012 NC700X manual
    Nice pics! looks like a great ride. you must be hitting prime riding weather down there. (It's winter this week in Denver- 2 straight days of clouds rain/snow )

I run 36f/42r on the street. Mostly commuter miles. If I am doing an extended day on dirt I will drop to 24f/28r. I don't know that there is anything magical about those levels. I do notice the difference but it is also high enough that I don't worry about the tire slipping on the rim or losing pressure altogether. If it is just a couple of miles on a mostly pavement ride I don't bother.

Dropping the pressure will certainly improve your traction in dirt as the tire contact patch will expand and conform more to the surface. I imagine that is true even with 100% street tires like the Conti's.

I did do a training class a few years ago where the instructor, who rode a big GS, said he left his pressure at around 26 psi all the time - pavement or dirt. But he was not commuting, mainly just riding pavement to get to dirt. The other side of the coin of improved traction that lower pressure gives you in the dirt is shorter tire life on pavement. He was willing to make that trade.

Search around on the site there have been a number of threads on tire pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ackme View Post
    Nice pics! looks like a great ride. you must be hitting prime riding weather down there. (It's winter this week in Denver- 2 straight days of clouds rain/snow )

I run 36f/42r on the street. Mostly commuter miles. If I am doing an extended day on dirt I will drop to 24f/28r. I don't know that there is anything magical about those levels. I do notice the difference but it is also high enough that I don't worry about the tire slipping on the rim or losing pressure altogether. If it is just a couple of miles on a mostly pavement ride I don't bother.

Dropping the pressure will certainly improve your traction in dirt as the tire contact patch will expand and conform more to the surface. I imagine that is true even with 100% street tires like the Conti's.

I did do a training class a few years ago where the instructor, who rode a big GS, said he left his pressure at around 26 psi all the time - pavement or dirt. But he was not commuting, mainly just riding pavement to get to dirt. The other side of the coin of improved traction that lower pressure gives you in the dirt is shorter tire life on pavement. He was willing to make that trade.

Search around on the site there have been a number of threads on tire pressure.
    Thanks for the advise, I commute so I keep mine at 36f/38r on pavement. I do carry a small air compressor in the frunk and it definitely helped.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Ditto! Yah, what he said! I too run mine 36f/40-42r for street, commuting, touring. When i ride on dirt i'll usually leave them alone until i start hitting a lot of gravel, then i'll drop the pressure to
    24-26f/30-34r depending on my load. It seems to make a big difference to me in handling. Then once back to pavement i use the little Slime pump to air them both back up. Makes for an enjoyable day!
    :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!