Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best economical rear tire for mostly on road use?

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by ddennis669 View Post
    Here is the mileage I have gotten from the rear tires I have used so far...
    For more data points, here are my tire records:

OEM Bridgestone BT-023 - 7,936 miles (admittedly could've done more miles, I just didn't like them )

PR3 Rear - 11,213 miles

PR3 Front - 15,467 miles

Pirelli Angel GT Rear - 6,849 miles

PR4 Rear - 10,680 miles

PR4 Front - 17,529 miles

Conti Motion Rear - 6,561 miles

trey

Senior Member Best economical rear tire for mostly on road use?
    Best economical rear tire for mostly on road use?
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    Here's my rear tire replacement list.
    Bridgestone BT-023 - 11,584.
    Michelin PR3- 10,716
    Michelin PR4- 9,771
    Michelin Commader 2 - 1,427 and counting.

Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    seem like the conti motion tire is the tire to have if you are willing/able to change your own tire. they seem to wear out sooner then other tires your guys are reporting.

Bike: Honda VFR 750, NC700X
    Fyi. Cupping is usually caused by under inflated tires.... Having said that under inflated is subject to your preference.... but lower pressures will cause cupping
    on NC700x, also have a VFR 750

Bike: NC700X
    Well I bite the bullet and ordered a set of Michelin PR4s today. I figured steel belt showing through was a sign it was time.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Bike: 2013 NC700X

Cool Search for the Most Economical Tire Continues.

Quote Originally Posted by netizen View Post
    Fyi. Cupping is usually caused by under inflated tires.... Having said that under inflated is subject to your preference.... but lower pressures will cause cupping
    Yeah I'm pretty familiar with it. My 250 Ninja would cup front tires at anything shy of 45 psi. I did manage 16,000 miles out of a front Avon Roadrider though, so I can get right every now and then.

I ran 42 psi consistently in the rear Conti as I had on the stock Metzler, a Full Bore, and 2 Shinko Ravens. Not enough air for my 230 pounds I guess on this tire. Might explain why the ride felt so delightful for 3000 miles. My front Conti Motion developed a leak so instead of replacing the rear with another Conti as I had plannned, I took them both off yesterday with 4886 miles and installed a pair of Shinko Advance 005s. Clearly the Contis are a tire that works very well for a lot of people. For me, they didn't significantly better than the other tires I have used, so off to try .......

SOME OTHER CHEAP TIRES
    Almost as cheap as the Contis or Ravens, the Shinko Advance 005s cost $156 delivered. I ordered them from AmericanMotoTire.com in Tucson on Sunday night and they were on my front porch at 11 AM Tuesday.

They mounted and balanced up well. (Seated at 15 psi BTW. Is every one using No-Mar tire paste?) Put 300 miles on them Wednesday riding over to the Central Valley and back to the coast. 120 miles of highway mixed up with 180 miles of windy mountain roads. They felt good. Maybe not as responsive as the Contis, yet quicker and more supple than Ravens.

Shinko claims they are an intermediate tread. Will see how long these last.

#1 Elite Best economical rear tire for mostly on road use?
    Bike: NC-less
    I think the cheapest tires are the ones that are most likely to keep me from scuffing up the shiny bits or testing my medical insurance. For me, that is looking like Pilot Road 4's. High mileage, but high cost. On dry streets I don't ride aggressively enough to tell the good ones apart, but I find a significant difference in the wet. The cost difference is only about $4 per month vs. inexpensive tires. I'll gladly pay it.

(and yes, I am a huge fan of No-Mar paste. My large bottle of RuGlyde hasn't been opened since)

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    I have a set of RoadSmart II's out in the shop as my next set of tires. I got them at a decent price and their reviews (and design strategy / sales brochures) point towards high mileage. If the reviewers are right, they should turn out to be an economical commuter tire. My stock tires are just about done (4600 miles) so I will be starting a live tire test in the next couple of months.

Has anyone run them on an NC yet?

Bike: NC700X
    One of the features of being short, fat, and ugly is that I wear out any brand of rear tire at about 8,000 miles. Never found an answer to this problem. Price does not seem to distinguish one tire from the other, 8,000 miles and the rear tire is gone.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Best economical rear tire for mostly on road use? Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    One of the features of being short, fat, and ugly is that I wear out any brand of rear tire at about 8,000 miles. Never found an answer to this problem. Price does not seem to distinguish one tire from the other, 8,000 miles and the rear tire is gone.
    Maybe it is the "ugly" part. I'm not short or fat and my tires don't last any longer.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT