Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random thoughts on tire changing

Super Moderator Random thoughts on tire changing 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    Greg, did you try a ratchet strap around the tire in order to get the bead to seat and take air? Had to do that many times in the woods on rock crawlers. Nothing worse than a giant tire breaking off the rim in nasty terrain, usually wet or muddy, and trying to get the bead to seat to take air. Ratchet strap around the whole tire will cinch down and push the sidewalls out toward the wheel lips.

But a bead blaster will work too! Always thought those things were a little hairy to use Lol.
    Oh, yes, I tried the ratchet strap on the limp trailer tire. Tried putting wood blocks in the tire for days hoping it would hold shape. Soon as I put the tire back on the rim, it fell flat, nowhere close to the bead. I must have remounted the tire 6-8 times, which was really easy. Finally, I had an open chuck feeding air in the valve from an air compressor, hit the gap in the tire/rim with the bead blaster thing, and seated it first try. I was amazed.
    Last edited by 670cc; 10th October 2019 at 18:32.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Super Moderator Random thoughts on tire changing 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Also, not sure what sort of tire tooling you use to change tires with the Harbor Freight changer, but that No-Mar tire bar is a pretty nifty unit and may make your life easier if you don't already use something comparable to it. It can be bought separately on their website.
    I use a MojoLever. Works great.

I also use the Yellow Thing from No-Mar, their tire mounting lube, as well as their bead clamp.

I saw somewhere there is a third bar type/brand available out there that looked nice but I forgot the name of it.
    Last edited by 670cc; 10th October 2019 at 18:21.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I grew up in tire shops that older family members all owned and learned to do/change tires at a young age. I learned many tricks from the old guys on how to get the tire-beads to all seat properly/easily. Then as i got bigger i was moved into the 18-wheeler shop. Oh man those tires were huge/heavy. I still remember when the Super-Singles first came out/became popular, shortly afterwards that's when i found myself with a triple hernia. Man that Doctor field dressed me like a deer! :{P
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Funny story. Was in a hurry working on bike before work. Was gonna try to change rear tire before work. In my haste, removed old tire from rim, pushed on first bead of new tire, started using the mounting bar to finish putting the tire on, got really tight, had 3/4 of it on and couldn't go any further. Bar slipped out twice, once mashing the piss out of my finger. I stood there scratching my head....finally realized I forgot to spray on some lube! Lol. Sprayed on some lube, she slipped right on!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing. 2015 Airbag Goldwing, some kid
    Funny story. Was in a hurry working on bike before work. Was gonna try to change rear tire before work. In my haste, removed old tire from rim, pushed on first bead of new tire, started using the mounting bar to finish putting the tire on, got really tight, had 3/4 of it on and couldn't go any further. Bar slipped out twice, once mashing the piss out of my finger. I stood there scratching my head....finally realized I forgot to spray on some lube! Lol. Sprayed on some lube, she slipped right on!

Just to ease the pain of the finger... been there done that!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wiseguy2 View Post
    Just to ease the pain of the finger... been there done that!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Boy it sure is sore! And I've hit it on about 50 things between then and now. Hard to work without knocking it into something Lol.