Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding?

Senior Member Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding?Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding? kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
    And there is nothing wrong with commuting on Shinko705's
    I replaced the Pilot Road 3's I had on the bike with the 705's after getting a couple holes poked into them on some of the crushed shale covered dirt roads around here. I like the 705's rain or shine though they are quite a bit noisier than the Pilots, cheaper too.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    Front is 36, Rear is 42 (PSI).... how much air would you let out?
    Depending on the weight i'm carrying, I usually run right about F28-30/R32-34. I notice the difference and it handles/tracks well for me. As 670 mentioned, i also slow down to a nice cruise. I have an area that i ride a few times a year that is about 150 miles with nearly 34 miles of moderate to rough road. Just a few minutes at each end and it sure makes for a more enjoyable ride for me. All said and done, OP- use what works for you and what you are comfortable with. Ride On!! :{)
    Last edited by Rapturee; 28th June 2018 at 20:26.
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: VFR1200X, CRF1000L, NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    I run a TKC80/Shinko 805 combo at 26f 30r and it works pretty well for my mixed riding. If it's really sloppy out I will lower them to 20/25. Lower and I start smacking the rim, higher and they get bouncy and darty. My regular commute is over 1/3 soft gravel so I enjoy the more aggressive tires, but the bike did pretty OK with the street tires on gravel when I first got it.
    Do you run the TKC80 up front in this setup?

I'm trying to decide what tires to put on my daughter's NC700X. She wants to ride off pavement a fair amount and being a new rider, I want her to have all the advantages I can get her. I was thinking about going with TKC80 front and Shinko 805 rear for her bike to give her confidence off pavement.

Just wondering how this setup works on pavement with the NC700X.

Bike: DCT
    TKC80 for the front handled my AT well on all types of terrain as well.

The rear 805 combination is OK but as the tires wear out (around 1k+ miles),
    the noise and vibration on pavement, is something you have to endure.
    IMO, if you and your daughter want to ride "offroad" and enjoy it,
    a proper introduction to trail riding would be more appropriate on a more appropriate sized bike:
    Honda makes them

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post

I'm trying to decide what tires to put on my daughter's NC700X. She wants to ride off pavement a fair amount and being a new rider, I want her to have all the advantages I can get her. I was thinking about going with TKC80 front and Shinko 805 rear for her bike to give her confidence off pavement.

Attached Images Attached Images Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding?-cornerspeed4-1-jpg 

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Is that photo from the school in Georgia?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post

New rider, off pavement, on a 500 pound motorcycle? Take DCTFAN’s advice and get some proper training on a small dirt bike.

I ride rough and tough off-road parks with sand, rocks, ruts, and hills on a 218 pound, 144cc trail bike. It teaches me to handle all types of terrain, and it also makes me a better street rider. Knock on dirt, I haven’t dropped a street bike for the last 30 years.
    Last edited by 670cc; 29th June 2018 at 08:10.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinfree.00 View Post
    Is that photo from the school in Georgia?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Cornerspeed. c o m is in Salisbury, NC

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bike: nc700 dct
    Good to know. I rode from san francisco to whisler, bc (canada) on my nc700x back in 2017 on pilot road 4 tires. however it was all pavement. Planning a trip this year from san francisco to fairbanks, alaska. Reading this thread to find out if i really need to get tires shinko's or tk's. So far, i read that its very do-able on the pilot road 4's

Senior Member Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding?
    Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding?
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Having a small dirt bike that you ride regularly on dirt can and will make a huge difference in your confidence-level when riding dirt roads on your NC. :-)

Senior Member Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding?
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    Quote Originally Posted by kjang View Post
    Good to know. I rode from san francisco to whisler, bc (canada) on my nc700x back in 2017 on pilot road 4 tires. however it was all pavement. Planning a trip this year from san francisco to fairbanks, alaska. Reading this thread to find out if i really need to get tires shinko's or tk's. So far, i read that its very do-able on the pilot road 4's
    I'm fairly close to you and also planning an Alaska trip this summer, haven't figured out exactly where though. Was thinking probably farther north - maybe even Tuk (I know, not in Alaska).