Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for new tires?

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    To be honest, given the intended use of the tyres @ 90/10% road offroad, a good set of road tyres will do the job just as well on gravel surfaces as some of the so called dual purpose tyres on the market. I favoured PR4's on my NC as they suited the bike very well indeed. They had excellent wet and dry performance, and on the occasions when I ventured on to gravel surfaces they did just as well as I needed them to do.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Bike: NC700x
    I scraped up my PR4 go up hill in gravel. Had lots of noticeable long scrapes some 1/2 way around the tire due to wheel spin.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    To be honest, given the intended use of the tyres @ 90/10% road offroad, a good set of road tyres will do the job just as well on gravel surfaces as some of the so called dual purpose tyres on the market. I favoured PR4's on my NC as they suited the bike very well indeed. They had excellent wet and dry performance, and on the occasions when I ventured on to gravel surfaces they did just as well as I needed them to do.
    A lot depends on inner construction as well as the obvious differences in tread patterns and depth. But deeper tread patterns that carry though do tend to flex differently, and that can have some bearing on longevity if there is a lot of off-road use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Senior Member Suggestions for new tires? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels4fun View Post
    I scraped up my PR4 go up hill in gravel. Had lots of noticeable long scrapes some 1/2 way around the tire due to wheel spin.
    Work hard at keeping the rear tire hooked up. Higher gear, lower rpm, smooth throttle. Spinning the tire accomplishes nothing on low traction surfaces and leads to loss of control sooner rather than later.

Like Griff said above, I'm on pavement 99% of the time and prioritize street handling and traction above all else and make that tire work as best it can on gravel or dirt for the little time it's off pavement.

For me I choose Bridgestone T30s.

Bike: NC700X
    I also like the bridgeston T30 because of the use of different hardness of the rubber at diferent locations on the tire. They do handle nice on the road.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: NC700X DCT, WR250X
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post
    If you like to hang it out more, Avon Trailriders. They clobber Shinko 705 for traction on dry or especially wet pavement and have a good feel with road feedback without harshness. They do pretty good off the pavement too, other than mud or sand which is the bane of anything not knobby. They cost more though... hopefully they last a long time like some have said.
    I just installed a mullet system. TKC80 up front and the Avon Trailrider in back. Runs great on highway, havent been offroad yet. Stock size with both tires, no need to raise fender.

Bike: Honda NC700X DCT, Yamaha Super Tenere
    Avon Trailriders....take a serious look at them. Smooth on pavement and competent on gravel roads. I have them on my 2012 NC

Really want to put on Metzeler Tourance will need to go outside of stock size. Great ride so my go for it. Has anyone tried $$$$ Heidenau K60 Scouts? Here in the wet PNW, I'd like a 90/10. Or 80/20 that I can trust. The stock Dunlops really suck ***.

Bike: NC700X, XL350R, CT90 (need to sell), IT175, VFR700 (gone)
    I like Conti Motions, but rear life is only about 5k miles for me (center wear, I'm not a peg dragger). Front is good for two rears. $150 a set delivered from American Moto Tire. Mounting runs me $50/tire, so a longer life tire might be worth it. Wish I had a mounting/changer as I am afraid to abuse the rim like I can with wire spoked dirt bike tires.

I have a set of "Full Bore" tires that seem to work really well on the road. Still new, so lifetime is tbd. Only "off road" experience I've had on them is in a gravel parking lot and on an unpaved (dry) road leading to a camp site, so can't comment on that. They have some dual-sport, mx, and touring tires too, but not the correct dimensions.