Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I change my tires?

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Any tire protection would be a surface treatment. These are typically used on the sidewalls for cleaning and shine purposes.

I would not put anything on the tread surface. It would likely make the tire slippery and reduce traction.

People that own campers and RVs usually cover their tires to protect from the sunís damaging UV rays. Covering your bike sounds like a better option as it will protect the tires, seat, and everything else.

JT

Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    Quote Originally Posted by VersusAllOdds View Post
    Is there anything that can be applied to take care of your tires while you're not riding? Something equivalent to a cream for your skin? Maybe I'm talking nonsense - applying any oil based compound would definitely not be good for tires - if you're planning to ride them... still had to ask
    You can put stuff on the sidewalls to help preserve the tires... but the tread is basically grinding against asphalt any time you ride, might as well be sanding anything you put on it right off.

Otherwise general advice for storing anything probably applies.... Cool, Dry, out of direct sunlight.

Bike: NC700X
    Update:

The place I'm getting tires at actually has Pilot Road 5... I guess newer is better than older, so I'm getting that at approx 340 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    Any tire protection would be a surface treatment. These are typically used on the sidewalls for cleaning and shine purposes.

I would not put anything on the tread surface. It would likely make the tire slippery and reduce traction.

People that own campers and RVs usually cover their tires to protect from the sunís damaging UV rays. Covering your bike sounds like a better option as it will protect the tires, seat, and everything else.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by anglachel View Post
    You can put stuff on the sidewalls to help preserve the tires... but the tread is basically grinding against asphalt any time you ride, might as well be sanding anything you put on it right off.

Otherwise general advice for storing anything probably applies.... Cool, Dry, out of direct sunlight.
    Well the least I will do is keep it covered from sunlight. However temperatures during the summer can get pretty wild here, and there's 2-3 summer months that combine the high temperatures with high humidity... Unfortunately, there's no way for me to keep it indoors. The reason I was wondering if there's some kind of tire treatment is because I'll make a few month break.

One of the ideas I have is to keep the old tires on during the summer, when I'm not gonna ride much anyway... however, I might want to give the bike a go once a week and I have zero confidence in them... dilemmas, dilemmas...

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    I think you will just have to accept that tires will need to be replaced sooner in your environment. Itís the cost of where we live.
    Some people burn the center out of tires because of flat straight roads. Some people fight rust and corrosion all over their bikes due to a rainy environment. Some only get to ride a few months each year due to snow and ice.

It is what it is.

Maybe there is indoor storage spaces you can rent?

JT

Bike: NC700S, Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    Some people burn the center out of tires because of flat straight roads. Some people fight rust and corrosion all over their bikes due to a rainy environment. Some only get to ride a few months each year due to snow and ice.
    And some people have to contend with all 3...

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I’m glad you’ve decided to replace those tires. They’re shot, in my opinion.

A thought for why the old tires are so cracked: Perhaps the previous owner put used tires on, or perhaps they were new but had been in storage (without climate control?) for a few years.

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    Those tires are toast. The above advice about tire date is important. When you buy new tires, check the dates. Don't let someone sell you old ones.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2015 NC700x

my first flat

I checked mine and it looks like the tires are dated in late 2015. Just over 120 miles on tires but last night the rear was punctured by a roofing nail coming home from work right in the tread's center. Lucky for me I live less than a mile from work.

I'm not sure if i should just replace both? the tires were obviously stored well, no signs of their age. Anyone have luck with easy options like Slime, old-school rubber puncture strips or a can of fix-a-flat? If so did it hold up?
    Last edited by Jeffro; 24th May 2019 at 15:01.

Senior Member Should I change my tires?
    Should I change my tires?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Should I change my tires?-f2682d4d-37b7-4ff9-8a86-0dd7578924c0-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    I checked mine and it looks like the tires are dated in late 2015. Just over 120 miles on tires but last night the rear was punctured by a roofing nail coming home from work right in the tread's center. Lucky for me I live less than a mile from work.

I'm not sure if i should just replace both? the tires were obviously stored well, no signs of their age. Anyone have luck with easy options like Slime, old-school rubber puncture strips or a can of fix-a-flat? If so did it hold up?
    If the puncture is in the center (best case scenario) and was not ridden on at low air pressure - which tends to cause hidden damage - then if it was mine, I would definitely plug the puncture. I’ve used plug repair on numerous bike and car tires over the years and have never had one fail. Only you can decide how “repairable” it looks. Follow the instructions on the plug kit and give it a try. If it continues to leak or if you screw up the process, no harm in trying.

(Full disclosure: I was in the tire business for 18 years)

Should I change my tires?-b075a086-3b3d-46be-a824-31ae92eaaf58-jpg Should I change my tires?-bbda3bac-46f0-4fab-998e-d8268552720c-jpg

Photos are 2500 miles ago on my Michelin Road 5’s. That was one honkin’ big screw. Still going strong...
    Last edited by Red Rider; 24th May 2019 at 15:23.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    So far the tires are never on mine long enough to ever dry rot/crack before i wear them out and it's time to change them haha! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!