Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The red dot on the tire.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    guys, guys, don't fight! just buy a 55-gallon drum of RIDE-ON and fill the tires to the brim!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me

Super Moderator The red dot on the tire. 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post
    guys, guys, don't fight! just buy a 55-gallon drum of RIDE-ON and fill the tires to the brim!
    Yes, I thought about that. But I hope they give a quantity discount at Ride-On. In 8 ounce bottles, Ride-On for motorcycles sells for about $1.87 per ounce. At that rate, a 55 gallon drum of Ride-On would cost over $13,000! That just illustrates how overpriced that stuff is.
    Last edited by 670cc; 14th January 2017 at 07:16.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member The red dot on the tire. Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750X Kawasaki KLX351
    It's just such a rare thing the the weight needed will result in having to spin the tire 180. Maybe one in 50 tires I've mounted result in having to move the tire. I used a tire machine that holds the rim so moving the tire 180 is not a issue.
    Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 14th January 2017 at 07:19.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Balance beads and balance liquids are one of the most controversial topics right next to high flow air filters.

Bottom line there are NO tire or vehicle manufactures that use the products and none recommended there use. Most have some sort of warnings against using them for balance or sealing.

Motorcycle Consumer News did a rode test on balance beads a number of years back concluding they did not work to balance the motorcycle tires.

It is surprising no one else has conducted an engineering study or double blind road test to see if a rider could reliably pick out conventional balance from unbalanced from liquid or bead balanced.

If you google the topic there are 1000's of hits with 10's of thousands posts on dozens of forums for or against the products.

A number of years ago I had access to high end automotive tire spin balancer. The balancer could balance the automotive tire and wheel assembly with repeatability to a few grams. This topic came at lunch........so we purchased beads, soft pellets and liquids. Then tried to balance the tires or check the balance on the spin balancer. At no time did any of the multitude of tires ever show balanced with the added beads or liquids. ( yes i am aware there is whole argument or theory the tire must be suspended on the vehicle) . The lunch crew then switched to an on car balancer, again an epic fail.

We did have fun with this project.......tried 1/8" and 1/4" ball bearings ( they were noise at low speed) then one brain trust said we need more weight/mass. Golf balls !!! That was funny.

Maybe this should be a job for myth busters. ( there is a new show) White Rabbit project

Again one of those topics ..........that never ends. Carry on
    Last edited by showkey; 14th January 2017 at 19:37.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    yeah, i don't use QuadBoss to balance (and they are one of the companies who don't make any big claims about this BTW). I use it because it works well to seal common punctures. I have spoke weights on my WR and had my NC balanced. I got into QuadBoss when I was riding quads because I had enough flats on a regular basis that I was willing to see. And it really made a difference. Similarly, I found that I liked it and Tubliss™ better than punctures and pinch flats on my WR250R. For my NC it's a little extra insurance for the off-road especially. I wonder if it redistributes heat in a favorable or unfavorable fashion sometimes, but then forget about it...

i really don't care what various tire companies say, companies tend to be pretty conservative about product associations and liability ; }

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me

Senior Member The red dot on the tire.
    The red dot on the tire.
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    [...To each his/her own, but I'd rather just check the bare wheel balance first, know where to put the tire, and do it all right just once...]

+1 on that. I can't imagine going backwards and rebraking both sides of the tire from the rim so I could spin the tire and retry.

ps. I've found that certain (perhaps all?) Avons and Michelins, lack a balance mark on the tire.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    [...To each his/her own, but I'd rather just check the bare wheel balance first, know where to put the tire, and do it all right just once...]

+1 on that. I can't imagine going backwards and rebraking both sides of the tire from the rim so I could spin the tire and retry.

ps. I've found that certain (perhaps all?) Avons and Michelins, lack a balance mark on the tire.
    Yes my Michelin PR4's don't have any mark.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700XDF, PC800, DR650
    I have PR4's with no mark and 2 oz weight opposite the valve stem when balanced.

Bike: NC700 DCT Motus MST
    I agree with balancing the wheel first as the valve is not necessarily the heaviest spot.
    My ST1300 rear wheel had a powder blue arrow pointing to an 0 mark about 3" from the valve indicating that was the heavy spot.
    I then mount the tire (noting directional arrow) with usually a yellow circle on it adjacent the valve (heavy spot) of the wheel.

Bike: NC700X DCT
    The red dot is not necessarily the heaviest spot of the tire.

From Yokohama:

To facilitate proper balancing, Yokohama places red and yellow marks on the sidewalls of its tires to enable the best possible match-mounting of the tire/wheel assembly. There are two methods of match-mounting Yokohama tires to wheel assemblies using these red or yellow marks:

Uniformity (red mark)
    Weight (yellow mark)

1) UNIFORMITY METHOD
    When performing uniformity match-mounting, the red mark on the tire, indicating the point of maximum radial force variation, should be aligned with the wheel assembly's point of minimum radial run-out, which is generally indicated by a colored dot or a notch somewhere on the wheel assembly (consult manufacturer for details). Radial force variation is the fluctuation in the force that appears in the rotating axis of a tire when a specific load is applied and the tire rotated at a specific speed. It is necessary to minimize radial force variation to ensure trouble-free installation and operation. Not all wheel assemblies indicate the point of minimum radial run-out, rendering uniformity match-mounting sometimes impossible. If the point of minimum radial run-out is not indicated on a wheel assembly, the weight method of match-mounting should be used instead.

During the mounting process, proper lubrication is a must.

Lubricate both top and bottom beads with an approved tire lubricant. If the beads do not seat at 40 psi, break the entire assembly down and relubricate the bead areas.

Warning: Improper mounting, underinflation, overloading or tire damage may result in tire failure, which may lead to serious injury. Tire and rim sizes must correspond for proper fit and application. Never exceed 40 psi to seat beads.

Warning: Tire changing can be dangerous, and should be done only by trained persons using proper tools and procedures established by the Rubber Manufacturers Association. Failure to comply with proper procedures may result in incorrect positioning of the tire, tube, or wheel assembly, causing the assembly to burst with explosive force sufficient to cause serious physical injury or death. Never mount or use damaged tires, tubes or wheel assemblies.

2) WEIGHT METHOD
    When performing weight match-mounting, the yellow mark on the tire, indicating the point of lightest weight, should be aligned with the valve stem on the wheel assembly, which represents the heaviest weight point of the wheel assembly. After match-mounting by either of the above methods, the tire/wheel assembly can be balanced.