Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts on tire changing

Super Moderator Random thoughts on tire changing 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50

Random thoughts on tire changing

Today I expanded my tire mounting skills by mounting tires on 17” alloy minivan wheels. I used the same machine I use for motorcycle wheels (modified Harbor Freight tire changer), so as not scratch the rims. My findings are that car tires, at least higher profile ones, are super easy to mount.

Random thoughts on tire changing-7682044e-b1c4-4436-9620-644897ed97f0-jpg

Slightly more difficult are trailer tires. The job is the same as a car tire, with the added challenge of seating the bead of a tire shipped from overseas squished flat as a pancake stacked. I had to get a bead blaster air tank. It empties a five gallon 100 psi air tank in a couple seconds to inflate the tire. Even after seeing videos, I still had no faith that the bead blaster would work to inflate the tire and pop the beads on the rims, but by golly it did.

Random thoughts on tire changing-14fa7fd1-da62-473d-aa0c-0df14625a407-jpg
    Random thoughts on tire changing-05639dd3-a4e8-48ca-920e-f9790168747d-jpg

Next up in increasing difficulty is your average motorcycle tire on a 17-19 inch rim. These go on pretty easy, but you have to fiddle more with getting the opposite side bead down in the well so you can lever the tire on to the rim.

Next higher difficulty is scooter tires on 10-12 inch rims. Those little guys are tough to mount, and sometimes I just need to resort to kneeling on them and fighting them with tire levers because the rims are too small to mount on the tire machine. I changed a 10 inch Ruckus tire last week and it was a challenge.

The ultimate tire change difficulty is the Goldwing 1800 front rim, with the rear wheel coming in a close second. The tires are stiff because of the load they carry. Mounting the Goldwing tire is about muscle, but not entirely about muscle. It’s more like a strategy game to see where you need to add lube and where you need to add tools and blocks to push the stiff opposite bead down to the center of the well. You solve the puzzle, and only then does the tire go on the rim.

If you can master a Goldwing front tire change, you can change about any tire. Could I pay someone else to mount my tires? Sure. But I save a few bucks, and I enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself. I get to buy discounted tires on line. My wheels don’t get all torn up from careless people handling them, and with motorcycle tires, it takes less time to do it myself than driving to town to get it done at the motorcycle shop.
    Last edited by 670cc; 9th October 2019 at 19:54.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Random thoughts on tire changing
    Random thoughts on tire changing
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Nice. Nothing like a good night’s sleep when you know the job was done right and nothing got screwed up along the way!

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Tires......

670cc,

Has anyone ever tried just using a big C-clamp to break the bead on a tire?

Slo_Rider

Super Moderator Random thoughts on tire changing 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo_Rider View Post
    670cc,

Has anyone ever tried just using a big C-clamp to break the bead on a tire?

Slo_Rider
    I did so back in the 1990s, but using a clamp can scratch rims if it slips. You need to have the clamp right next to the rim for it to work, and it tends to slide toward the rim.

I use a Harbor Freight bead breaker as shown in the photo below. It has never failed to break the bead on any wheel that I’ve thrown at it. It costs about $44 if you use a coupon.

Random thoughts on tire changing-6e0989fb-4259-45a7-9138-ff5fcccfa87d-jpg
    Last edited by 670cc; 9th October 2019 at 20:10.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    I went the Nomar route. I would agree the Goldwing tires are toughest to do. Interesting thing though is that I find that the rear tire is tougher! Getting the underneath bead in the rim valley is key as you said. I use three 1/2" blocks and some big Nomar tire irons. Before tackling a wing tire I usually go watch their video on wing tires 3 or 4 times.
    I too have found out that I can change a tire or two in the time it takes to go to the dealer and wait then go back home.
    Cheers,
    Guy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Random thoughts on tire changing New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    I used to work as a tire tech changing out car and light truck tires. Very easy work most of the time because we had great equipment. Changing the tire on my bike was a bit more challenging. I felt like I was channeling the way my Dad used to change tires on his pickup. I distinctly remember him breaking the bead by running over the tire with the truck.

The only problem that I really ran into with my cheap equipment was that I failed to put the tire on in the right direction the first time. The only thing more difficult that getting a broken down, old tire off the rim is getting a brand new one off.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    I used to work as a tire tech changing out car and light truck tires. Very easy work most of the time because we had great equipment. Changing the tire on my bike was a bit more challenging. I felt like I was channeling the way my Dad used to change tires on his pickup. I distinctly remember him breaking the bead by running over the tire with the truck.

The only problem that I really ran into with my cheap equipment was that I failed to put the tire on in the right direction the first time. The only thing more difficult that getting a broken down, old tire off the rim is getting a brand new one off.
    Random thoughts on tire changing I did the same thing, got my new tire changer, I already had the tires just waiting for it, installed the rear with no problems, I double checked to make sure that wouldn't install the tire wrong direction and some how I still didRandom thoughts on tire changing brand new tire on the front had to take it off just to put it back on

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Greg, did you try a ratchet strap around the tire in order to get the bead to seat and take air? Had to do that many times in the woods on rock crawlers. Nothing worse than a giant tire breaking off the rim in nasty terrain, usually wet or muddy, and trying to get the bead to seat to take air. Ratchet strap around the whole tire will cinch down and push the sidewalls out toward the wheel lips.

But a bead blaster will work too! Always thought those things were a little hairy to use Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Also, not sure what sort of tire tooling you use to change tires with the Harbor Freight changer, but that No-Mar tire bar is a pretty nifty unit and may make your life easier if you don't already use something comparable to it. It can be bought separately on their website.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    Greg, did you try a ratchet strap around the tire in order to get the bead to seat and take air? Had to do that many times in the woods on rock crawlers. Nothing worse than a giant tire breaking off the rim in nasty terrain, usually wet or muddy, and trying to get the bead to seat to take air. Ratchet strap around the whole tire will cinch down and push the sidewalls out toward the wheel lips.

But a bead blaster will work too! Always thought those things were a little hairy to use Lol.

Almost always have to use a ratchet strap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk