Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd Wear pattern PR4

Senior Member Odd Wear pattern PR4 davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Quote Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
    I was thinking maybe a wheel bearing. Will pull off the wheel this week for new tires and check everything.
    Before the ride mentioned in the first post, both sides looked the same. Only 100 miles changed the left. Might have been overinflated or hit a soft layer of rubber. I plan on using a Shinko 705 for the next tire, so if it does is again, won't cost me too much.
    Dale, they recently grind any of the curvy roads in your area where you ride: Dont think it is a bike issue-I had same issue on my Honda (2 sets of tires) and my C50 boulevard in the same period in 2015, and the wear pattern would show pretty quick after getting new tires. I commute to work, 60 miles of 76 round trip is Interstate-seems Louisville did some road work on the Watterson Xpressway; they grinded the road which did cause a higher than user crown in the roadways. I couldnt figure out the problem since the C50 was having the same issue (and both only on the front tires) and the C50 is shaft drive so couldnt have been a rear tire alignment issue and the front end was aligned correctly. For grins and giggles, I started using the 2nd far left lane on the Watterson and viola, wear pattern disappeared on both bikes and I didnt change anything on either bike.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I did ride maybe 15 miles on roads I hadn't used before that looked like they had recently been chip sealed.

I have also noticed some squirrelyness the last few rides. Figured it was the worn tires. I do plan to check the suspension, bearings etc.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I’m interested in learning what the cause is. I’m not good at this kind of diagnosis on a m/c. On a car, that’s an alignment problem, or less commonly worn out shocks or bushings. I don’t know for sure what it is on an m/c.

I looked at some online videos and got more confused because most of those were at the track...trying to set air pressure and suspensions. The experts were showing the difference of 1/2 pound.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Weird tire wear is often discussed on all the motorcycle forums.

Front tire cupping or scalloped or uneven wear patterns are often the effect of braking over a the life of the tire.

The tire tread and tread blocks deform under braking forces ........this deformation wear often shows as the blocks wear alternating or every other block. Think of as wear that is the opposite of road or trail wash boards ( whopps) caused from braking or acceleration

Along with braking forces the front tire is subject to the steering forces which causes tread to deform and wear unevenly.

Link to article on motorcycle tire odd wear........( tilted) more towards cruisers and rear tire wear:

Motorcycle Tire Wear

Dozens of examples of weird tire wear on YouTube ..........but very few with conclusive info and cause.
    Last edited by showkey; 4th March 2019 at 14:43.

Banned
    Bike: NC700X
    Put the bike up on the center stand (if you have one), and check for slop in either the rear wheel bearings, or the swing arm by pushing/pulling the wheel from side to side.

pulled the wheels, bearings are tight. Can't see anything else wrong. Ordered tires. Will have them mounted and we'll see what happens next.