Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best economical rear tire for mostly on road use?

Bike: 2013 XD
    Quote Originally Posted by JimbosToys View Post
    I have good experience/results changing dirt bike knobbies on wire spoke wheels. But a little afraid of our cast wheels so been using a bike shop. Pricey at $50 (carry-in) a pop for tires that don't last long for me (I get 4000 miles on rears and 8000 on front due to squaring - plenty of side rubber left for my less aggressive old fart riding style). Plus going there and standing around - might as well do it meself!
    Can I do this? Don't want to invest in a pricey changer.
    Will two tires spoons like these:

2x Spoon Type Tire Lever Iron set of 2 Hand Tool for Motorcycle Bicycle ATV 10'' | eBay

work and not damage the rim? Will milk jug plastic work ok to protect?
    Will a c-clamp break the bead ok?
    Is the harbor freight motorcycle changer
    ($32 with 20% off coupon) worth it? Do you have to buy the base unit?
    What goop is needed to seat the beads? Will liquid dishwashing soap suffice?
    Does the balancing really require more than a level shaft and patience?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jimbo
    IMO
    Did not want to spend the money on more tools to store. Sooo.....mounted a block on the wall and used 2x4s to break bead. (note to self. Don't forget to break both beads!).
    Needed proper rim protectors for sure. Minimum 3.
    Need to have longer tire tools, especially if older, like me. More leverage. Minimum of three!
    Have used Windex and dish soap. Windex is easier with spray but evaporates fast. Soap not so much. Maybe I am just slow these days.
    I did one by myself and dang it was hard. The other 5 I did with son helping. (or the other way around!) It is still HARD.
    The PR4s supposedly have harder center compound to help life of center of tire.
    Also remember if you are a "downshifter" you are burning the rear off by "skidding" each time. Even my DCT does it in sport mode. I guess it is just a bike thing.....

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    One more for the Shinko 009.

The rear on my Ninja lasted 13,000 miles. Never replaced the front and sold it with 19,000 on that tire...

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    In my own opinion, tires are not where to cut corners on when it comes to motorcycles. In a car, it is less of an issue - there's 4 of them. Personally, I want the best I can afford on the bike. So far, I have really enjoyed the feel I get with the Michelin Pilot Road series (I have had the 4's, but will be getting the 5's on my changes since the 4 was discontinued for out size.) Wet or dry, they have always felt really good to me, and have gotten decent mileage. Remember, the tires are the only safety equipment that actually touch the road.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
    In my own opinion, tires are not where to cut corners on when it comes to motorcycles. In a car, it is less of an issue - there's 4 of them. Personally, I want the best I can afford on the bike. So far, I have really enjoyed the feel I get with the Michelin Pilot Road series (I have had the 4's, but will be getting the 5's on my changes since the 4 was discontinued for out size.) Wet or dry, they have always felt really good to me, and have gotten decent mileage. Remember, the tires are the only safety equipment that actually touch the road.
    I agree with the motorcycle part but I'd add the car tires are more important then you make it sound.
    I've had great vehicles drive like crap because of cheap tires and I've had crap cars handle better then you'd expect on because of having good tires.
    Apparently the regulations on tires are lax, I've had egg shaped tires tires that are so unbalanced you couldn't fit enough weights to make it work.
    I don't buy the best tires I can for my cars or trucks but I avoid cheap crap also

Bike: NC700X
    My OEM Bridgestones were replaced at 15K miles. Could have gone a bit more, but the wear bars were gone. Never liked the front tire, brake locked easily with moisture on the road. Replaced with Shinkos which I hate with a passion because of noise. Considered replacing them mile one but was too cheap. At my current annual mileage, I'm stuck with them for several more years. I'll probably spring for Michelins next.

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    I agree with the motorcycle part but I'd add the car tires are more important then you make it sound.
    I've had great vehicles drive like crap because of cheap tires and I've had crap cars handle better then you'd expect on because of having good tires.
    Apparently the regulations on tires are lax, I've had egg shaped tires tires that are so unbalanced you couldn't fit enough weights to make it work.
    I don't buy the best tires I can for my cars or trucks but I avoid cheap crap also
    I dndt mean to downplay that car tires done make as much of a difference, it's just that it is much safer and easier to stop a car if a tire goes flat, than a bike.

I run top of the line Michelin All-weather on my car. Again, they are the only piece of safety gear that touches the road.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x