Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Front tire wobbling on 35 mph?

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Afan View Post
    I did it and didn't see any improvements.
    Here is the video how it looks. Because if the camera angle it doesn't look like it's a lot of wobbling. But, actually, it's a bit worse than it looks like.
    I'll try to upload video to Google Drive, so you can see it better.

I bought the tire online, from americanmototire.com. And the local bike shop installed it. Should I first go to the shop, they can check and confirm the tire is off? Anybody has an experience with the returning a tire?
    Shinko isn't known for being top quality like some other brands. That's not to say that it's a bad tire, you may just have to deal with something like that when running cheap tires, but others that run the same tire seem to have good reviews on it.

Also, in my experience it is not uncommon for dealers to half arse balance tires you didn't buy from them, either bc they don't care, or they want to be able to say "well you bought it on the internet, we can't guarantee quality of anything bought on the internet" because they want you to buy from them.

Either way, as far as balancing is concerned, if you feel like spending $35, buy a balancing stand on Ebay and watch a YouTube video on how to balance a motorcycle tire. If its off you can fix it. Also have to buy some 1/4 oz weights on ebay for a few dollars.

If it wasn't shaking at that speed before and now it is, it can only be either the tire or the balancing of said tire. I don't think it would be the balancing, or you would feel it vibrate at higher speeds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Front tire wobbling on 35 mph? Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Afan, may i ask how much weight they used to balance that tire if any? I have the identical tire on my front and have no wobble at any speed cruising/decelerating. Hmm... perplexing it is. (my thought was to try removing the weight used and run it without any balance weight(then reinstall the weight if necessary). :{P
    2 x 21g

Front tire wobbling on 35 mph?-20190915_093744_1024-jpg

Front tire wobbling on 35 mph?-20190915_093807_1024-jpg

Actually, not bad idea!
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Quote Originally Posted by showkey View Post
    Have the dealer install the old tire, see what happens .........you would not be the first person to discover the old tire did the same hands off shake.........you just didnít notice it...
    That's not my case because I very often let go the handlebar off to see how my bike behave. The main reason is that's how you will find the front tire started cupping. Not on high speeds, only at 30-35 mph.
    Also, if it was wobbling before I would not notice it now. Since I noticed - it wasn't happening before.

When you buy new shoes, do the new ones feel identical as old ones?

...you just didnít notice it. Also once itís found or noticed ...........itís almost impossible to forget or accept...
    This sounds more as psychoanalysis

... Since you did not buy the tire at the installing shop.............that puts the shop is very tough position. It will be interesting to see their response. Same with the online seller. Itís also the obvious reason shop often refuse to install customer supplied tires...
    That's correct. Agree. That's what am I afraid off...

Cycle world article on the topic
    Why Do Motorcycles Wobble And Weave? | Cycle World...
    The videos are a bit old, and I'm pretty sure the technology improved a bit. I never had wobbling without the reason, deflated or cupped tires. Weaving - never happened, not crazy about riding fast...

Does anybody else with (new?!?) Shinko tires have/had the same issue? In case it's the Shinko thing...

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    Shinko isn't known for being top quality like some other brands. That's not to say that it's a bad tire, you may just have to deal with something like that when running cheap tires, but others that run the same tire seem to have good reviews on it.
    Yes, agree. If this is a Shinko thing, then I'm ok - no worries.
    But never read anything about this when I was reading (a lot) about which "off-road" (90/10 or 80/20) tires to buy. To me it looks like there is a reason why is this happening, not motorcycle "anatomy".

... Also, in my experience it is not uncommon for dealers to half arse balance tires you didn't buy from them, either bc they don't care, or they want to be able to say "well you bought it on the internet, we can't guarantee quality of anything bought on the internet" because they want you to buy from them...
    !#$1*%#[email protected]#%!!#[email protected]!

... Either way, as far as balancing is concerned, if you feel like spending $35, buy a balancing stand on Ebay and watch a YouTube video on how to balance a motorcycle tire. If its off you can fix it. Also have to buy some 1/4 oz weights on ebay for a few dollars...
    I was thinking for a while to invest in tire changer and the balancing stand. At least, if something's wrong I know I did it...
    Last edited by Afan; 15th September 2019 at 14:21.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Neither my Pilot Road 5's or my Dunlop Q3+'s have made the handlebars shake at any speed. I let go like you do sometimes, especially on longer trips. Yours didn't do it before, so it has to be something with the front tire. Nothing else changed. Balancing shouldn't be the issue. And 6 1/4 oz weights isn't bad, it took 8 1/4 oz weights to balance my rear tire the other night when I flipped it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Front tire wobbling on 35 mph?
    Front tire wobbling on 35 mph?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    AFAN have you checked the run-out of the front wheel? Could they have bent the rim ever so slightly?

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by Afan View Post
    That's not my case because I very often let go the handlebar off to see how my bike behave. The main reason is that's how you will find the front tire started cupping. Not on high speeds, only at 30-35 mph.
    Also, if it was wobbling before I would not notice it now. Since I noticed - it wasn't happening before.

When you buy new shoes, do the new ones feel identical as old ones?

This sounds more as psychoanalysis

No.........just exposed to 100’s of different bikes and dealing with the riders over a long period of time.

That's correct. Agree. That's what am I afraid off...

The videos are a bit old, and I'm pretty sure the technology improved a bit. I never had wobbling without the reason, deflated or cupped tires. Weaving - never happened, not crazy about riding fast...

Does anybody else with (new?!?) Shinko tires have/had the same issue? In case it's the Shinko thing...
    My Shinko 705 ( front and rear) on my NC does not shake, but it does have some what of a “snow tire effect” and speeds below 40mph.

The video is old .......the article text is not. The physics and concept of a harmonic vibration at a certain frequency also has not changed with time. The point is this phenomenon is far more common than most people think.
    Last edited by showkey; 15th September 2019 at 17:55.

Super Moderator Front tire wobbling on 35 mph? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I’m commenting just for the sake of adding another data point. I have owned only one set of Shinko 705s. They caused no shaking or wobbling. I bought them from AMT, and mounted and balanced them myself. Then I later remounted the same tires on a different NC, and balanced them again. They still ride smoothly with no wobble.
    Last edited by 670cc; 15th September 2019 at 18:02.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Iím commenting just for the sake of adding another data point. I have owned only one set of Shinko 705s. They caused no shaking or wobbling. I bought them from AMT, and mounted and balanced them myself. Then I later remounted the same tires on a different NC, and balanced them again. They still ride smoothly with no wobble.
    I can second that, I mounted my 705's at home and used balancing beads and no vibration issues, a bit meh at lower speeds, not as confidence inspiring as my PR4's were in corners (that could also be me after wrecking Front tire wobbling on 35 mph?) but no issues with vibrations at any speed and I've taken my hands of the bars at every speed from 75mph to as slow as 20mph, the simile to snow tires sounds accurate to me

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    AFAN have you checked the run-out of the front wheel? Could they have bent the rim ever so slightly?
    I don't know how much it's accurate, but just did it by leaning the flat screwdriver on the fork as best as I can, and as close as I can, and turning the front wheel. It looks good to me.

Although, the front wheel, when I'm rotating it, makes this noise/sound - see the video. I'm assuming it's the brake pads? is this OK?