Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I change my tires?

Bike: NC700X

Should I change my tires?

Sort of a newbie here... I bought my bike some 2500-3000 miles ago, and the former owner said he'd changed the less than 1000 milea before that. Should be of note that I live in a very hot country (with lots of sand/dust), riding 100% on road.

Reason I ask is because everytime I brake even remotely sudden, I get the sliding feeling I'm about to lose traction on my front tire. In addition, this is how I fell two recently - by panic braking due to a guy in front suddenly changing lanes (I fell at 40 mph, and my bike hit his rear whell when sliding).

This is causing me to lose confidence in my bike mostly due to not being able to rely on my front braking and front tire.

Pictures (first 3 are rear, last 3 are front tire):

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The tires are the same model as the Metzler stock tires.
    Last edited by VersusAllOdds; 5th May 2019 at 08:09.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Given your post above the answer is easy. Change the tyres and put on a good set. That way there is no longer doubt in your mind. Don't forget to put on a few miles before your first agressive braking though. I would not like the appearance of the tyres You have on either. That looks like old rubber to me.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member Should I change my tires? New Commuter700's Avatar
    That tire is dry rotted my friend. The previous owner may have only put that tire on 1000 miles before but the tire is at least 4 years old. You MUST change tires every 5 years, especially in a hot climate because they dry out and that reduces traction.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Super Moderator Should I change my tires? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    What is the date code on the tire sidewall? Assuming tires sold in your country use the same coding as the US, look for a 4 digit code, for example 2215, which would mean the tire was manufactured in the 22nd week of 2015. This will tell you the true age of the tire.

Is this bike kept outdoors in the sun all the time? From the cracking seen, the tires look unusually aged.

If you're sliding on sand, I don’t think any street tire is going to help you there, but if the tire rubber is old or has accelerated aging, new tires might help you on clean pavement.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    I agree. Those tires are dry and cracked. I would not ride on those tires.

Dry rubber has less traction on roads. Cracked rubber can fail and cause a flat while you ride.

JT

Senior Member Should I change my tires? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I go along with everyone else. Those tires need replacing. If I am not mistaken the tires are Metzeler Z8s which came on certain 2012 and 2013 models so the tires are 6 years or more old. Aside from the age it's apparent from cracking they are aging rapidly.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Should I change my tires?
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Practicing some emergency braking in a safe environment also sound like a good idea to me.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    I agree. Those tires are dry and cracked. I would not ride on those tires.

Dry rubber has less traction on roads. Cracked rubber can fail and cause a flat while you ride.

JT
    Obviously... how cracked is cracked? Not experienced at tires...

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    What is the date code on the tire sidewall? Assuming tires sold in your country use the same coding as the US, look for a 4 digit code, for example 2215, which would mean the tire was manufactured in the 22nd week of 2015. This will tell you the true age of the tire.

Is this bike kept outdoors in the sun all the time? From the cracking seen, the tires look unusually aged.

If you're sliding on sand, I don’t think any street tire is going to help you there, but if the tire rubber is old or has accelerated aging, new tires might help you on clean pavement.
    Who knows what their age is... I only have the word of a previous owner, who's long gone (from the country). The bike has been kept almost exclusively in the shade, never under the direct sun. However, it has been kept outside, and not indoors. The weather here is 4 months of spring, 4 months of hot summer, 4 months of very hot summer. So the air is definitely very hot, however I don't know how much it ruins the tires given that nobody rides here during the very hot summer...

Another thing of note, which is probably a considerable factor in the story is that bikes here are not ridden a lot... This is a 2012 bike and it only has like 16k miles on it... so I guess age is what gets you here, not the miles. This is true for all bikes here, because there's just no place to have an enjoyable bike ride (desert with straight, wide highways, no curves whatsoever).

I will check the tire age and get back with the result...

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Given your post above the answer is easy. Change the tyres and put on a good set. That way there is no longer doubt in your mind. Don't forget to put on a few miles before your first agressive braking though. I would not like the appearance of the tyres You have on either. That looks like old rubber to me.
    How important is it to put on miles before hard braking? How many miles?

I don't brake like that often, but the traffic is insane here, and you have idiots changing lanes all the time... the traffic is like this: you take the drivers from a funny video in India (no exaggeration), and put them in a very good traffic infrastructure. So in other words, good roads, terrible drivers. Not that easy not to panic brake from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    That tire is dry rotted my friend. The previous owner may have only put that tire on 1000 miles before but the tire is at least 4 years old. You MUST change tires every 5 years, especially in a hot climate because they dry out and that reduces traction.
    Not sure how it's old, however another poster suggested a method how to find out... will get back with info!

Quote Originally Posted by potter0o View Post
    Practicing some emergency braking in a safe environment also sound like a good idea to me.
    My idea as well. Gonna drill it on a straight road just outside my house.

Senior Member Should I change my tires?
    Should I change my tires?
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Many (most?) of the modern tires have the date code actually molded into the sidewall so it's not a "stamp." If you punch "date code for Metzler motorcycle tires?" into search, you should be able to find the info you need. The date is often hidden with other numbers/letters on the sidewall.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Rubber is supposed to be flexible without cracking. When it begins to crack, that means that the rubber is dry. Traction requires soft, flexible rubber.

Your tires have cracks across the entire surface. That is definitely too much.

JT