Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Tires?

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I’ve only run the Michelin (PR4) on the rear of my NCX. It was a good tire, but didn’t merit its higher price, for me. I liked the Angel GTs better for ‘sportiness.’ I now have a set of Continental ContiRoad Attacks on, and they’re excellent. They also come with a road hazard warranty.

If I was buying another set of tires right now, I’d go with Pirelli Angel GTs if I wanted the sport side of touring, or the ContiRoad Attacks for balanced sport-touring.

I have never had a set of ‘hyper’sport tires on the NCX.

Senior Member Next Tires?
    Next Tires?

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    At the risk of resurrecting a tire thread.... Don't ignore the Dunlop Roadsmart series. Very good wet traction (it does rain a bit up here in the PNW), good durability, and reasonably priced if you shop carefully.
    >T
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Senior Member Next Tires?Next Tires? kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    I've had the PR3 & PR 4 tires on my bike and thought they were some of the best tires I've ever used on any bike. Both times I've run them the rear tires got a flat while riding on the gravel roads around here. Some of the 151 town highway commissioners here use crushed slate (stone knives) on the roads they are responsible for. I switched to Shinko 705's and haven't had a flat since. The 705's are just OK, they're a lot noisier and have nowhere near the same grip but no flats. I got 7,000 miles out of the last rear tire and changed it out for another 705 this Spring. I'm still running the same front which still looks pretty good.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
    I've had the PR3 & PR 4 tires on my bike and thought they were some of the best tires I've ever used on any bike. Both times I've run them the rear tires got a flat while riding on the gravel roads around here. Some of the 151 town highway commissioners here use crushed slate (stone knives) on the roads they are responsible for. I switched to Shinko 705's and haven't had a flat since. The 705's are just OK, they're a lot noisier and have nowhere near the same grip but no flats. I got 7,000 miles out of the last rear tire and changed it out for another 705 this Spring. I'm still running the same front which still looks pretty good.
    This is probably why they make a "trail" version in certain sizes now, for adv bikes that also hit gravel roads. They are tri-compound with harder rubber in the middle. Tire looks the same, but supposedly has tougher rubber in the center.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700XDF, PC800, DR650
    I put Avon Spirit ST's in January.
    They work good on wet, and a 1200 mile run in the NC mountains. Very happy with them.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    After 10,000 miles on a Pilot Road 4 rear, I have to say that I'm going back to the Avon Trailrider AV54 again, which lasted as long on the road surfaces commonly found here, seemed to do as well on wet pavement, but handled and felt better to me on dry pavement, and did all off-pavement stuff better. This Avon tire should get way more attention, premium handling for an 80/20 that rivals any touring tire for longevity as well. Speaking of which the front, the AV53 has lasted me 27,000 miles so far and sill looks good and has good tread depth!

Ordered from American Moto Tire for $156 which is a great company, also available at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $159.

Last edited by greenboy; 1st July 2019 at 08:24.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700XE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostknight119 View Post
    Hello all! My angel GTs need to be changed. However, I don't know if there are better options out there.

Anyone has experience with the Diablo Rosso II or III ? What about the bridgestone S21?

Thanks peeps
    I'm discovering I have many more options with the 17" front than I had with the 19" on my Vstrom. I don't have experience with any tires other than what came on my NC700X but 3 tires are on my radar now, Pirelli Diablo Rossa Corsa 2, Dunlop Q3 Plus & Michelin Power RS. From all I've been able to learn online these may be the best options for anyone who pushes the limits & occasionally does a track day but wants at least 5K miles or more. They're a step under pure race tires which don't get warm enough to grip on the street & don't last long. Of these 3 the Michelin has slightly less stick but lasts longer. Thinking I may get one of these when it's time. These all use silica in the middle for longevity & carbon black on the sides for grip. I don't ride off-road or in the rain but I like dragging pegs on twisty roads & want all the grip I can get. Hours of Youtube watching carries less weight than personal experience so take this with a grain of salt.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
    I'm discovering I have many more options with the 17" front than I had with the 19" on my Vstrom. I don't have experience with any tires other than what came on my NC700X but 3 tires are on my radar now, Pirelli Diablo Rossa Corsa 2, Dunlop Q3 Plus & Michelin Power RS. From all I've been able to learn online these may be the best options for anyone who pushes the limits & occasionally does a track day but wants at least 5K miles or more. They're a step under pure race tires which don't get warm enough to grip on the street & don't last long. Of these 3 the Michelin has slightly less stick but lasts longer. Thinking I may get one of these when it's time. These all use silica in the middle for longevity & carbon black on the sides for grip. I don't ride off-road or in the rain but I like dragging pegs on twisty roads & want all the grip I can get. Hours of Youtube watching carries less weight than personal experience so take this with a grain of salt.

You should be offsetting your weight to avoid dragging pegs, as that could bite you in the butt if you hit a dip or bump mid-curve while your peg is alread on, or close to, the ground. It sounds cool to talk about dragging pegs, but it is not necessary and certainly not safe. Sportbikes don't even drag pegs on track, because they hang off the bike to offset weight and maintain low center of gravity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 21st June 2019 at 11:43.

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700XE
    2 more I'm reading about, Metzeler M7 RR & Bridgestone S22. These are all dual compound tires. Harder in the middle, softer on the sides. Grip + decent mileage without squaring off.

Senior Member Next Tires? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
    2 more I'm reading about, Metzeler M7 RR & Bridgestone S22. These are all dual compound tires. Harder in the middle, softer on the sides. Grip + decent mileage without squaring off.
    Yes, get any of these then a supersport liter bike to mount them on.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD