Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinko Raven

Bike: 2013 NC700X

Shinko Raven

Since I tend to get less mileage out of tires than the average posting I read, it is a significant cost in money and time when it comes to tires.The stock Metzlers lasted 5206 miles for me and they should have been replaced 200 miles sooner. I rode my NC700 over 21000 miles this year. 5000 mile tires don't work for me.

Based on this description from American Moto Tire's website I decided to try a set of Ravens:

SHINKO RAVEN 160/60ZR-17 M/C 69W, REAR [87-4045]
    Price: $88.34

SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO MEET THE DEMAND FOR LONG LIFE AS WELL AS HIGH PERFORMANCE
    PROVIDES SUPERIOR RIDING COMFORT, WHILE THE TREAD PATTERN GIVES HIGH GRIP ON BOTH WET AND DRY ROADS
    W-SPEED RATED FOR SPEEDS UP TO 168 MPH
    ARAMID BELTED, DOT APPROVED
    LONGEST TREAD LIFE OF SHINKO'S SPORT PERFORMANCE RADIAL LINE

I used one rear for a trip from California to the Black Hills and Vancouver in June and replaced it for a trip in July to DC and Michigan. The front has stayed on.

The first rear had 5027 miles on it when I replaced it and tread depth to the Tread Wear Indicators was 0.10" (new TWI depth was 0.23"). My second Raven rear went on for the trip east and just came off after 9120 miles (TWI depth was at 0.01"). The Raven front remains on with 15283 miles and TWI depth of 0.10" (having been installed a little ahead of the first rear). I reinstalled the first Raven and hope to obtain an additional 4000 mile of use.

The Raven front tire should exceed my best wear of any brand I have used on other bikes. However, it does have a center tread groove and it results in a "shimmy" of the front end when riding rain grooves. I am OK at just staying loose and letting it do its thing most of the time, but when I crossed the Mackinaw bridge with its steel grates in a downpour, I had to slow way down.

Generally happy with them at this point, but I do have a set of Conti Motions waiting for the next mounting.

Bike: Three red 2013 Hondas: CRF250L, NC700x, NC700x DCT.
    Having crossed the Mackinac hundreds of time in every weather... Slowing is ALWAYS a good thing. It's smart in problem weather and worth the time to enjoy the stunning view in great weather. I never get tired of that five mile stretch. ;-)
    I bought a Raven rear as my next tire. I have a while to go still on my current tire.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by PadrePoint; 5th October 2014 at 20:35.

Senior Member Shinko Raven StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    I usually get 12K out of the Continental Motion Tires. They are, in my experience, an extremely good value.

HERE is a post about the last set I had and some number to support my claim.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    I usually get 12K out of the Continental Motion Tires. They are, in my experience, an extremely good value.
    Having used many motorcycle tires over the years, I have to agree the Continental Motion tires are one of the best values in the motorcycle industry.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

HERE is a post about the last set I had and some number to support my claim.
    Thanks for the info on the Contis. I often get two rears to one front. It looks like you changed the front and rear as a set?

The set of Contis I just received cost $138 shipped to my door. I have to mount and balance them myself, but it lets me "bond" with the bike and I save money. If my luck holds I won't need to put them on until spring, but as I depend on the nike for commuting, I usually keep tires, chain & sprockets, brake pads on hand. The Contis sure look nice too!

The Shinkos do seem to last pretty well and cost me $169.59.

Commuter Extraordinaire Shinko Raven
    Shinko Raven
    I'm going to have to decide real soon which tire I'm going to choose to replace my rear PR4. I'm sitting at 10K now but it won't be long. This is the first I've heard of the Raven. Time to do some research. Thanks for brining this up.

Bike: Silver 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantChuck View Post
    I'm going to have to decide real soon which tire I'm going to choose to replace my rear PR4. I'm sitting at 10K now but it won't be long. This is the first I've heard of the Raven. Time to do some research. Thanks for brining this up.
    Interesting, my PR4s have 4k on them now and I'll be damned if I see any wear at all on the rear, they must got downhill fast.

Commuter Extraordinaire Shinko Raven
    Shinko Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by OldJeff View Post
    Interesting, my PR4s have 4k on them now and I'll be damned if I see any wear at all on the rear, they must got downhill fast.
    You are correct. At about 7K they start to show. I'm not at the wear bar yet but I will be soon. I'm looking to try something different after these just for the heck of it. See what works best on the Arkansas roads. I thought I had narrowed it down to the Contis but goign to do some research on the Ravens.

Senior Member Shinko Raven StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Quote Originally Posted by OldJeff View Post
    I've only had one set of PRs (3s), but they wore the longest. Great tire.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

I've only had one set of PRs (3s), but they wore the longest. Great tire.
    I could use some perspective on your tire mileage. I stretched 5000 out of the stock Metzler and got a a solid 9000 from the Shinko Ravens. What did you get from the stock Metzlers versus the Michelins?

(On my 250 Ninja over 76,000 miles I found the cheapest tire per mile was a somewhat expensive Metzler ME880 plus I didn't need to change it as often! That tire had some deep tread.)