Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire repair, what's the best method?

Bike: NC 700X

Tire repair, what's the best method?

This is a puncture I had some time ago, and repaired it in the shop.

Because I am not so experienced with punctures, I had a long talk with the mechanic about different ways to repair it and what is the most reliable.

Because I live in Africa and here reliability is a must, I would like to ear some inputs from forum users.

Back to the point, would you repair it with the inside patch, or with the rubber band applied from the outside (sorry do not know the name in english, is like a rubber plug)?
    Attached Images Attached Images Tire repair, what's the best method?-uploadfromtaptalk1422860555813-jpg 
    NC700X, Givi (rear rack, topcase E370, crash bars, V35 side panniers with white cover, side stand extension and touring screen), Honda center stand, Puig adjustable brake & clutch lever, Arrow exhaust, R&G radiator guard, SW Motech skid plate

Senior Member Tire repair, what's the best method?
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System | Ride-On - Ride-On

I think a plug is what you are referring to as a rubber band. I use Ride-On in my motorcycle tires because I want to make it home without problems.
    I also use a similar product in my ATV,lawnmower, log splitter and trailer tires because I don't have the time to spend repairing tires.
    I'm sure some will disagree with me, but this has worked for me for many years.
    That tire looks like it is long in tooth to me and I would plug it myself with a dose of Ride-On.
    Ymmv

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    This is one of those never ending questions. I think everyone would agree the safest and most reliable solution is a patch applied to the inside of the tire, assuming the puncture was not too large. A properly applied patch will last for the life of the tire.

The debate will be whether you should use a tire plug. Opinions will vary from "never", to "only for emergencies", to "it's fine for a permanent repair". To further complicate things, those who use plugs will argue over which type is best.

A lot of people like the Ride-On sealant that turbodieseli4i6 posted above. This too is a highly debated topic as some people believe liquid sealants should not be used inside the tire.

I hope this was helpful.

Senior Member Tire repair, what's the best method? Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, MP3 400
    Inside patch is best repair. If concerned with being stranded by a flat install some Ride On and carry a plug kit.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Super Moderator Tire repair, what's the best method? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    I use the Stop and Go tire repair kit Amazon.com: Stop & Go International Pocket Tire Plugger for Tubeless Tires 1000: Automotive for the emergency roadside repair, then repair it permanently by dismountinting the tire and installing a Stop and Go plug patch. Amazon.com: Stop & Go International Patch/Plugs (6 pack) and Rubber Cement 3002: Automotive.

A puncture safe to repair (in my opinion) is one near the center third of the tread, and is a simple small round hole. I would have 100% confidence in repairing the puncture you show using the Plug Patch, then installing Ride-On sealant as a secondary measure. My current rear tire is patched this way, and I've ridden 8000 miles on it. The tire I'm going to mount next already has a Plug Patch in it, too.

Tire repair, what's the best method?-image-jpg
    Last edited by 670cc; 2nd February 2015 at 06:09.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Commuter Extraordinaire Tire repair, what's the best method?
    Bike: NC700X
    Like said above, everyone will have a different opinion. I ran over a nail a while back. I carry a tire repair kit on the bike (gummy worms). I removed the nail and installed the worm. This was on a PR4 that still had lots of life. The nail was in the exact same area as your screw. I ran that tire for another 4,000 miles. It never leaked one bit of air. I may have been lucky or stupid but I let it ride that way until the tires needed to be replaced.

Having said that, I agree that an inside patch is the best method. I was lazy and do not have the tools to do tire changes.

Senior Member Tire repair, what's the best method? Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750XA Yamaha FZ1
    Take it from a guy that owns a tire repair shop, is an auto tech and rides. The only proper way to repair a tire is from the inside. Vulcanizing the tire is the best method followed by a hot patch then a roll on patch. Over time plugs can leak and fall out and throwing a plug in does not give you a chance to inspect a tire for damage on the inside and too make sure whatever went through is still not rolling around on the inside.
    Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 2nd February 2015 at 06:46.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Bike: Honda NC700
    Worm to get me where I need to go (not far) and then an internal patch/plug.

Put Ride-On in your tires to begin with, and you will not have those flats. Plus your tires will always be balanced.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Plugs and ride-on are intended for emergency road side repair, just depends on how much u value your arse on how long u ride on that plugged tire after that. I like to ride fast and long rides so a piece of rubber worm or a rim full of slime does not cut it for me. I've lost air at speed before and do not want that experiance again. That tire costs a lot less than even just a few pieces of plastic you'll loose on even a slow get off let alone what perhaps happens too u. Just my opinion. Ride safe.