Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Best 50/50 tires, what do you like and why

Bike: Nc700X

Best 50/50 tires, what do you like and why

Time to start thinking about new tires for my NC, I do quite a bit of exploring around Minnesota and would like to go with a 50/50 tire setup, what do you guys like and why? My original tires are at just over 4,000 miles, and off road traction is poor. Good wear characteristics is a real plus.
    Thanks for your replys.

Senior Member Best 50/50 tires, what do you like and why Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Sorry for this, I know you'll not like it, but you have to start from here: https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/
    I had similar questions and what I actually learned is: the tires are (generally) personal preferences and there is no right of wrong.
    I trust this guy, FortNine and his "opinion", this is where I also started: YouTube
    Since I'm planing to "explore (gravel roads of) Iowa", my plan is to buy Shinko 705. Sadly, they don't last long, so if I don't like them, next time I'm gonna order something else. I would like to buy Heidenau K60 but they are expensive, I can buy 2-3 sets of Shinko.
    And, additional note, what I learned from the guys I trust on this forum, "regular" street tires can do some basic off-road/gravel road just fine. In my case it's Michelin PR4.

Hope this can help you anyway...
    Last edited by Afan; 11th February 2019 at 06:14.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I know of an inmate running shinko 805's. He posts a lot on you tube. Vman1313.
    Others rate these a pretty good buy.

YouTube
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2012 NC700XA
    I run a Continental TKC-80 on the front and Shinko 805 on the back. They both have excellent manners on the road. Offroad the Shinko needs some grooving to improve it's lateral grip in mud and loose conditions, but is otherwise pretty good. The TKC-80 does as well as can be expected for a 17" front but wears funny if you drop the pressure.

If you hit snow or slush on the road the TKC grips OK but the 805 is scarry.

There are arguments for other rear tires but the Shinko is the obvious value winner for me. There is nothing else out there in our size that can touch the TKC-80 on the front.

Bike: Nc700X
    Thank you for your help.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I too like/prefer the Shinko 705's. Just can't beat the price and a great tire! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    A 50/50 tire is a tall order............your asking for equality on road and off. The question then-is equally good or equally poor.

In the tire compromise evaluation it is far easier to grade tires in 80/20 or 70/30 splits.

Bike: 2012 NC700XA
    I can give you more opinion but I think you should trust the staff at Fortnine more than some guy on the internet with limited experience in what he is talking about (myself). I went with grip over millage as a newer rider, and figured I could switch to higher mileage tires after the first set wore out. On soupy sloppy "roads" I don't like the idea of less grip than what I have, and I like their road manners, so I will keep buying the tires I am running until I either move or something better comes out.

Here is what Ryan at Fortnine has to say about ADV and Dualsport tires: Best Adventure and Dual-Sport Tires | FortNine

Figure out your priorities and where you can compromise.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 15th February 2019 at 12:55.