Thread: How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?

Bike: 2015 NC700X

How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?

I just bought another set of the Shinko 705's which will be my 3rd rear tire and 2nd front tire. Unfortunately I cannot install them myself and will have to pay a little more, but I got them during an Ebay %15 off shipped both to my house for ~$149. I was at first very tempted to try the Michelin Pilot Road 5's but couldn't justify the cost difference. I do roughly ~50 miles a day commuting M-F, go on 1-2 big trips a year and the occasional weekend camping trip.

Here is my current Shinko 705 rear tire at a little over 9,500 miles:

How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?-rear-2-jpg
    How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?-rear-3-jpg
    How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?-rear-tire-1-jpg

Here is my Shinko 705 front tire at a little over 17,600 miles:

(Look at the 2nd picture closely to see some bulging I am not sure what that is but I am sure it means it's ready to be replace)

How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?-front-3-jpg
    How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?-front-2-jpg
    How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?-front-tire-1-jpg

How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?-new-tires-jpg

I feel these tires have lasted me a really long time but am I trying to stretch too many miles out of them?

How long have you been getting out of your make and model of tires on the NC700?

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Hey Holl, that is fantastic mileage!! Good for you! I'm so glad to hear that you have had such good luck with your 705's. After reading a lot of reviews and great feed-back from a lot of folks here, I have decided to run a set/pair of them on my NC for my Alaska trip spring of 2019. Those should easily last me up there and back! I only got 5800 miles out of my original factory tires, so i grabbed a pair that were on sale just to get me through the remainder of this riding season. I have a local/small Mom-Pop tire shop that lets me use their tire machine so i can do my own. Then balance them myself as well with the axle shaft on a pair of stands. Works pretty good to! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700? StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    I ride Continental Motion tires and get 10K out of them consistenly.

Do the Shinko tires have "TWI" marks? Thread Wear Indicators? If so, that might help you determine when they've worn down enough to be replaced.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Iíve only ever run pure street tires on my NCX. Without checking my service log closely, I believe Iíve had all the different tires Iíve tried last from 10k to 15k miles for a rear tire. Fronts last longer for me. Maybe 2x as long, maybe not, but much longer than rears. Iíve run Metzeler, Michelin, Continental, and Pirelli on the NCX. The Contis lasted the shortest for me, but were the lowest priced. Longest lasting were either OEM Metzies or Michelins, but I havenít worn out a rear Pirelli yet for comparison.

Senior Member How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollaway21 View Post
    How long have you been getting out of your make and model of tires on the NC700?
    First off, I want say how knarly those tires look on your bike. For looks alone I would give them a try

Factory tires were Pirelli Scorpions. Replaced at 10,260 miles.

Next were Michelin Pilot V replaced at 10,558 miles.

After the Michelins I tried Dunlop RoadSmart II. Liked these a lot. Replaced at 11,114 miles. Liked the RoadSmarts so much I went looking for another pair....

Found out the RoadSmart III had replaced the II so I spooned a pair of IIIs on. Today, after 17,556 miles, I replaced just the rear. Front looks hardly worn but I haven't measured it.

My go to tire is now the Dunlop RoadSmartIII. Love it.

EDIT: every single one of these tires sets EXCEPT for the RoadSmartIII were replaced prematurely. I was heading out on a long ride and couldn't be bothered with tire changes mid trip. All of those tires could have gone thousands of miles more. I also run TPMs.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 5th October 2018 at 16:04.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Senior Member How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700? kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    I was heading out on a long ride and couldn't be bothered with tire changes mid trip. All of those tires could have gone thousands of miles more. I also run TPMs.
    Long ride, heh.

Junior Member How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700? New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    When I was trying to decide whether to try and commute on a bike I was talking to the Honda salesman and mentioned that one of the factors involved is the higher cost of MC parts. He wanted to claim that wasn't true and when I pointed out that tires alone can cost more for two than 4 on my pickup he couldn't believe it. I had also priced other parts for comparison like the radiator which is 5 times more than the one I just got for my pickup. I did know going in that tires alone would make a big difference in total cost per mile and I know that I will probably have to replace the factory tires around 10k, if I'm lucky. Thank you ld_rider, I know that I will be getting the Dunlops when that happens.

Anyway, let me spell it out. 4 tires on my pickup run me under $300 and last around 40 to 50 thousand miles. I don't expect that on the bike. If I get 15k (average) and pay less than $400 a pair then I think that I'll be happy. I am much more laid back than I was with my last bike though. I haven't smoked the tire all the way through the intersection with this bike.

Revzilla has the RS3's shipped for about $300....yikes. :{)

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I've been running the Bridgestone brand since new.

OE tires were the T23's, upgraded to the T30, and now have the T30 Evo's. Current mileage is 25,000 with the T30 Evo rear needing replacement soon. Average it all out and it is about 8k-ish on the Bridgestones.

Mostly commuting 20 miles a day with some weekend jaunts.

just on FleaBay and they have the 705's delivered for $142 for the pair! :{)