Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "correct" tyre pressure

Bike: nc750x

Question "correct" tyre pressure

finally after 2 years+ on the stock scorpion tyres

i replace it with PR4
    manufacturer recommended 36F and 42R psi

i'm weight about 60kg, with a HB topbox, not much load in it.

should i go lower on the tyre pressure?
    how should i test it?

hope i dont open a can of worm...

Bike: NC700X
    Whatever is says on the sidewall of the tire minus 10% is close enough. On cold tires.

#1 Elite "correct" tyre pressure
    "correct" tyre pressure
    Bike: NC-less
    Some used to say that the pressure is right when it increases 10% from cold to hot. I think that is good race track guidance, but too low for best wear on the street. I shoot for 2 psi increase from cold to hot. Less than that and the tires are over-inflated and more than that, the tires are under-inflated.

After you do all the work, you will likely find that 36 front and 40 rear are about right.

Senior Member "correct" tyre pressure dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    36/40 is good. I think 42 rear is better but I weigh a little more at 70 kg.

A rear Bridgestone T30 Evo at 38 psi cold will rise to 44 lbs hot when ridden fast and 42 cold to 46 lbs hot. 38 rises 16% and 42 only 9.5%. Until I installed tire pressure monitors I would routinely run somewhat lower tire pressures than I do now especially on rear tires.

The front tire on these bikes runs very cold unless you are pushing it hard with lots of braking for corners. 36 might rise to 39 or 40 under heavy use but just running down the road it barely gets to 38.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT was 700X dct
    Ambient temperature make a big difference. The recommendations assume you are setting them 'cold' ie you haven't been riding the bike, but in a workshop where the ambient temperature is 20 degrees. It follows that if you are setting them on a cold winters day at say about 3 degrees centigrade, you should underinflate by 10%. Vice versa if you are setting them on a scorching 35 degree summer day.
    Mike

had a night ride just now

from 36F become 37psi

40R become 42psi

so far, the handling feels good.

will try on a hot afternoon tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by hwtan36 View Post
    had a night ride just now

from 36F become 37psi

40R become 42psi

so far, the handling feels good.

will try on a hot afternoon tomorrow.
    From what little I have learnt about the subject it seems that you are underworking the tyre - probably because of your light weight. If the rubber was getting to the correct temperature the pressures should have gone up to about 40 front and 44 rear. As I understand it you should run the tyres softer so for instance try 33 front and it should get up to 36 when warmed up and 37 rear should get to 41 ...... but more informed riders may contradict this.
    Mike

#1 Elite "correct" tyre pressure
    "correct" tyre pressure
    Bike: NC-less
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
    but more informed riders may contradict this.
    I wouldn't contradict it Mike, but it kind of depends on what you are trying to optimize. For instance, you will not get maximum traction and maximum tire life at the same setting. I think the 10% guidance (roughly 4 psi rise) gives optimum performance. However, 2 psi rise gives better tire life without sacrificing too much on grip. For me with PR4's that comes at 36/40. If I am just putting on road miles and not grinding the nubs off on the Dragon, I am likely to run 38/42 (especially if carrying a larger than normal load). Two to four psi rise is a good range to work within.

thanks guys, will try out different pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerphile View Post
    I wouldn't contradict it Mike, but it kind of depends on what you are trying to optimize. For instance, you will not get maximum traction and maximum tire life at the same setting. I think the 10% guidance (roughly 4 psi rise) gives optimum performance. However, 2 psi rise gives better tire life without sacrificing too much on grip. For me with PR4's that comes at 36/40. If I am just putting on road miles and not grinding the nubs off on the Dragon, I am likely to run 38/42 (especially if carrying a larger than normal load). Two to four psi rise is a good range to work within.
    I reasoned that in the UK winter with crappy roads at close to zero deg C it's better to go for grip, and the 20 degree difference in ambient temperature compared to the reference pressure setting (36/42) combined with me always riding solo with no luggage suggested my cold settings should be 31/38. It's certainly improved the ride for me and when I have meaured the pressures after even a few miles they have increased by 10% so for me it's a safety thing.
    Mike