Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recently watched "Can I get More GRIP from a Wider Motorcycle Tyre?"

Senior Member Recently watched "Can I get More GRIP from a Wider Motorcycle Tyre?" afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT

Recently watched "Can I get More GRIP from a Wider Motorcycle Tyre?"

Recently watched this video clip, "Can I get More GRIP from a Wider Motorcycle Tyre?". What's your thought on this matter?

Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Senior Member Recently watched "Can I get More GRIP from a Wider Motorcycle Tyre?"
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    My thoughts are that I don’t have enough experience and knowledge of the characteristics of different tire sizes on a motorcycle to make a judgement. I don’t think the author of this video does either. Therefore I’m going to stay with the tire size Honda recommended, on the assumption that they know more about tires than I do. The stock sizes work fine, and they are safe to ride on. Until they don’t/aren’t, I see no reason to change.
    my interpretation of this is that it was looking at a 150 vs a 170 when the stock 160 isn't available in the type of tire you want

there aren't many 80/20 160s available
    12 NC700X
    14 WR450F SM
    15 450/520XCF SM

Super Moderator Recently watched "Can I get More GRIP from a Wider Motorcycle Tyre?" 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    my interpretation of this is that it was looking at a 150 vs a 170 when the stock 160 isn't available in the type of tire you want

Good point. I didn’t pay enough attention as to why the author was considering a wider tire in the first place.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Recently watched "Can I get More GRIP from a Wider Motorcycle Tyre?" afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post

That's how I understood the video too.
    And, as an example, so often on this forum: Shinko 705.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Grip (traction) is primarily a function of weight, so _assuming_ both those sizes list our rims as appropriate and acceptable width, I don’t think it’ll make much difference in grip at all. I’d expect handling feel to be different.

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Wider Tire..........

afan,

Does it also unintentionally imply at the end that the wider tire is lower in height, and by inference, maybe an alternate choice for those of us who are shorter?

Slo_Rider

Bike: 750 XD, FLHTC, Can Am RT
    The best handling bike I even had was without a doubt a Ducati. Now the NC is no Duc, it was never meant to be. But the stock NC with stock tires is awful damn good. It will lean much further over, holding firm than most riders are willing or capable of pursuing.

Honda knows what they are doing when they screw together a motorcycle. Have for a long time. And they have done it more than anyone else at anytime ever.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    I agree with the assessment on the video for the reasons outlined. Fitting a larger profile tyre to the same rim has always been pointless on the road at least.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member Recently watched "Can I get More GRIP from a Wider Motorcycle Tyre?"
    Bike: '14 DCT
    The formula for friction is
    Friction=uN
    u is the coeficient of friction
    N is the normal force (weight pushing down)

Area plays no part what so ever. Don't worry about the width, physics is physics
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo_Rider View Post
    afan,

Does it also unintentionally imply at the end that the wider tire is lower in height, and by inference, maybe an alternate choice for those of us who are shorter?

Slo_Rider
    comparing a 150/70 and a 170/60, the former should be 25.3" tall and the latter 24.6" tall, so you'd lower the rear of the bike about 3/8" using the 150/70 rather than the 170/60, if both tires are true to size on the NC wheel (I don't know if they are).
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    The formula for friction is
    Friction=uN
    u is the coeficient of friction
    N is the normal force (weight pushing down)

Area plays no part what so ever. Don't worry about the width, physics is physics
    that's a basic formula that gets used, but in reality there are other factors that matter

they mostly play a role in determining u, so I'm not saying the formula is wrong, but if you think that contact patch size and shape don't matter you're mistaken.
    12 NC700X
    14 WR450F SM
    15 450/520XCF SM