Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Should I change my tires?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Jt105's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    385
    Any tire protection would be a surface treatment. These are typically used on the sidewalls for cleaning and shine purposes.

    I would not put anything on the tread surface. It would likely make the tire slippery and reduce traction.

    People that own campers and RVs usually cover their tires to protect from the sunís damaging UV rays. Covering your bike sounds like a better option as it will protect the tires, seat, and everything else.

    JT

  2. #22
    Senior Member anglachel's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by VersusAllOdds View Post
    Is there anything that can be applied to take care of your tires while you're not riding? Something equivalent to a cream for your skin? Maybe I'm talking nonsense - applying any oil based compound would definitely not be good for tires - if you're planning to ride them... still had to ask
    You can put stuff on the sidewalls to help preserve the tires... but the tread is basically grinding against asphalt any time you ride, might as well be sanding anything you put on it right off.

    Otherwise general advice for storing anything probably applies.... Cool, Dry, out of direct sunlight.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    28
    Update:

    The place I'm getting tires at actually has Pilot Road 5... I guess newer is better than older, so I'm getting that at approx 340 USD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    Any tire protection would be a surface treatment. These are typically used on the sidewalls for cleaning and shine purposes.

    I would not put anything on the tread surface. It would likely make the tire slippery and reduce traction.

    People that own campers and RVs usually cover their tires to protect from the sunís damaging UV rays. Covering your bike sounds like a better option as it will protect the tires, seat, and everything else.

    JT
    Quote Originally Posted by anglachel View Post
    You can put stuff on the sidewalls to help preserve the tires... but the tread is basically grinding against asphalt any time you ride, might as well be sanding anything you put on it right off.

    Otherwise general advice for storing anything probably applies.... Cool, Dry, out of direct sunlight.
    Well the least I will do is keep it covered from sunlight. However temperatures during the summer can get pretty wild here, and there's 2-3 summer months that combine the high temperatures with high humidity... Unfortunately, there's no way for me to keep it indoors. The reason I was wondering if there's some kind of tire treatment is because I'll make a few month break.

    One of the ideas I have is to keep the old tires on during the summer, when I'm not gonna ride much anyway... however, I might want to give the bike a go once a week and I have zero confidence in them... dilemmas, dilemmas...

  4. #24
    Senior Member Jt105's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    385
    I think you will just have to accept that tires will need to be replaced sooner in your environment. Itís the cost of where we live.
    Some people burn the center out of tires because of flat straight roads. Some people fight rust and corrosion all over their bikes due to a rainy environment. Some only get to ride a few months each year due to snow and ice.

    It is what it is.

    Maybe there is indoor storage spaces you can rent?

    JT

  5. #25
    Member
    Bike: NC700S, Ninja 300
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    Some people burn the center out of tires because of flat straight roads. Some people fight rust and corrosion all over their bikes due to a rainy environment. Some only get to ride a few months each year due to snow and ice.
    And some people have to contend with all 3...

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,589
    I’m glad you’ve decided to replace those tires. They’re shot, in my opinion.

    A thought for why the old tires are so cracked: Perhaps the previous owner put used tires on, or perhaps they were new but had been in storage (without climate control?) for a few years.

  7. #27
    Senior Member drdubb's Avatar
    Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,651
    Those tires are toast. The above advice about tire date is important. When you buy new tires, check the dates. Don't let someone sell you old ones.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

  8. #28
    Member Jeffro's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Harlan, IA
    Posts
    40

    my first flat

    I checked mine and it looks like the tires are dated in late 2015. Just over 120 miles on tires but last night the rear was punctured by a roofing nail coming home from work right in the tread's center. Lucky for me I live less than a mile from work.

    I'm not sure if i should just replace both? the tires were obviously stored well, no signs of their age. Anyone have luck with easy options like Slime, old-school rubber puncture strips or a can of fix-a-flat? If so did it hold up?
    Last edited by Jeffro; 24th May 2019 at 15:01.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Should I change my tires?
    Should I change my tires?
    Red Rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    268
    Should I change my tires?-f2682d4d-37b7-4ff9-8a86-0dd7578924c0-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    I checked mine and it looks like the tires are dated in late 2015. Just over 120 miles on tires but last night the rear was punctured by a roofing nail coming home from work right in the tread's center. Lucky for me I live less than a mile from work.

    I'm not sure if i should just replace both? the tires were obviously stored well, no signs of their age. Anyone have luck with easy options like Slime, old-school rubber puncture strips or a can of fix-a-flat? If so did it hold up?
    If the puncture is in the center (best case scenario) and was not ridden on at low air pressure - which tends to cause hidden damage - then if it was mine, I would definitely plug the puncture. I’ve used plug repair on numerous bike and car tires over the years and have never had one fail. Only you can decide how “repairable” it looks. Follow the instructions on the plug kit and give it a try. If it continues to leak or if you screw up the process, no harm in trying.

    (Full disclosure: I was in the tire business for 18 years)

    Should I change my tires?-b075a086-3b3d-46be-a824-31ae92eaaf58-jpg Should I change my tires?-bbda3bac-46f0-4fab-998e-d8268552720c-jpg

    Photos are 2500 miles ago on my Michelin Road 5’s. That was one honkin’ big screw. Still going strong...
    Last edited by Red Rider; 24th May 2019 at 15:23.


    Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

  10. #30
    Senior Member Rapturee's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Post Falls IDAHO
    Posts
    943
    So far the tires are never on mine long enough to ever dry rot/crack before i wear them out and it's time to change them haha! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th November 2015, 21:46
  2. First Oil Change DIY or not?
    By DENC700X in forum Garage / Mechanical Help
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27th March 2015, 09:31
  3. 1st Oil change
    By Xcellor8 in forum NC700 Technical
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 21st December 2013, 21:18
  4. Oil Change, Valve Clearance Adjustment, and - Coolant change?
    By Daniszeman in forum Garage / Mechanical Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12th September 2013, 06:26
  5. did my first oil change
    By buckshot in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29th May 2013, 23:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •