Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a California to Alaska trip

Bike: 2012 NC700X

Thinking of a California to Alaska trip

It wouldn't be for a year or two so no rush on anything but I'm curious of routes and destinations.

I've read more then a few people post about previous rides up to Alaska but very little details. I've lived up and down the west coast but never been to Alaska.

Weigh in please

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700X
    Iíve been all over the west coast in a car and have been thinking about it down the road but from what I read, it costs so much more than going down to Baja or even flying to Asia and scootering around. Itís something I want to do but just not that high on my priority list. Planning to go down to Baja towards end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Quote Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
    Iíve been all over the west coast in a car and have been thinking about it down the road but from what I read, it costs so much more than going down to Baja or even flying to Asia and scootering around. Itís something I want to do but just not that high on my priority list. Planning to go down to Baja towards end of the year.

I've thought about that, Baja is closer so I might go down to Baja first but I'm not a fan of the heat, so I'm not keen on going during the summer. What's the expensive cost in going to Alaska?
    Last edited by rippin209; 27th June 2018 at 20:04.

Bike: NC700X
    From what Iíve read assuming you have every gear already purchased, you are looking at about 30 days and costs ranging $3000 -$5000. Guess it can be much cheaper if you camp more.

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Gas is much more expensive in Canada. But the NC sips fuel. Camping would keep the cost down. The roads are much better these days. I would buy a DestinationHighway.com British Columbia book for the possible routes along the way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I have personally traveled the Alcan three times. The most recent was about 6 years ago and each time it has always been in a vehicle. I went to highschool in Alaska and have always wanted to make that trip on a motorcycle. My Dad still lives up in Fairbanks and has been there for about 40 years now. My eldest son and i are planning a trip as well ourselves in the late spring/early summer of 2019! I ride the NC and my son has the HD. We'll be leaving northern Idaho and heading up through Canada to Fairbanks. We have our schedule pretty well planned. We have allowed 7 days to make it to Fairbanks, spend several days there visiting and riding a few local areas, then 8 days to make the return trip back home. Our plan is to camp the majority of the time. Wishing you the very best in your travels! :{)
    Thinking of a California to Alaska trip-dad-michael-riding-lunch-june-11th-2018-jpg
    Last edited by Rapturee; 27th June 2018 at 20:47. Reason: added pic
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member Thinking of a California to Alaska trip
    Thinking of a California to Alaska trip

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT, 2005 R1150R, 2011 R1200GS
    my younger brother did Utah>Fairbanks a few years ago. one thing he did ahead of time was the purchase of a rear tire - which he had shipped to a location on his route so it was waiting for him when he needed it. lots of those gravel roads will eat up tires faster than our normal commuting.
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Good point Oly. I planned on and should have mentioned, that i'll be installing a new front and new rear tire on mine prior to departure. Cheap insurance, always been a fan of controlling the cost while you can! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

I'm at 76,700 now and mileage would be over 100,000 by the time I go.

I'd replace the clutch, clutch and throttle cable, recent fluid change and new brake pads and tires before hitting the road.

While lubing the cables I noticed one of them has a few strands that broke at one of the anchor points, so it wouldn't be a complete waste and I'd attach the old cables with zip ties for a back up

Quote Originally Posted by Olythom View Post
    my younger brother did Utah>Fairbanks a few years ago. one thing he did ahead of time was the purchase of a rear tire - which he had shipped to a location on his route so it was waiting for him when he needed it. lots of those gravel roads will eat up tires faster than our normal commuting.
    I think a trip to Alaska is a pretty short trip to get a tire on the way. Either your brother didn't have much litre in his current tire or I'm really underestimating how abrasive the gravel is on the road to Alaska