Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No more pilot road 4 for the NC.

Senior Member No more pilot road 4 for the NC. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    I just got a Pilot Road 2 installed from Cycle Gear. The tire was ~$155 USD. $30 cheaper than the 5. Installation was $30.

The 5 is probably incrementally better than the 2, but I'm not a good enough rider to know the difference. This is a good time to get a deal on one of the older versions.
    How old is that PR2? IIRC the 2 was discontinued in 2012.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member No more pilot road 4 for the NC.
    Bike: '14 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    How old is that PR2? IIRC the 2 was discontinued in 2012.
    Date code is 3217.

I know that tires degrade with time and that it occurs both on the bike and in the warehouse, but the degradation in the warehouse has to be at a much slower rate. Even if these tires were 5 or 6 years old or older, I have no doubt that they would still be safe.

That being said, I am a geologist and tires are not made of rocks.
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

Senior Member No more pilot road 4 for the NC. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    Date code is 3217.

I know that tires degrade with time and that it occurs both on the bike and in the warehouse, but the degradation in the warehouse has to be at a much slower rate. Even if these tires were 5 or 6 years old or older, I have no doubt that they would still be safe.

That being said, I am a geologist and tires are not made of rocks.
    A tire manufactured the 32nd week of 2017 is very fresh, no worries. I'm amazed they still made the Pilot Road 2 that recently but I looked it up and the 160/60-17 size we need is still a current part number.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    After a few more miles I am not completely happy with the road 5. To me it seems to have less traction accelerating out of turns.
    But it might just be in my mind. I am really not a skilled enough rider to have an expert opinion.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Commuter Extraordinaire No more pilot road 4 for the NC.
    No more pilot road 4 for the NC.
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    After a few more miles I am not completely happy with the road 5. To me it seems to have less traction accelerating out of turns.
    But it might just be in my mind. I am really not a skilled enough rider to have an expert opinion.
    I have about 300 miles on my set of Road 5s so I have not fully developed an opinion. I have not ridden in the rain either so can't speak for grip in wet conditions but I have zero complaints so far. I still think the front PR tire has a quicker cut-in or tipping point (don't know the technical term) than the others I have used. That might bother some people. I also feel I have less road noise coming through the forks than I did with the last set of Conti's which only made it 9000 miles.

I was being chased by a Harley this morning and decided to give him a run for his money so it was the hardest ride since the new tires. Pushed it hard on several turns and they held very well. I will start pushing them much harder in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by SergeantChuck; 13th July 2018 at 08:50.

Senior Member No more pilot road 4 for the NC.
    No more pilot road 4 for the NC.
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantChuck View Post
    I have about 300 miles on my set of Road 5s so I have not fully developed an option. I have not ridden in the rain either so can't speak for grip in wet conditions but I have zero complaints so far. I still think the front PR tire has a quicker cut-in or tipping point (don't know the technical term) than the others I have used. That might bother some people. I also feel I have less road noise coming through the forks than I did with the last set of Conti's which only made it 9000 miles.

I was being chased by a Harley this morning and decided to give him a run for his money so it was the hardest ride since the new tires. Pushed it hard on several turns and they held very well. I will start pushing them much harder in the coming weeks.
    3000 miles and counting on my PR5’s. They’ve been outstanding for me in every condition. A lot of those miles were through the mountains - twisting, leaning, power in and power out... never felt an issue. Pricey but I luv ‘em.