Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st

Bike: 2014 NC750x

Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st

The best places to view it are here:
    https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com...laces-to-view/

For me, coming from Ontario, Canada, my best destination would likely be around Illinois.

Anyone want to go and have a meetup somewhere?

Also looking for a corner of a room, a couch or a manger in the barn to crash on if anyone lives around a good viewing spot.

I am hoping to spend a few days around the area as well as the trip down and up again.
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." - Douglas Adams

--== Please see my profile "About Me" section for a summary of my bike's mods and customizations ==--

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Southern Illinois viewing will be prime. Cabins have been rumored to be booked over a year in advance, campgrounds i don't know but i imagine they are getting scarce too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st
    Bike: 2016 CRF1000LD, 2013 CRF250L, 2007 CRF230F, 2000 XR200R, 1972 CT90, 2002 TRX350
    Weather permitting I'm going to ride up to one of the higher elevatio pull off's on the "Cherohala" Scenic Highway in Tennessee/North Carolina to see it!! My guess is that those pull-off's will be crowded!!

Bike: NC700X
    Would be nice to see from a tent under the starts.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    Living in Oklahoma my plan is to go to central Missouri.

Super Moderator Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    I decided to take August 21 off work and ride to southern Illinois to see the eclipse! It's a day trip for me, so lodging is not an issue. If anyone else is going to be in southern IL that day, post up.

If I get an early start I could even stop at Moonshine Store and get a Moonburger on the way to see the sun disappear because of the moon!
    Last edited by 670cc; 2nd May 2017 at 21:06.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I'm probably headed to somewhere near Chester,il. Close to home and should be good viewing. Best will be a little southwest of Carbondale.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Looks like the eclipse totality passes over our North Carolina stomping grounds at KSL, the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc. It sure would be good time for a meet up, except for the August heat.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

#1 Elite Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st
    Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st
    Bike: NC-less
    Since the eclipse is about 1PM in the peak duration area (around Land Between the Lakes) there is no need to pay the high prices to stay close. Once could stay within a couple hundred miles and drive in that morning. Be sure to fetch some glasses or someone with eyes will have to drive you home...

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - The best prices you'll find on CERTIFIED SAFE Eclipse Glasses!
    Motorcycle don't lie!

Senior Member Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerphile View Post
    Since the eclipse is about 1PM in the peak duration area (around Land Between the Lakes) there is no need to pay the high prices to stay close. Once could stay within a couple hundred miles and drive in that morning. Be sure to fetch some glasses or someone with eyes will have to drive you home...

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - The best prices you'll find on CERTIFIED SAFE Eclipse Glasses!
    Yep, a person can stay in Louisville, Bowling Green, Paducah Ky and be there in a couple of hours to LBL; Nashvile Tn is about 2.5 (rough guess), maybe closer. Even Cave City Ky has hotels and 2-2.5 hour ride to LBL. Mammoth Cave State Park is at Cave City-one could camp at Mammoth Cave, explore the caves, and then ride over to LBL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]